The mailbox isn't available. This may have occurred because the license for the mailbox has expired. RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All

One of my user is disabled in AD as the user has left the organization. I have given myself full access to the users mailbox. the users mailbox is automapped for me in outlook, but from OWA when i try to open the mailbox i am getting the below error. does this not work in owa.

The mailbox isn't available. This may have occurred because the license for the mailbox has expired.

Tuesday, April 14, 2020 4:47 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Try re-enabling the user in AD, and please also refer to the official document: Remove a former employee from Office 365

If you want to access the content in the user's mailbox, you could convert that user mailbox to a shared mailbox, and note the following things:

The user mailbox you're converting needs a license assigned to it before you convert it to a shared mailbox. Otherwise, you won't see the option to convert the mailbox. If you've removed the license, add it back so you can convert the mailbox. After converting the mailbox to a shared one, you can remove the license from the user's account.

Shared mailboxes can have up to 50GB of data without a license assigned to them. To hold more data than that, you need a license assigned to it. 

Don't delete the old user's account. That's required to anchor the shared mailbox.

Regards,

Joyce Shen

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, April 15, 2020 2:36 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Try re-enabling the user in AD, and please also refer to the official document: Remove a former employee from Office 365

If you want to access the content in the user's mailbox, you could convert that user mailbox to a shared mailbox, and note the following things:

The user mailbox you're converting needs a license assigned to it before you convert it to a shared mailbox. Otherwise, you won't see the option to convert the mailbox. If you've removed the license, add it back so you can convert the mailbox. After converting the mailbox to a shared one, you can remove the license from the user's account.

Shared mailboxes can have up to 50GB of data without a license assigned to them. To hold more data than that, you need a license assigned to it. 

Don't delete the old user's account. That's required to anchor the shared mailbox.

Regards,

Joyce Shen

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, April 15, 2020 2:36 AM
  • Hi,

Do suggestions above help? If you have any questions or needed further help on this issue, please feel free to post back. If the issue has been resolved, please mark the helpful replies as answers, this will make answer searching in the forum easier and be beneficial to other community members as well.

Regards,

Joyce Shen

Friday, April 17, 2020 7:48 AM