none
Schema Upgrading RRS feed

• Question

• Hi. I recently upgraded my servers (DCs were at 2012R2 and 2019). I upgraded the schema from 2003 (a nightmare left for me by the previous admin) to 2012R2. I have since decommissioned the 2012R2 DCs and have two 2019 DCs. The GUI schema tools show the Domain and Forest schema as 2012R2, upgrade-able to 2016. I know that that is as far as the GUI will go, and I would like to tell it to update the schema, but.... when I checked using CLI/PS, the schema reports back as 88, in other words...2019.

Would it be harmful to tell the GUI to change to 2016? Will this affect the CLI/PS or the actual schema level? I know it is possible to lower the schema level. Would changing it via the GUI force the actual schema version to revert to 2016, or be harmful in any way?

I'd appreciate any insight.

Thanks.

Thursday, November 21, 2019 9:56 PM

All replies

• Might also check;

Get-ADDomain
    Get-ADForest

then check the resulting ForestModeDomainMode

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows Server] Datacenter Management

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

Friday, November 22, 2019 12:24 AM
    Owner
  • Please re-read my post. The issue is not determining what I have...I know what I have. I am simply asking if there'd be an issue in doing the schema update via the GUI. That being said....running the above commands both showed the forest/domain as 2012R2. But then why would the other Powershell checks provide me with an 88?
    Friday, November 22, 2019 2:06 PM
  • I am simply asking if there'd be an issue in doing the schema update via the GUI. 

Should not be an issue.

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows Server] Datacenter Management

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

Friday, November 22, 2019 2:10 PM
    Owner
  • Hi,

Just checking in to see if the information provided was helpful. Please let us know if you would like further assistance.

Best Regards,

Vicky

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, November 26, 2019 12:56 AM
  • Hi,

Just want to confirm the current situations.

Please feel free to let us know if you need further assistance.

Best Regards,

Vicky

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, November 28, 2019 1:17 AM