none
Restore site collection from on-premise SharePoint RRS feed

• Question

• Hello.

I have a SharePoint 2019 site collection on-premise.  I have taken a backup using backup-spsite but can't find the commands to restore it to my Office 365 SharePoint site.  Can anyone help with the best way to do this please?  Do I just not have enough permissions to access the commands?

Thanks in advance.

Tuesday, November 19, 2019 5:11 PM

Answers

• Hi Ted,

From the Step 1a of the TechNet blog, in the Note section, it says:

"SPO migration pipe is oriented for list and document library content only"

So, the solution should be for list and library content, not the entire site collection content.

If you want to migrate the content of a site collection from SharePoint On-premise to SharePoint Online, you can save the site collection as a template on On-premise and create a new site collection on SharePoint Online using the new template.

More information, refer to the following article:

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/create-and-use-site-templates-60371b0f-00e0-4c49-a844-34759ebdd989

Or, you can use a third party tool to migrate the content.

Best Regards, 

Lisa Chen 

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

SharePoint Server 2019 has been released, you can click here to download it.
    Click here to learn new features. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about SharePoint Server 2019.

Wednesday, November 20, 2019 7:46 AM

All replies

• Hi Ted,

From the Step 1a of the TechNet blog, in the Note section, it says:

"SPO migration pipe is oriented for list and document library content only"

So, the solution should be for list and library content, not the entire site collection content.

If you want to migrate the content of a site collection from SharePoint On-premise to SharePoint Online, you can save the site collection as a template on On-premise and create a new site collection on SharePoint Online using the new template.

More information, refer to the following article:

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/create-and-use-site-templates-60371b0f-00e0-4c49-a844-34759ebdd989

Or, you can use a third party tool to migrate the content.

Best Regards, 

Lisa Chen 

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn new features. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about SharePoint Server 2019.

Wednesday, November 20, 2019 7:46 AM
  • Hi Ted,

If a reply helps you, please remember to mark it as an answer.

Thanks for your understanding. 

Best Regards, 

Lisa Chen 

Friday, November 22, 2019 11:47 AM
  • Hello, and thanks for the reply.

That's a shame, I thought Microsoft would have allowed me to import my on-premise sites to O365.  What tools do you recommend for this?  I don't want to rebuild the site collection from scratch.

Tuesday, November 26, 2019 8:42 AM
  • Hi Ted, 

You can use Sharegate to migrate site collection from on-premise to SharePoint online. 

https://sharegate.com/products/sharegate-desktop/migration?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI7tuCvJCK5gIVWaqWCh39lwXsEAAYASAAEgL6GfD_BwE

Third Party Tool disclaimer:

While Microsoft supports and encourages open-source software development, it does not provide technical support for the softwares from third parties, nor does it guarantee that the software will work as described.

Third-party information disclaimer:

The third-party product that this article discusses is manufactured by a company that is independent of Microsoft. Microsoft makes no warranty, implied or otherwise, about the performance or reliability of third-party products referenced in this article.

Best Regards, 

Lisa Chen 

Wednesday, November 27, 2019 10:00 AM