none
I need to update a document property from a list lookup RRS feed

• Question

• I have a list that contains information around projects and proposals.

I also have a document library that contains project documents. 

I need a way to automatically update a property, Proposal Number, in the document library by looking up the value, Proposal Number, from the list and using the Project Number as the key field.

I don't see a way of doing this within SharePoint. I think I could probably use Flow, but I really don't want to use up my Flow credits for this. I think Powershell might be an option.

Looking for some ideas please

Tuesday, November 19, 2019 3:26 PM

All replies

• Hi MRBrennan,

It’s better to use flow or SharePoint designer workflow than PowerShell to auto-update library column based on a key column.

And SharePoint Designer 2013 is a free download. To download and install SharePoint Designer 2013 from below article:

Creating a workflow by using SharePoint Designer 2013 and the SharePoint Workflow platform

We could use the update item action to update the library Proposal Number field when current Project number is equal to the Project number in the list when you create/edit document with SharePoint 2010 platform workflow.

And the types of project number column and proposal number column are single line of text.

Then Start options as shown below:

Best regards,

Julie

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

SharePoint Server 2019 has been released, you can click here to download it.
    Click here to learn new features. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about SharePoint Server 2019.

Wednesday, November 20, 2019 9:57 AM
  • Thanks for your response, Julie.

I spent a little bit of time educating myself with SharePoint Designer 2013 and feel it is probably not the route to take. Although it will work, I am concerned about the future of the app. 

Looking into our licensing with Flow, I misunderstood the calculation for our monthly allowance, and I don't think we will come close to our monthly allowance with what I want to do. So Flow it is.

Thanks

Thursday, November 21, 2019 4:40 PM
  • Hi MRBrennan,

If you find the reply helpful to you, please remember to mark it as answer.

Thank you for your understanding.

Best regards,

Julie

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

SharePoint Server 2019 has been released, you can click here to download it.
    Click here to learn new features. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about SharePoint Server 2019.

Wednesday, November 27, 2019 4:49 AM