none
"Show this folder as e-mail Address Book" box uncheck automatically RRS feed

• Question

• Drive me crazy...

We have a customer with a tennant on Office 365. They created two Public Folders ("Groups" and "Individuals"). First of all, displaying publics folder's contacts in Outlook is really disappointing (display folders, then add to favorites, then check properties, etc.)

The problem is, for some of them, the box "Show this folder as e-mail Address Book" uncheck automatically sometimes and we have to re-check this manually. Note : all of them have rights to this publics folders.

Nevermind what version of Outlook (seen on 2010, 2013 and 2016).

Is this problem known and can we made it more simple (and, of course, automate it)?

Thanx

Tuesday, November 19, 2019 5:07 PM

All replies

• Drive me crazy...

We have a customer with a tennant on Office 365. They created two Public Folders ("Groups" and "Individuals"). First of all, displaying publics folder's contacts in Outlook is really disappointing (display folders, then add to favorites, then check properties, etc.)

The problem is, for some of them, the box "Show this folder as e-mail Address Book" uncheck automatically sometimes and we have to re-check this manually. Note : all of them have rights to this publics folders.

Nevermind what version of Outlook (seen on 2010, 2013 and 2016).

Is this problem known and can we made it more simple (and, of course, automate it)?

Thanx

I wouldnt use public folders like that. They are archaic and easily broken.

Tuesday, November 19, 2019 9:09 PM
  • Hi Florian Duchemin,

The method of creating a shared contact list in Office 365 by public folders is just like you mentioned above, and if we check the "Show this folder as e-mail Address Book", the option should be checked as default and it seems there is no corresponding value setting in the registry.

In addition, you can refer to the following related issues about sharing contacts in Exchange:

Shared Contacts

Please Note: Since the web site is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Shared contacts Exchange/Outlook 2016

Regards,

Joyce Shen

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, November 20, 2019 6:11 AM
  • and if we check the "Show this folder as e-mail Address Book", the option should be checked as default and it seems there is no corresponding value setting in the registry.

Yes, should be, but not.

My problem is not the création of shared contacts in Outlook, they're here from years. My problem is loosing time to connect remotly just to check this box.

I was hoping that a script could do it...

I agree with Andy David, it's the only customer using this type of shared contact, and it's the only customer with problem. The better solution would be to migrate to "classic" shared contacts with one account editing and the other reading. But, for the moment they don't want to change...

Wednesday, November 20, 2019 11:01 AM
  • Hi Florian Duchemin,

How many users in your organization have the uncheck "Show this folder as e-mail Address Book" issue?

What's the difference between them and normal users and do they have the same version of outlook client?

I'm afraid there's no such script to control the checkbox.

Regards,

Joyce Shen

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Friday, November 22, 2019 9:15 AM
  • Hi Joyce Shen,

Same version of Outlook client, same permissions on contact's public folders.

Update : the tab "Address book" as disappeared from 2 clients, it is no longer possible to add to the address book!

I've tested on my Outlook client to check it and , indeed, no more tab... Previously this tab where present.

If i compare two clients from my customer, the one who has the tab has not made the last updates unlike the other customer and mine.

Microsoft deleted this functionality?

Wednesday, November 27, 2019 7:23 AM
  • Hi Florian Duchemin,

Can you tell some detailed information about your environment? It's a pure online or a hybrid?

In addition, any screenshot about the update you mentioned above "the tab 'Address book' as disappeared from 2 clients, it is no longer possible to add to the address book!"

You could also try recreating an outlook profile for the user and verify the result again.

Regards,

Joyce Shen

Monday, December 2, 2019 6:55 AM
  • Hi,

Is there any update about your issue?

Regards,

Joyce Shen

Monday, December 9, 2019 3:04 AM