none
Handle deleted files/folders RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all. 

I am in middle of designing Sharepoint Online to be used in our organization. 

I am concerned about users deleting files whether accidentally or maliciously. 

While the content goes to the users recycle bin, it gets deleted after 90 days. 

I have two questions to this;

1) Can we somehow automate that all files in a user's recycle bin gets moved to the site collection recycle bin after, say, 30 days? (that way, admins can see what was deleted)

2) Is there a way to take all content from the site collection recycle bin and store it to a dedicated Sharepoint Site? If yes, is there a way to automate this process to run on a scheduled basis? (with having both in place, we can be confident that data from our organization is not being deleted) 

Tuesday, September 3, 2019 4:59 PM

All replies

• Hi Shimshey, 

In SharePoint Online, items are retained for 93 days from the time you delete them from their original location. They stay in the site Recycle Bin the entire time, unless someone deletes them from there or empties that Recycle Bin. In that case, the items go to the site collection Recycle Bin, where they stay for the remainder of the 93 days unless:

• the site collection Recycle Bin exceeds its quota and starts purging the oldest items
    • the items are manually deleted by the site collection administrator from the site collection Recycle Bin (for info about doing this, see Delete items from the site collection Recycle Bin)

SharePoint Online retains backups of all content for 14 additional days beyond actual deletion. If content can not be restored via the Recycle Bin or Files Restore, an administrator can contact Microsoft Support to request a restore any time inside the 14 day window .

https://support.office.com/en-gb/article/restore-deleted-items-from-the-site-collection-recycle-bin-5fa924ee-16d7-487b-9a0a-021b9062d14b

Best Regards, 

Lisa Chen 

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

SharePoint Server 2019 has been released, you can click here to download it.
    Click here to learn new features. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about SharePoint Server 2019.

Wednesday, September 4, 2019 6:43 AM
  • This does not help me... Is there any way to grammatically extract content of user's recycle bin and move them to a dedicated SP site? 
    Wednesday, September 4, 2019 1:04 PM
  • Hi Shimshey, 

I am afraid that we are unable to extract content of user's recycle bin and move them to a dedicated SP site.

Best Regards, 

Lisa Chen 

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn new features. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about SharePoint Server 2019.

Tuesday, September 10, 2019 10:12 AM
  • Hi Shimshey, 

Please remember to mark the helpful post as an answers. 

Thanks for your understanding. 

Best Regards, 

Lisa Chen 

Thursday, September 12, 2019 7:09 AM
  • Hi Shimshey, 

Please remember to mark the helpful post as an answers. 

Thanks for your understanding. 

Best Regards, 

Lisa Chen 

Unfortunately I was not helped nor were my questions answered...... thanks and have a great day 
    Thursday, September 12, 2019 12:42 PM