none
Public Folder - Age limits explained

Question

• In the "limits" tab of a public folder, there's the "Age limit for folder content (days)" setting:

The apparent default value of "5" troubles me a bit (I don't want *any* kind of automatic removal). Unfortunately the help link in the upper right-hand corner was not particularly helpful with respect to this property.

In particular, I have the following questions:

1. Which property does this setting correspond to? The PublicFolder object contains an AgeLimit property. However, the documentation of AgeLimit says: "Replicas of this public folder are automatically deleted when the age limit is exceeded" which is obviously something different than the property in the screenshot (which refers to folder content, not to replicas of the folder itself).
    2. How can I set the "organization age limit defaults" mentioned in the screenshot? I found the DefaultPublicFolderAgeLimit property on the OrganizationConfig object, but, again, this refers to the folder itself ("A public folder is automatically deleted when this age limit is exceeded.") instead of the folder content, so, obviously, this is something different.

Monday, March 11, 2013 5:19 PM

Answers

• I contacted Microsoft Support about this matter and the answer was:

• The "organization age limit default" is "unlimited"; no mails will be removed unless a limit is set manually.
    • This default value cannot be changed.

• Marked as answer by Heinzi.at Tuesday, April 16, 2013 12:36 PM
    Tuesday, April 16, 2013 12:35 PM

All replies

• I contacted Microsoft Support about this matter and the answer was:

• The "organization age limit default" is "unlimited"; no mails will be removed unless a limit is set manually.
    • This default value cannot be changed.

• Marked as answer by Heinzi.at Tuesday, April 16, 2013 12:36 PM
    Tuesday, April 16, 2013 12:35 PM
  • Maybe this was before CU1 came out.  I just set the value no problems.

Set-OrganizationConfig -DefaultPublicFolderAgeLimit 365

David Jenkins

Tuesday, June 25, 2013 3:05 PM
  • David,

according to the documentation, DefaultPublicFolderAgeLimit is described as "A public folder is automatically deleted when this age limit is exceeded". This appears to be something different than "the age limit for public folder contents".

Tuesday, June 25, 2013 4:17 PM
  • Has this been confirmed that contents will not be removed by default? I'm also worried about the "5 day age limit for folder content"
    Wednesday, January 29, 2014 3:27 PM
  • Toma,

We successfully use public folders in their default configuration. Some contents are many months old, and we have not yet noticed anything disappearing.

Obviously, an official statement from Microsoft would be more reassuring, but it doesn't look like they want to do that...

• Edited by Heinzi.at Wednesday, January 29, 2014 3:36 PM
    Wednesday, January 29, 2014 3:35 PM