none
Anonymous User forms in Sharepoint 2013 Online RRS feed

• Question

• I'm using Sharepoint 2013 online with Office 365.

Is there any way for an anonymous user to communicate with the site using forms (preferably Infopath)?

There are many, many versions of this question on the web. Several lead to http://claytoncobb.wordpress.com/2011/06/03/infopath-allowing-anonymous-users-to-submit-forms-in-sharepoint-2010/, but this is about Sharepoint 2010, not 2013. Other answers talk about features that are not in Sharepoint online 2013, such as Application Management in Central Administration. There is also a Sandbox solution from CodePlex that gets touted, https://anonymous365.codeplex.com/, but this fails in Sharepoint Online 2013.

The only feature I can find is the Excel Survey in Form Templates. This is at least a start, but what I really want is the ability for an anonymous user (a customer) to submit information into a Custom List using a form; or, second best, in an email (WITHOUT having to have Infopath Filler installed). Seems a pretty basic need, really - letting your customers place orders. This is all do-able for a fully-subscribed user of the intranet site, but I can't afford to buy individual subscriptions for all my customers. Nor do I want them seeing each other's data, or accessing my intranet!

I have spent so long researching this and getting nowhere, and really need to know if it's just a straight 'no, it's impossible', or keep trying.

Thanks

Jonathan

Tuesday, March 4, 2014 10:58 AM

All replies

• Have you considered using the public site to put your form? This way the form will be accessible for all the site visitors. Hope this helps :)
    Monday, March 10, 2014 10:20 PM
  • Thanks pramod7

Yes, I am using the public site. But unless I'm missing something, Custom Lists (and associated forms) cannot be exposed to anonymous users. They are just not in the permissions list.

I can create a page in the public site and add a Form Templates web part. The options I then get for creating a new form in the Form Templates library are Word Document, Excel Workbook, Powerpoint Presentation, One Note Notebook or Excel Survey. An InfoPath form is not an option. None of these (as far as I can see) allow for any data entered in the 'form' by a user to be stored in a Custom List for further processing. Most require the user to have Word/Excel/whatever on their machine, rather than just use the browser. The nearest you get is the Excel Survey, which at least regularises the data entered by an anonymous user into columns in a spreadsheet, but this is not sophisticated enough for, say, an online ordering system in which you would not want customers seeing each other's orders.

Wednesday, March 12, 2014 10:12 AM
  • Hi,

Did you ever find a solution?

Please ...

Sunday, July 13, 2014 12:44 PM
  • Sadly no, not with out-of-the-box Sharepoint. I am experimenting with the subscription service PDF Share Forms, which seems to do exactly what I need. At a price!
    Wednesday, July 16, 2014 7:02 AM
  • I have been using Excel Survey "function", but it is very limited and not at all what we need. It is surprising that there is no way to do this! Any idea?

Alan A Guggenheim

Monday, July 21, 2014 3:39 PM
  • It is absolutely unbelievable how this kind of basic functionality is missing! I have been looking for a solution for the same issue. It really seems that I must resign the contract with MS. I am so disappointed!
    Monday, October 13, 2014 8:19 PM