none
Issues on reindexing some documents RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all, I'm having issues on reindexing some documents on SPO, after mapping a crawled to a managed property: library reindexing seems not working, could it be? It seems that the new documents are indexed correctly while some old documents are not.

Regards,

Alessandra

Thursday, October 3, 2019 10:39 AM

All replies

• Hi Alessandra,

I would like to confirm that what symptom or issue have you run into that indicates the re-indexing is not working? Normally if the new created documents are re-indexed successfully, it suggests that the document library is re-indexed successfully.

Quoting the official document: 

“Because your changes are made in the search schema, and not to the actual site, the crawler will not automatically re-index the site. To make sure that your changes are crawled and fully re-indexed, you must request a re-indexing of the site.”

You can manually request a re-index of the specific document library again and see the result. You can also request a re-index of the site if possible.

Here’s your reference.

Manually request crawling and re-indexing of a site, a library or a list.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sharepoint/crawl-site-content

Best regards,

Chelsea Wu

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

SharePoint Server 2019 has been released, you can click here to download it.
    Click here to learn new features. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about SharePoint Server 2019.

Friday, October 4, 2019 2:56 AM
  • Hi Chelsea Wu,

I confirm you that new created documents are indexed successfully, while some old documents are not.

I already requested manually a crawling, both on the library and on the site.

After that, I used Pnp-PowerShell to inspect crawl log (Get-PnPSearchCrawlLog): it said that my items had been crawled. However, inspecting the documents with SharePoint SearchQueryTool I found that they didn't have yet the managed property I expected, which is "RefinableString07" that I mapped to a crawled property.

Best regards,

Alessandra

Friday, October 4, 2019 8:06 AM
  • Hi Alessandra,

Per my test in my SharePoint Online environment, the managed properties “RefinableString” are set not to be searchable by default and cannot be modified. Have you modified this setting in your environment?

If the issue persists after 24 hours, I suggest you create a new managed property and map it to the crawled property to see the result.

In addition, the PnP PowerShell “Get-PnPSearchCrawlLog” returns only the last 100 crawl log entries for site content. You can view the complete crawl log via Security & Compliance Center.

Here’s your reference.

How to download or view SharePoint Online Search Crawl Logs using Security & Compliance Center.

https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/svarukala/2017/08/09/how-to-download-or-view-sharepoint-online-search-crawl-logs-using-security-compliance-center/

Best regards,

Chelsea Wu

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn new features. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about SharePoint Server 2019.

Monday, October 7, 2019 7:29 AM
  • Hi,

I'm checking how it is going on with this issue.

Please remember to update this thread if you have any progress.

Thank you for your understanding.

Best regards,

Chelsea Wu

Wednesday, October 9, 2019 6:58 AM
  • Hi Chelsea Wu,

unfortunately no progress.

To explain you a little better my problem:

I made an application that uses the search API to list a series of documents. I use a query filter for a specific managed property. No matter if the managed property refinablestring07 is not searchable because my program uses the syntax "(refinablestring07: specific value)" and this query must work.

The command Get-PnPSearchCrawlLog has a filter parameter to find the record related to my document, so it's not important that the command is limited to last 100 log lines.

The log says that the document was indexed, but the query (refinablestring07: specific value) doesn't work.

If I use the "Sharepoint query tool" made by Mikael Svenson @wobba for analyzing my document metadata, the managed property refinablestring07 is not there. I don't find any managed property that contains the metadata I want to use for the search.

This problem happens only on 10 documents of my library. Maybe there are other documents with this problem, but I do not know how to identify them. Something got messed up.

I also tried to map the crawled property to another managed property, refinablestring99, used now for the first time: the crawler added the managed property to all the documents, but not to those 10.

I tried to reindex the document library.

I tried to edit the metadata from the document UI.

I tried to change the metadata with Set-PnPListItem.

I tried to edit the document file (docx document).

No results.

The command GetPnPSearchCrawlLog shows that the crawler indexed the document because the crawled time has changed but my metadata doesn't appear yet.

This makes me think that SharePoint search is not reliable… I need to know why this issue happened and if there are other documents with this problem. If so, my application becomes useless and my customer will be very unhappy, and me too :-(

• Edited by ale67 Wednesday, October 9, 2019 1:36 PM
    Wednesday, October 9, 2019 1:26 PM
  • Hi,

I’m sorry that you have to face this situation. However, it’s hard to identify why this issue happens only to 10 documents in a single library while the others work since everything seems fine in crawl logs.

I suggest you remove the issued documents from your site and then re-add them in the same document library or another one. After that, re-index the site again to see the result.

If the issue remains, you can submit a service request for SharePoint Online via Microsoft 365 admin center > Support > New service request. There will be engineers who can do deep investigation with your environment and find the root cause for you.

Best regards,

Chelsea Wu

Thursday, October 10, 2019 2:53 AM
  • Hi,

I finally found that editing these documents with the old editform.aspx in classic mode recover the problem: after that the document is correctly reindexed.

Does this behavior mean anything to you?

Friday, October 11, 2019 3:03 PM
  • Hi,

I’m afraid not, but thank you for sharing the solution with us.

You can mark your latest reply as the answer if you would like to.

It will do great help to those who meet the similar question in this forum.

Thanks again for your contribution.

Best regards,

Chelsea Wu

Monday, October 14, 2019 1:38 AM