none
Unable to check status of Sharepoint MultiGeo move RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I'm trying to automate migrations of company sharepoints from one geo to another. Using the Sharepoint Online module, I'm able to connect to our SPOService, I'm able to trigger a migration from our NAM to AUS geo, but I currently have no way to monitor the move status.

According to the Documentation(https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/office365/enterprise/move-sharepoint-between-geo-locations), I'm supposed to use Get-SPOSiteContentMoveState. However this command, and many others in the module return this exception:

get-SPOSiteContentMoveState : The type initializer for 'Microsoft.Online.SharePoint.PowerShell.TelemetryMonitorAria' threw an exception.

This command worked at some point in the past year(perhaps with an older module), but now it isn't. I can't find anything online with a solution. 

This github post (https://github.com/SharePoint/sp-dev-docs/issues/4097)hints that some features are currently unavailable. Does anyone have further insight or a solution? It seems kind of nonsensical to allow geo migrations with no way of monitoring/verification.

Thank you,

Carl

Wednesday, October 2, 2019 6:03 PM

Answers

• Hi Carl,

Currently, the PowerShell to monitor move status isn't available to use, will throw exception.

From the official document, it will normally spend 4-6 hours to finish the move.

For the issue concerned, I will suggest to create a User Voice for this requirement so that Microsoft will publish new API or fix the error in the future:

https://sharepoint.uservoice.com/forums/329220-sharepoint-dev-platform

Thanks

Best Regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

SharePoint Server 2019 has been released, you can click here to download it.
    Click here to learn new features. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about SharePoint Server 2019.

• Marked as answer by CMezi Friday, October 4, 2019 5:31 PM
    Thursday, October 3, 2019 8:55 AM

All replies

• Hi Carl,

Currently, the PowerShell to monitor move status isn't available to use, will throw exception.

From the official document, it will normally spend 4-6 hours to finish the move.

For the issue concerned, I will suggest to create a User Voice for this requirement so that Microsoft will publish new API or fix the error in the future:

https://sharepoint.uservoice.com/forums/329220-sharepoint-dev-platform

Thanks

Best Regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn new features. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about SharePoint Server 2019.

• Marked as answer by CMezi Friday, October 4, 2019 5:31 PM
    Thursday, October 3, 2019 8:55 AM
  • Thank you for the reply!

Do you know of the best way to check the current geo of a site? Get-SPOSite doesn't seem to have a property for geo tenant and we need to be able to verify site's have been moved successfully after that 4-6 hour window.

• Edited by CMezi Friday, October 4, 2019 5:35 PM
    Friday, October 4, 2019 5:31 PM
  • Adding more info in case anyone else comes across this.

As of right now, I know no other way to check the geo of the site via powershell. I can confirm my site has migrated Geos just based on the URL that gets redirected to when visiting the site in a browser. This is okay on a small scale, but we have ~12,000 SPO sites that will eventually be migrated to their appropriate localations around the world. Our AUS domain is the same as our NAM, but with 'AUS' appended at the end. So using that information, I can use an Invoke-WebRequest to test for a response from the new AUS appended URL. A statusCode of 200 indicates a successfully moved site. If I 404, I can check the original URL. A 308 error indicates a redirect. So basically verification entails just checking the possible URLs and handling the exceptions appropriately. 

This is a messy method of verification, so I hope there is a built in way to check domain of a site. 

Friday, October 4, 2019 6:49 PM
  • Hi CMezi,

Currently, Multi-Geo Move have no PowerShell which support to do move status Check, so using the "Invoke-WebRequest" command to check the response code is still a suitable way as a workaround. 

But never mind, I believe in the future, Microsoft will release the detailed PowerShell command to support check of Multi-Geo Move.

Thanks

Best Regards

Wednesday, October 9, 2019 9:09 AM