Importing Existing .PST Files into the Exchange Online OWA RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

We are in the process of migrating from a local Exchange 2003 server to the Microsoft Exchange Online service.  Our users mostly have Outlook 2002 as the client.  We have capped our mailboxes at 1gig, but have allowed users to attach .PST files in order to gain more storage.

As part of our migration we have choosen not to buy new outlook clients and rely on the OWA client.  Is there a way that we can import the contents of these various .PST files after the active mail has been migrated via the Transporter tool?

Thanks in Advance.

Scott

Friday, August 27, 2010 3:05 PM

Answers

• Hi Scott, you'll be able to import the PST files, after the migration, but there are a couple things you'll need to be aware of. 

First to actually import the files, you'll need to use Outlook.  What I would do is create an account in Microsoft Online that is an administrator and then sign into the sign in client as that user and have it configure an Outlook profile.  Once you are signed in as that user, you'll be able to open the other users mailboxes (add them to the profile), and then from the File menu , choose Import and export to import each PST into the appropriate mailbox.  As you can see that will be a very time consuming process if you have a lot of PST files.

The second thing to keep in mind is that if you import the PST files this way, you won't be able to reply to the messages after they are imported. 

If possible what I would do is have each user import their existing PSTs into their existing Exchange 2003 mailbox.  This way the migration tool could be used to migrate the content and the messages would be replyable after the migration.

Chad

Chad Mosman, MessageOps | www.MessageOps.com
    Friday, August 27, 2010 5:21 PM

All replies

• Hi Scott, you'll be able to import the PST files, after the migration, but there are a couple things you'll need to be aware of. 

First to actually import the files, you'll need to use Outlook.  What I would do is create an account in Microsoft Online that is an administrator and then sign into the sign in client as that user and have it configure an Outlook profile.  Once you are signed in as that user, you'll be able to open the other users mailboxes (add them to the profile), and then from the File menu , choose Import and export to import each PST into the appropriate mailbox.  As you can see that will be a very time consuming process if you have a lot of PST files.

The second thing to keep in mind is that if you import the PST files this way, you won't be able to reply to the messages after they are imported. 

If possible what I would do is have each user import their existing PSTs into their existing Exchange 2003 mailbox.  This way the migration tool could be used to migrate the content and the messages would be replyable after the migration.

Chad

Chad Mosman, MessageOps | www.MessageOps.com
    Friday, August 27, 2010 5:21 PM
  • Hi, for Office 365 exchange online (small business premium), where can I find the migration tool to migrate user mailbox from Exchange server 2003 to Office 365. We only want to migrate about past 6 months of email. We are not using any single sign-on meaning we will discontinue on-premise.  I see the cut-over or staged migration plan - since we don't have lot of emails, could this be done during the business day? 

b) how does the domain switch takes place? Our domain is registered by registrar.com and we use exchange server in-house today.  So I am assuming we need to contact the registrar to switch the MX records to point to Microsoft? 

thanks a lot.

Friday, June 14, 2013 6:50 PM
  • This is a less than ideal solution. If they have a large number of inbox items and a large PST file, Outlook will not receive new mail items until the upload is complete.

To work around this issue we upload the old PST file offsite or from another unused computer. The other option is to get them to use OWA for mail until the upload is complete. The new tool within exchange online is only worth setting up if you are doing more than 10 users.

Microsoft: A simple import tool built into OWA would resolve this issue. Currently migration costs are 3 times higher because of this problem alone. 

Wednesday, July 3, 2019 2:14 PM