none
Another Outage - Aug 23 2010

General discussion

• Got a call from a user that was getting a "service unavailable" error from the sign in utility and the RSS update from  https://rss.microsoftonline.com/additionalinfo.aspx?fid=5b17f31a-2b5f-4cd7-b78e-88f424817f7d confirms that there is another BPOS outage.

<small>Monday, August 23, 2010 - 1:55:02 PM, GMT</small>

Access to the services indicated below may be limited at this time for some users in the following regions.

Services:
    Microsoft® Business Productivity Online Suite
    Microsoft® Exchange Online
    Microsoft® SharePoint® Online
    Microsoft® Office Live Meeting
    Microsoft® Office Communications Online
    Microsoft® Online Services Administration Center
    Microsoft® Online Services Sign In Application
    Microsoft® Online Services My Company Portal
    Microsoft® Online Services Customer Portal

Regions:
    North America

Monday, August 23, 2010 2:42 PM

All replies

• It explains why I can´t sign in to application "Microsoft Online Services Sig In" or use Outlook Web Access. I am using from Brazil.
    Monday, August 23, 2010 2:47 PM
  • Is there an ETA on when services will be available again?

Chris

Monday, August 23, 2010 2:55 PM
  • We've only been on BPOS about two weeks.  Are these outages this common?  It's very frustrating for users.
    Monday, August 23, 2010 2:59 PM
  • Same here.....I would like someone's opinion on how often this is the case?

Monday, August 23, 2010 3:05 PM
  • It is my case too, but I am in using a trial subscription.
    Monday, August 23, 2010 3:07 PM
  • We just got back online!! Usually if we do have an outage it may only last for a minute then reconnect. This has been the longest we have ever been down.
    Monday, August 23, 2010 3:07 PM
  • 2 months ago, I switched one of my clients from another provider that was more expensive, but reliable.

He's already suffered through the ActiveSync outages and there's been 2 global outages since that I know of. Also various problems with SSO.

My credibility has declined through all this.  I hope there's a concentrated effort to improve reliablity.

Monday, August 23, 2010 3:19 PM
  • We've only been on BPOS about two weeks.  Are these outages this common?  It's very frustrating for users.

Service does seem to be back online at this point.

My company provides outsourced IT services for small businesses.  We have been using BPOS for our email since January of this year and have been slowly moving our clients from their in house Exchange servers to BPOS.  We started transitioning a customer on August 1 and they are quickly loosing confidence in the service from these outages since one of the selling points of BPOS was the high availability.

I can recall about 4 outages where service was interrupted for more than 30 minutes so far but this is the second outage this month (other was August 10th).

From an IT perspective, it is very frustrating since we have no control of the outage but still get the phone calls and complaints when the service is down.  And on top of that, when the issue is resolved, Microsoft provides only vague answers as to the root cause.

Monday, August 23, 2010 3:33 PM
  • So a question to you all based on your experiences of outages. If you were making the decision right now to move from Exchange in-house to BPOS how confident would you be in moving over and delivering a reliable, quality service?

That's exactly where I am, done the hard work of getting buy-in at all levels, have the funding approved, have MS partner pushing to sign up and go, trial is done, but the "gut feel" is not quite 100% behind it. (We'd be using a US data centre.)

Any opinions/observations?

Thursday, August 26, 2010 12:41 PM