Pricing? RRS feed

• Question

•  

Hi,

Where can I find information about the pricing for these services? 

Thanks,

Friday, September 12, 2008 3:39 PM

Answers

All replies

• Please go to http://www.microsoft.com/online/business-productivity.mspx and click on the Calculate Estimated Cost link (see right hand side)
    Thursday, November 20, 2008 7:22 AM
  • The customer-facing pricing calculator is outdated and not very useful.  For example, it lets you estimate pricing for 1 exchange-online mailbox, which is impossible to buy, because you can only sign up for 5 mailboxes minimum.  The calculator also omits any mention of costs for extra storage (SSL's).  And if you try going to the customer portal to get pricing for extra storage, you can only do that *after* buying the mailboxes, which is really weird... why would anyone sign up for hosted-exchange, if they can't figure out how much it will cost them first?

It looks like much of the presales online materials (for both customers and partners) is still in beta, and devoid of the final pricing details.  Or perhaps to not offend the partner sales channels, microsoft sanitized the pricing from their direct-sales channel.

Either way, the pricing for these online-services is suspiciously absent.  Most other exchange hosts show their prices in huge, colorful fonts.  "As low as $9.99!!!"  Microsoft online services is totally the opposite.  I spent an hour clicking around the online-services portals and still can't quite figure out what you get for $10.
    Thursday, December 4, 2008 2:13 AM
  • Here is a link to our pricing information, please let us know if there are still questions.
     http://www.microsoft.com/online/buy.mspx
    arvind
    Wednesday, January 7, 2009 1:19 AM
  • You can go to the Microsoft Licensing Adviser (http://www.microsoft.com/licensing/MLA/) and fight your way through that to get pricing. It's not easy or intuitive, but it's the only way to get public pricing for stuff in more advanced agreements, like the Enterprise Agreement.

It's of little use to the "retail" customer, however, since it's for volume licensing customers, which is particularly true of the extra storage, since the only way a volume customer can buy it is to have an Enterprise Agreement, which requires at least 250 seats.

Most business users, even those with other volume licensing programs, will need to work their way through the defective portal cited by Arvind below.

I say defective, because aside from the problems cited above--deficient calculator, no visible extra storage pricing until you actually buy--whenever I clicked on Exchange, I got Live Meeting instead, which makes this extra fun. (This is not an uncommon problem. Someday Microsoft will establish a rule that before someone in their company puts a live page on the Web, another human being will be required to click every link to make sure it actually goes a) somewhere and b) the right place.)

However, just to give you an idea, I ran pricing for Exchange Online Extra pricing through the MLA and came up with a monthly subscription price of $2.93 a month for 1GB of extra storage, for 2,000 seats. That's a per seat price, so you'd be paying about $6,000 a month to get two terrabytes of additional storage. Gotta be the most expensive two terrabytes around. Putting a triple redundant, clustered Exchange system in your data center with a petabyte of storage and its own backup diesel generator might be cheaper.

You can assume that the retail price is not cheaper than that. I'd guess maybe $3.5-$4.

What you get for your $10 is an online Exchange server that you can access with an Outlook client, with full MAPI services like calendaring, etc. Some folks prefer it handles things like calendar requests better than other services when you use Outlook. Also includes some antivirus, antispam features, I believe.

Paul
    Friday, October 30, 2009 5:59 PM