Outlook Automatic Replies Forwarding Rule - Where does it live and how do I find it with PowerShell? RRS feed

• Question

• When these steps are taken in Outlook for Windows 2016:

File > Automatic Replies > Rules... >Add Rule... > Forward > Check the box and populate the "To;" field

Already tried: Get-MailboxAutoReplyConfiguration and Get-InboxRule but no luck. It doesn't show as a "rule" in the usual places. Any idea as to where it lives and how to find it with PowerShell?

Thanks!

• Edited by JoeGCH Friday, September 7, 2018 8:43 PM
    Friday, September 7, 2018 8:37 PM

All replies

• When I run:

Get-InboxRule -Mailbox joe@blow.com | FL

next to ForwardTo I see the forwarding address.

Ed Crowley MVP "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems."
    Celebrating 20 years of providing Exchange peer support!

Friday, September 7, 2018 10:35 PM
  • Ed, thanks for the prompt reply!

I tried it and no luck. No rule showing in pwsh. I tested it and the rule is working. See pix of Outlook and pwsh.

Friday, September 7, 2018 11:03 PM
  • Oh, that's not an inbox assistant rule, it's an out of office rule.

It doesn't appear that there's any way to manage those with Exchange PowerShell cmdlets.  You'd be looking at Exchange Web Services, and that won't be easy.

Ed Crowley MVP "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems."
    Celebrating 20 years of providing Exchange peer support!

• Proposed as answer by Gavin-Gao Monday, September 10, 2018 6:37 AM
    Saturday, September 8, 2018 12:29 AM
  • Ed, thanks kindly for looking into this.

What's the best way to ask that this be added as a feature to PowerShell?

UserVoice a la https://office365.uservoice.com/forums/273493-office-365-admin

?

Best -Joe

Saturday, September 8, 2018 12:47 AM
  • Submitted:

https://office365.uservoice.com/forums/273493-office-365-admin/suggestions/35353714-use-powershell-to-manage-out-of-office-rules-for-e

Saturday, September 8, 2018 6:29 PM
  • Hi,

I also did a test in my environment, as Ed Crowley said, it seems that the Automatic Reply Rules is different from the Inbox rule, we are unable to manage it with PowerShell cmdlets. UserVoice is a good option to summit our feedback to Office team.

Regards,

Gavin Gao

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Monday, September 10, 2018 6:37 AM
  • Gavin, thanks kindly!

-Joe

Monday, September 10, 2018 1:28 PM
  • Thanks for your reply, have a nice day!

Regards,

Gavin Gao

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Tuesday, September 11, 2018 7:35 AM
  • Also submitted to GitHub:

https://github.com/MicrosoftDocs/office-docs-powershell/issues/1708

Tuesday, September 11, 2018 1:57 PM