none
Sending email from a website suing the same domain on BPOS RRS feed

• Question

• My company owns a domain name that we use with BPOS for email and Sharepoint and also for our corporate website. The domain name is registered on eNom.com and the website is also hosted on it (for another month at least, then we will be moving to our own server). The problem is that eNom does not allow to send mail with PHP and I had to set up a separate SMTP account on the hosting page. This is creating conflicts (apparently only for domains and email accounts hosted on eNom, but I am not sure) between the SMTP/POP server and our BPOS Exchange server: emails sent from accounts hosted on eNom only reach the eNom mailbox and not the BPOS Exchange one (with an error message if the email exists only on Exchange and not on the eNom mail server). Emails sent from other servers don't seem to be affected, but I cannot be absolutely sure.

I can see several solutions:

1. Point a second domain name to the website and use it for email communication between the site and its visitors. Hopefully visitors won't notice that the emails from the site are not coming from the same domain name.
    2. Since BPOS supports SMTP, I could set up an account for that, the problem is that the password will expire every three months, is there a way to turn this feature off?
    3. Finding a third party SMTP that does not check for password when sending email.

Since we will be migrating to our own server (hopefully with support for PHP mail) very soon, I think solution #2 could work. Do you have any other suggestions?

Thursday, January 13, 2011 1:19 PM

Answers

• Option #2 holds good. Your passowrd expiration can be turned off. It was done for all the customers early. Now they say , they are doing it only customers who has more than 500 users.

Regarding Password Expiration,

Even if they do not reset the password, you always have the powershell cmdlets which makes your life easier.

Try set-MsonlineUserPassword

Regards, Nav - BPOS Technician
    • Proposed as answer by Flemingkris Friday, January 21, 2011 6:02 PM
    • Marked as answer by gio79 Saturday, October 8, 2011 10:45 AM
    Thursday, January 20, 2011 10:08 PM

All replies

• Hello,

I believe option 2 would be your best bet. However depending on your company there may be some other options for you. Please contact support to see what other options there may be.

-Allan C.

Monday, January 17, 2011 2:24 PM
  • Option #2 holds good. Your passowrd expiration can be turned off. It was done for all the customers early. Now they say , they are doing it only customers who has more than 500 users.

Regarding Password Expiration,

Even if they do not reset the password, you always have the powershell cmdlets which makes your life easier.

Try set-MsonlineUserPassword

Regards, Nav - BPOS Technician
    • Proposed as answer by Flemingkris Friday, January 21, 2011 6:02 PM
    • Marked as answer by gio79 Saturday, October 8, 2011 10:45 AM
    Thursday, January 20, 2011 10:08 PM