none
Outlook for Office 365 RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

My wife has several mailboxes connected to her Outlook (desktop version), 2 POP3 and 2 O365.  She is experiencing extreme slowness in switching between folders no matter which mailbox she moves around in.  Opening the File | Options is slow also.  By slow everything takes a minimum of 10 seconds.  Opening Outlook is slow also.  The Loading Profiles part takes a long time. The send/receive also takes a long time on initial startup.  It only seems to check the POP3 Mailboxes, but I have all 4 mailboxes in the Send/Receive Group.

One troubleshooting thing I did note was creating a separate profile and adding one of her mailboxes (a POP3).  The speed is dramatically different.  I also did a Quick Repair and an Online Repair.  Both of those had no effect. I also disabled the Teams add-in.

I am thinking something in the primary profile is causing the problem, just not sure what that is.    

• Edited by DBS_1 Saturday, December 7, 2019 2:06 AM addition comment
    Saturday, December 7, 2019 2:03 AM

Answers

• All,

The problems were never with an Exchange mailbox.  All problems encountered were with a POP3 connection to a non-Exchange mailbox.  The version of Outlook being used was from Office 365 but the problem was not with Office 365 tenant itself.  So all suggestions about Cached-Exchange mode do not apply since the mailbox was a non-Exchange mailbox.  

Additional problem that cropped up was the Sent Items in the non-Exchange mailbox kept (the POP3 connection) kept crashing Outlook.  I also took a copy of the PST file and opened it on another computer.  Sent Items opened just fine there.  This led me to install a different version of Outlook than was installed.  Fortunately I had a copy of Office 2019, so I upgraded Outlook to that. 

This correct whatever problem the previous version of Outlook was having.   

• Marked as answer by DBS_1 Tuesday, December 10, 2019 1:50 PM
    Tuesday, December 10, 2019 1:50 PM

All replies

• HI,

Kindly try making the outlook in cache mode....If its already in cache mode then make it to 6 months so that it would reduce the load on the outlook.

Also try creating a new profile and make it in online mode and see if that makes any difference.

Kindly mark it as answer if that helped

[If a post helps to resolve your issue, please click the "Mark as Answer" of that post or click Answered"Vote as helpful" button of that post. By marking a post as Answered or Helpful, you help others find the answer faster.]
    Saturday, December 7, 2019 7:26 AM
  • Hi,

What's the version of your Outlook? (File > Office Account > About Outlook). Please make sure you have upgraded your Outlook to the latest version.

Please check whether you have enable online mode for your Office 365 account: File > Account Settings > Double click your Office 365 account and make sure you have checked the box of "Use Cached Exchange Mode to download email to an Outlook date file". If you are using cached mode then you can try setting "Download email for past" to a short time period.

Then based on what you described, it seems that there is something wrong with your Profile, so it is suggested to create a new Outlook profile via Control Panel > Mail > Show profile and configure all you 4 account on it then see if there is any difference. If it works well, then please just use the new profile. (There are so many complex data in the Profile that it is not recommended to fix it, since repairing the Profile may cause more problems)

Hope this can be helpful.

Regards,

Aidan Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Monday, December 9, 2019 8:28 AM
  • Hi,

Have you got the issue fixed?

I'm writing to see if the reply above is helpful to you. If yes, would you mind helping mark the reply as answer? So that others who might have a similar question can benefit from your thread? Thanks for your understanding and support.

Regards, 

Aidan Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, December 10, 2019 8:37 AM
  • All,

The problems were never with an Exchange mailbox.  All problems encountered were with a POP3 connection to a non-Exchange mailbox.  The version of Outlook being used was from Office 365 but the problem was not with Office 365 tenant itself.  So all suggestions about Cached-Exchange mode do not apply since the mailbox was a non-Exchange mailbox.  

Additional problem that cropped up was the Sent Items in the non-Exchange mailbox kept (the POP3 connection) kept crashing Outlook.  I also took a copy of the PST file and opened it on another computer.  Sent Items opened just fine there.  This led me to install a different version of Outlook than was installed.  Fortunately I had a copy of Office 2019, so I upgraded Outlook to that. 

This correct whatever problem the previous version of Outlook was having.   

• Marked as answer by DBS_1 Tuesday, December 10, 2019 1:50 PM
    Tuesday, December 10, 2019 1:50 PM
  • Hi,

I'm glad to see your issue has been fixed.

Here I will provide a brief summary of this post for your information. This will make answer searching in the forum easier!

Request/Expectation:

Extreme slowness in switching between folders in Outlook.

Solution Summary:

Upgrade Office.

Reference Links:

No.

Regards, 

Aidan Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, December 11, 2019 1:12 AM