none
How to Open SharePoint Excel document URL in SharePoint viewer from external document URL reference? RRS feed

• Question

• I've been researching and trying this but I wanted to know if the following is possible...

I was presented with a request from a customer using SharePoint asking if they could open an Excel document located on SharePoint via the URL path in an external document, but there were two add'l requirements:

1. they would like the Excel document to open within SharePoint's viewer vs. the Office application.  (e.g. xlsx opens in SharePoint vs MS Excel Office instance)
    2. They would like it to open to a specific Worksheet tab.

Requirement 1 I'm at a total loss.

Requirement 2 I have done some researching and a recommendation to opening to a specific tab (Worksheet) stated I need to include ?web=1?range=Sheetname but haven't been able to get it to work. 

e.g. https://mycompany.com/sites/mySP/Shared%20Documents/Docs%20and%20/myExcel.xlsx?web=1?range=Sheetname

Any thoughts, suggestions, or links that might be useful?

Thanks

SV

• Edited by svMSDN Monday, November 18, 2019 8:22 PM added clarifying comment to know I have tried
    Monday, November 18, 2019 2:51 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi svMSDN,

Requirement 1:

SharePoint 2013 provide Excel Service which could open a excel file directly in Browser:

How to Configure Excel Services in SharePoint 2013

From SharePoint 2016 and later version, Excel Service is depreated, Office Online Server instead:

How to install Office Online Server for SharePoint 2016 (OOS)

Reqirement 2:

About opening a specific workseet, here are the steps:

1. Create a named range in Excel and specify the needed worksheet range like this:

Excel named range - how to define and use names in Excel

2. Create a SharePoint Page and place a Excel Access Web Part, configure like this:

Display Excel content in an Excel Web Access Web Part

In conclusion, the url append range parameter won't specify valid Excel worksheet range, it will download the excel file instead based on my test. Excel Access Web Part will meet the requirement with the steps above.

Hope this will be helpful to you.

Thanks

Best Regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

SharePoint Server 2019 has been released, you can click here to download it.
    Click here to learn new features. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about SharePoint Server 2019.

• Marked as answer by svMSDN Wednesday, November 20, 2019 1:43 PM
    Tuesday, November 19, 2019 8:23 AM
  • Hi svMSDN,

I receive the email from Forum.

For the concern about the excel files stored outside of SharePoint, SharePoint won't open with Excel Service, it still needs MS Office Excel Client Application.

And if your question has been answered, I would suggest you could Mark as answer so that it could help others who have the similiar question in the forum.

Thanks

Best Regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

SharePoint Server 2019 has been released, you can click here to download it.
    Click here to learn new features. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about SharePoint Server 2019.

Wednesday, November 20, 2019 1:29 AM
  • Hi Jerry:

Thanks for the reminder about marking as answered. After I reread your message I realized you probably answered my question.

My follow up concern was not about Excel files stored "outside" of SharePoint in a list. It was about opening Excel files stored "within" SharePoint through Excel Services. In other words, when users click a hyperlink to an Excel doc on SharePoint, in which the hyperlink is residing inside an external document, such as a Word document on a users desktop, the client wants the Excel doc residing in SharePoint to open within SharePoint (Excel Services or Office Online Server) versus opening in MS Excel, which it does not currently happen.

SV

Wednesday, November 20, 2019 1:54 PM