none
Exchange Online - Import Mailbox | Outlook License RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

Q1 - If we sign up for a Exchange online account, do we get MS Outlook 2007 or 2010 License as well, or do we need to purchase that separately ?

I can purchase it from Microsoft store website - UK too.

Q2 - Also, If I downloaded the trial of Outlook 2007 or Outlook 2010, install it and then when I purchase from the store, they will allocate a product key / activation key - would that key convert my trial to a full activated product or would I have to install the exact same copy which I will download.

Actually, I have the trial downloaded and have a slow connection so don't want to start another download :-)

Q3 - My current Exchange mailbox is at 2GB with my current Hosted Exchange provider, I have exported the PST already, once I signup for Exchange online and it gets activated, will it just be a case of importing my mailbox via outlook and let it sync / upload to the Microsoft Exchange Servers.

Q4 - Does Microsoft give the IP Address / DNS Records so that I can ammend my Domain's MX Records at our Host ?

Thanks and Regards

Thursday, June 17, 2010 12:22 PM

Answers

• Hi, let me try and address your statements:

I have a Exchange Account at the moment with another hosted exchange provider

-The preferred method to move from a hosted Exchange Provider to Micrsoft Online, is to use the Microsoft Transporter tool to migrate the mail, calendar, contacts, etc from the hosted provider to Microsoft Exchange Online.  If the data is migrated using the transporter tool the messages will be replyable after the migration, and the migration will probably also go quicker for more information on this see:

http://www.microsoft.com/online/help/en-us/helphowto/1cf11fbe-5104-40d9-93ba-fcaec90a3e20.htm

-I have successfully Exported all the PSTs of my Existing Mailboxes to my computer

The PST export and PST import method will work.  The biggest problem with it is the messages that you import, won't always be reply-able on the new Exchange server.  Importing PST's into Microsoft Exchange Online is also very slow, but it will work. 

Hopefully that makes a little more sense.

Chad

Chad Mosman, MessageOps | www.MessageOps.com
    • Proposed as answer by Randall Kent Friday, June 18, 2010 2:11 PM
    • Marked as answer by RIHATUM Friday, June 18, 2010 3:31 PM
    Friday, June 18, 2010 12:52 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Q1 --- No, you'll need to purchase Outlook

Q2 --- You may set your new license key, don't need to download again

Q3 --- It's not via Outlook, you have to set your Outlook profile with Microsoft sign in client, and upload manually (or import) your PST. PST synch is not handled by BPOS tools, and if you wish to migrate directly from Exchange hosted to Exchange Online you may use third party tools as BitTitan

Q4 --- Yes, you'll have all informations in step by step documentation in your administration pannel.

Guillaume Lagache | BPOS Team Leader | France | Ai3 | http://www.ai3.fr
    Thursday, June 17, 2010 1:41 PM
  • Hi Guillaume,

Thanks for a prompt response ;

Q3 --- It's not via Outlook, you have to set your Outlook profile with Microsoft sign in client, and upload manually (or import) your PST. PST synch is not handled by BPOS tools, and if you wish to migrate directly from Exchange hosted to Exchange Online you may use third party tools as BitTitan

Once I download and install the Microsoft sign-in client, profile gets configured, I then open Outlook 2007 / 2010 and use the File > Import and then import the pst ?

is this what you meant ? or what is the way to upload your existing mailbox pst file into Exchange Online ?

Kind Regards

Thursday, June 17, 2010 2:18 PM
  • Hi, if the data is an Exchange mailbox then you should use the migration tools to migrate the data from the server to Microsoft Online.  The migration tools are more reliable and will also make the messages reply-able.

If you only have the data in a PST files then the method you mention to import the PST would be the way to go.

Chad

Friday, June 18, 2010 1:00 AM
  • Hi, if the data is an Exchange mailbox then you should use the migration tools to migrate the data from the server to Microsoft Online.  The migration tools are more reliable and will also make the messages reply-able.

If you only have the data in a PST files then the method you mention to import the PST would be the way to go.

Chad

Hi Chad,

I am not sure whether you understood / read my question properly.

Q - My current Exchange mailbox is at 2GB with my current Hosted Exchange provider, I have exported the PST already, once I signup for Exchange online and it gets activated, will it just be a case of importing my mailbox via outlook and let it sync / upload to the Microsoft Exchange Servers.

Above is my Question :

"""""""""""""""""What do you mean by : if the data is an exchange mailbox you should use the migration tools to migrate he data from the server to Microsoft Online.  The migration tools are more reliable and will also make the messages reply-able.

If you only have the data in a PST files then the method you mention to import the PST would be the way to go."""""""""""""""""""

Your answer is confusing me, can you save sharepoint data to a PST file as well ?

As far as I am aware "Exchange data can be anything from Logs, Databases, mailboxes, mail contacts etc" I am specifically asking of a PST File, which one get when they export a Exchange Mailbox (OST File) to a PST File. - Please clarify.

----

I will re-phrase or try to re-phrase again :

I am only Signing up for Ms Exchange ONLINE Mailboxes
    I have successfully Exported all the PSTs of my Existing Mailboxes to my computer

ONCE I Signup for my exchange online account, setup the users and there mailboxes
    DO I just open up outlook with respective profile for MS Exchange Online and import the PST ?

------

Thanks for updating , will be grateful for your assistance.

Kind Regards

Friday, June 18, 2010 9:34 AM
  • Hi, let me try and address your statements:

-The preferred method to move from a hosted Exchange Provider to Micrsoft Online, is to use the Microsoft Transporter tool to migrate the mail, calendar, contacts, etc from the hosted provider to Microsoft Exchange Online.  If the data is migrated using the transporter tool the messages will be replyable after the migration, and the migration will probably also go quicker for more information on this see:

http://www.microsoft.com/online/help/en-us/helphowto/1cf11fbe-5104-40d9-93ba-fcaec90a3e20.htm

-I have successfully Exported all the PSTs of my Existing Mailboxes to my computer

The PST export and PST import method will work.  The biggest problem with it is the messages that you import, won't always be reply-able on the new Exchange server.  Importing PST's into Microsoft Exchange Online is also very slow, but it will work. 

Hopefully that makes a little more sense.

Chad

• Marked as answer by RIHATUM Friday, June 18, 2010 3:31 PM
    Friday, June 18, 2010 12:52 PM
  • That sure does :-) Thanks Chad.

Now, where can I download this migration tool, will I get access to it Once I signup for it ? I mean the Microsoft Transporter tool download is it free or do we pay for that too ?

Kind Regards

Thanks again for your clarification 

Friday, June 18, 2010 1:39 PM
  • Hello,

The migration tools are free and provided when you get a BPOS subscription.  You can access them for testing if you wish by signing up for a trial.

Regards,

Matt

Friday, June 18, 2010 2:52 PM
  • Hi Chad,

Thanks for your responses and help, there is one slight problem I am facing as follows :

a) I exported a mailbox of around 800MB via "Outlook 2003" to a PST File, I then imported that PST into a Outlook 2010 which was connected to Exchange Online with the user and mailbox I created, for some reason quite a few emails are missing for a whole month (i Think April / May 2010), send and recieve works fine. This is only with ONE Mailbox, the other mailboxes which I exported around 2GB per mailbox via outlook 2007 were fine and each and every item is visible and synced.

I simply Imported the PST after configuring Outlook 2010 either via the MS ONLINE Sign-in Utility or Manually.

Its just this one mailbox of 800 mb which is driving me crazy :-), What I have tried and tested :

If I OPEN (like attaching the pst in an existing outlook profile) the PST via Outlook 2010, all email Items, contacts are Fine, no problems.
    When I import this PST into a live exchange online mailbox, either quite a few items (500-1000 emails) are missing and send & recieve works fine

OR

Emails would all be there, all items will be imported, nothing missing but it won't receive emails and sometimes it won't send emails too via outlook, if I logon via OWA, I will see that I am receiving emails and sending too but I will see that atleast 500- 1000 emails are missing

I will look forward to your response and thoughts on the above.

Thanks and Regards

Tuesday, June 22, 2010 8:33 AM