none
reduce mailbox size

Question

• Hi Experts

I have couple of office365 users and we are using E3 license. mailbox usage shows 99GB but i have a requirement to reduce the size to 5GB for these users.will i be able to do with the below syntax, these mailboxes are recently created mailboxes hardly they use 500 MB.

Set-Mailbox -Identity onlineuser@mydomain.com -IssueWarningQuota 4.8GB -ProhibitSendQuota 4.9G
    B -ProhibitSendReceiveQuota 5GB -UseDatabaseQuotaDefaults $false
    Thursday, May 23, 2019 10:33 AM

Answers

• The only way to reduce actual mailbox sizes is to delete content.  You could do that with Messaging Records Management (MRM), i.e., retention policy, but you'd have to think and experiment on how to effectively remove content.  And all the admonishments I gave you still apply.

Ed Crowley MVP "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems."
    Celebrating 20 years of providing Exchange peer support!

• Marked as answer by ItsMe-Roger Friday, May 24, 2019 2:23 PM
    Friday, May 24, 2019 12:09 AM
  • we are using hybrid environment, we have a plan to migrate these mailboxes back to onprem in near future and we dont want mailboxes to grow, these are recently created mailboxes with maximum of 1GB size, so i want to restrict them to 5GB so is it possible to do this.

Ed is right, setting the mailbox quota could be an option, but it is just a preventive measure, you should move the mailbox as soon as possible to avoid the bad user experience. 

In addition, could you kindly tell us why you plan to move those mailbox back to on-premise? Each user receives unlimited size of storage in the archive mailbox when using E3 license, we could just apply the retention policy and choose to move the old emails to archive to reduce the primary mailbox size.

Regards,

Manu Meng

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Friday, May 24, 2019 8:01 AM

All replies

• If you mean changing the *quota* of the mailbox, yes, that's the right cmdlet.

Thursday, May 23, 2019 5:57 PM
  • But that by itself won't reduce any mailbox sizes.  It'll just greatly inconvenience your users such that they have to delete up to 95 GB of mail from their mailboxes before inbound mail stops being bounced and they have the ability to send mail themselves.  If you do this, especially on a wide basis, then you should be prepared to have to deal with outraged users.

Ed Crowley MVP "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems."

Thursday, May 23, 2019 7:43 PM
  • we are using hybrid environment, we have a plan to migrate these mailboxes back to onprem in near future and we dont want mailboxes to grow, these are recently created mailboxes with maximum of 1GB size, so i want to restrict them to 5GB so is it possible to do this.
    Thursday, May 23, 2019 11:33 PM
  • The only way to reduce actual mailbox sizes is to delete content.  You could do that with Messaging Records Management (MRM), i.e., retention policy, but you'd have to think and experiment on how to effectively remove content.  And all the admonishments I gave you still apply.

Friday, May 24, 2019 12:09 AM

Ed is right, setting the mailbox quota could be an option, but it is just a preventive measure, you should move the mailbox as soon as possible to avoid the bad user experience. 

In addition, could you kindly tell us why you plan to move those mailbox back to on-premise? Each user receives unlimited size of storage in the archive mailbox when using E3 license, we could just apply the retention policy and choose to move the old emails to archive to reduce the primary mailbox size.

Regards,

Manu Meng

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Friday, May 24, 2019 8:01 AM