Sharepoint 2013 Datasheet View Navigation performance Issues on large lists RRS feed

• Question

• I was recently upgraded to SharePoint 2013.

In SharePoint 2010 Datasheet View, one could scroll through and bulk select 100s of line items in Datasheet view very easily.   Navigating the datasheet view was just like navigating through a worksheet in Excel, and one could use quick select keys like ctrl-shift-right arrow / down arrow to bulk select items.

After the upgrade to SharePoint 2013, using the "Quick Edit" tab in Datasheet view and changing the Item Limit to 5000 items, it takes an inordinately long time to load the list.   None of the quick select keys like ctrl-shift-right arrow works anymore and the browser keeps warning about a slow-running script when attempting to select multiple items while scrolling through the list. 

The functionality I need is for users to be able to bulk delete all line items in a SP list and copy (from Excel) and paste new line items into the SP list through their browser. 

Thursday, May 23, 2013 10:31 AM

All replies

• I was recently upgraded to SharePoint 2013.

In SharePoint 2010 Datasheet View, one could scroll through and bulk select 100s of line items in Datasheet view very easily.   Navigating the datasheet view was just like navigating through a worksheet in Excel, and one could use quick select keys like ctrl-shift-right arrow / down arrow to bulk select items.

After the upgrade to SharePoint 2013, using the "Quick Edit" tab in Datasheet view and changing the Item Limit to 5000 items, it takes an inordinately long time to load the list.   None of the quick select keys like ctrl-shift-right arrow works anymore and the browser keeps warning about a slow-running script when attempting to select multiple items while scrolling through the list. 

The functionality I need is for users to be able to bulk delete all line items in a SP list and copy (from Excel) and paste new line items into the SP list through their browser. 

I have the same problem.  Additionally, when we need to paste we aren't able to paste more than 100 items at a time, no matter the number of rows or columns configured in the view.  101 items updated and they all immediately return an error on the far left showing "Unable to communicate with the server."  Is there a throttle setting in SharePoint or client side configuration that I need to change in order to be able to bulk update more than 100 items at a time and speed up the browser script?  Thanks in advance.
    Wednesday, May 29, 2013 9:55 PM
  • Yes!  We are having the same problem.  Our DataSheet view worked great prior to the 2013 upgrade, now performance is terrible...and we have users that get the "slow-running script" error.

Please post if you have found a solution!

Jeff

Wednesday, June 12, 2013 8:07 PM
  • I have a client ready to jump ship over this issue. I did notice that if a Data Sheet view is set up as it would have been in 2010 it's still as quick as it was in 2010. That appears to be a work around. Also noticed Chrome is considerably faster than IE.

Barry Noble

Thursday, June 13, 2013 1:18 AM
  • I have also observed that Quick Edit is not slow on some O365 accounts I have access to but is on another. The difference seems to be, I stress seems, that the account where Quick Edit is slow has calculated columns in the task list. Could content make a difference? That seems like a stretch but I'm at a loss to explain why with the same PC, Quick Edit on one account, xxx.sharepoint.com, is slow (15-20 seconds); while two others yyy.sharepoint.com are not, 2-3 seconds. Thoughts. ~B

Barry Noble

Thursday, June 13, 2013 1:45 PM
  • Were you able to find any answers on this separate from (obviously) what people posted in here?  I am trying to convice people to go to SharePoint 2013 and the QuickEdit feature, is AWESOME but when I AM ON THE SERVER! Development with Server 2012 and SQL 2012 SP1 and SharePoint 2013 Ent Edition August 2013 CU, I cut and paste and want to update QUICKLY but for 50 items, it says NO WAY!  How can that be?  Again, I am ON THE SERVER!  I never have this problem on ANY OTHER feature (that I know of), just QUICK (YA RIGHT) Edit!en when I get errors
    Thursday, October 24, 2013 4:45 PM
  • any news about this problem ?

Jeff ANGAMA. Sharepoint Consultant Blog : Jeff Sharepoint Note Blog
    Twitter : Follow me on Twitter

Tuesday, February 18, 2014 6:53 PM
  • This is "news" NOT a fix!  I found that if I clicked on the red ! then it would try again, and SOMETIMES it would communicate and SOME items would "clear."  This is NOT reliable and not something people are going to be HAPPY To handle / deal with.  I am still beta testing SharePoint 2013 so it is OK for me, but if I roll this out and say "look how good this is" and this is like this, I will look the fool and people will have another reason to "hate" SharePoint!
    Tuesday, February 18, 2014 6:57 PM
  • I don't fully understand your answer, anyway i found a way to solve my issue.

On SHarepoint 2007 we used to paste thousand of lines from excel to the datasheet view.

On SharePOint 2013 there is a product limitation that stop the user to copy more than 100 lines.

I found this great addon to sharepoint 2013 on premise, i dont know if it works on OFFICE 365 though :

http://www.kwizcom.com/free-downloads/datasheet-view-for-sharepoint-2013/

Let me know if that works

Tuesday, February 18, 2014 7:29 PM
  • Sorry for not being clear.

When I got the error's, I would click on the red !'s and then SharePoint would retry to access the database and add the information.  Some of my data would be added to the database.  I would have to continually click on the red ! to have SharePoint retry to add the data to the database.  It would not always work, but sometimes it would and if I kept at it, I might be able to get almost all of my data into the database!

Wednesday, February 19, 2014 12:57 PM
  • I am running SP Server 2013 with the Dec CU on my internal farm.  This past week, I migrated 1 database containing 1 site collection (also ran the site upgrade to 2013).  Prior to the migration, the users were using Datasheet View in 2010 to bulk edit and also add attachments through the pop up window while in Datasheet View.  After the migration, performance on their list using IE8 with less than 300 items was horrible for the end user and also for me as a farm admin (I'm running iE11).  I created a new view and performance seemed better for me and a slight improvement for the end user, but still not satisfying.  The end user is using Chrome in the interim until I can test with IE9 to see if that makes a difference.

My main concern is the Quick Edit view.  This user needs to be able to use the 2010 Datasheet View to manage attachments while in DS view.  I created a new DS view on the affected list, but it still defaults back to the Quick Edit view.  This list is on 1 of 3 web apps in my internal farm.  The interesting thing is that I can create a 2010 Datasheet View in a custom list on a site that was created in 2013 from scratch in another web app on my internal farm.  However, I can only do this on 1 of 3 web apps.  On my 2013 external farm, I can create a DS view in a 2013 site created from scratch in 1 of 2 web apps.  Creating a list on the 2nd web app in DS view defaults the list back to Quick Edit.  I checked in SharePoint Manager thinking there was a web app feature that wasn't getting activated.  There was only 1 web app feature that jumped out.  Academic Library Site Safe Controls was activated on the 2 web apps I could create the 2010 Datasheet View on, but not the other 3 web apps I could only seem to get the Quick Edit view when creating the DS view.

Is there a feature that needs to get activated or one that might need to be deactivated/reactivated?  My internal farm with the 3 web apps is running the Dec 2013 CU and the external farm w/the 2 web apps is running the March 2013 PU.

Aside from that, I've received complaints on the list performance using IE and not being able to use the 2010 datasheet functionality as noted above.  I haven't received any complaints on being able to only copy 100 items in Quick Edit view at a time, but I have also noticed that issue.  In my case, the retry doesn't work and I have to delete anything over 100 items before it will save.  I would like to find a resolution on this as well.  Every bit of help I can get with this issue is very much appreciated.  Thanks in advance!

Sunday, February 23, 2014 8:52 PM
  • Use KWIZ component that bring back datasheet view ?

http://www.kwizcom.com/free-downloads/datasheet-view-for-sharepoint-2013/

Sunday, February 23, 2014 8:56 PM
  • Hi Jeff,  I came across this add-in while looking for a solution w/the Datasheet View.  In my case, all of my solutions are built in-house.  Both farms are nearly identical with the exception of 1 running the March PU and the other the Dec CU.  What I haven't been able to figure out is why I can create the 2010 Datasheet View on a list in 1 web app on each farm, but not the others.  I would think this would be an all or nothing thing.
    Sunday, February 23, 2014 9:00 PM
  • Hi All,

I have a data view webpart and my data source is multiple lists.

I need to add pagination in my data view webpart.

Since m working on 2013 i couldn't able to select the design part and change the properties.

How do i perform this pagination using XSLT?

can anyone assist me??

Thanks in advance.

Anand Kumar

Tuesday, February 25, 2014 2:01 PM
  • In my previous post, I wasn't able to quite figure out why I was able to create a list with the 2010 Datasheet view on 1 web app in each of my 2 farms.  1 web app is the 2013 MySite which uses template SPSPERS.  The other was a migrated 2010 site.  I started digging more and seems that I'm only able to create the 2010 datasheet view on that migrated site using a custom template.  My guess is that the template may not have fully updated when it was migrated over.

Microsoft has gotten away from ActiveX in 2013 to allow the Quick Edit view to be more browser friendly.  Although the Quick Edit view is similar, it's not exactly the same.  For the functionality I was looking for where you can double click on the attachments column and manage the attachments this way, I am going to suggest the Open with Access option in the ribbon if users want the 2010 datasheet experience on a 2013 site.

Tuesday, February 25, 2014 2:24 PM