none
Unable to activate WS2019 via ADBA RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Several weeks ago, we upgraded a WS2016Std Domain Ctrl to WS2019. The WS2016 DC was also hosting Activation Services, and had an entry for the WS2016 channel, to activate several dozens of WS2016 servers.

We are now installing some 2019 Servers, but struggling to activate them against this ADBA infrastructure.

When running slmgr /ato, we get error 0xc004F081 (active directory activation objects not found or invalid). 

slmgr /ao-list does return the complete list of objects.

There is an object for the WS2016 channel. As far as I understand, we don't need a new object for WS2019, as it is the exact same product key. We tried adding it again, to no avail.

It looks like WS2019 and/or the upgrade from WS2016 and/or the activation process is very buggy.

Anyone experienced this?

Thanks!

ND

Sunday, March 24, 2019 10:16 PM

All replies

• Hi,

To activate Windows Server 2019, you should add activation object (Windows Srv 2019 Datactr/Std KMS)  for windows server 2019. The product key isn’t the same as the one of windows server 2016.

Best Regards,

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, March 26, 2019 9:59 AM
  • Hi,
    Was your issue solved?
    If yes, would you like to share your solution in order that other community members could find the helpful reply quickly.
    If no, please reply and tell us the current situation in order to provide further help.
    Best Regards,

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, April 8, 2019 2:19 AM
  • We do face the same Problem. ADBA on WinSrv2012R2 does work for Server 2016 but not for WS2019.

Strangely the to be activated Windows Server 2019 checks KMS first (in opposite to WS2016).

Forcing AD Activation via slmgr /act-type 1 results in 0xC004F081.

The KMS Keys from our current Enterprise Agreement are installed on the ADBA VA Server.

Wednesday, April 10, 2019 11:42 AM
  • Hi,

thanks for your reply. however it still isn't working for me.  I have added my Windows Server 2019 Server standard KMS host key to volume activation tools, when I type slmgr /ato-list on the client, the object is listed correctly.

However, when I run slgmr /ato, I obtain the error code 0xC004F081.

what does this error code mean?  I'd like to confirm if my host key is correct - whichI assume it is.  I have rebooted my server and it is definitely in the domain so I'm unsure as to why the problem could be.

thanks

Alex

Friday, November 22, 2019 4:57 AM