none
DPM fail to backup workgroup computer Internal error code: 0x8099090E RRS feed

• Question

• Hello, 

since may 2017, DPM 2012 r2 fail to backup our web server 2008 SP2. It happened suddenly without any intervention. The webserver is in a workgroup. I have exhauseted all troubleshooting steps over the internet including Microsoft and non-Microsoft articles. 

Servers are fully patched. Agent is latest version 4.2.1603.0. Firewall is disabled on both servers (even with properly configured windows firewall as per Microsoft requirements, problem persist). There is communication between servers. Agent was reinstalled couple of times as per Microsoft article steps. Servers were restarted couple of times. All powershell commands and scripts were used to configure the DPM and the workgroup computer properly, including agent config, dpm account and pass config etc. DCOM permissions are OK. I have tried both with FQDN and NetBios name > same problem. Password for DPM user account is set to never expire. All services responsible for DPM work properly. I have went trough the DPM logs as well as the logs in the event viewer, I have researched the events but they all link to the same troubleshooting steps and suggestions. Unfortunately none of them work in this case.  I have no idea what is causing the issue.

All steps from the link below were tested to no avail:

https://charbelnemnom.com/2015/03/dpm-protection-agent-failed-because-the-service-did-not-respond-internal-error-code-0x8099090e-sysctr/

Please advise. Thanks!

Wednesday, January 24, 2018 1:57 PM

Answers

• House Keeping - closing old post.

Looks like DCOM communications issue - See General DPM networking troubleshooting article.

Data Protection Manager Agent Network Troubleshooting

Regards
    Mike Jacquet

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Friday, January 10, 2020 8:41 PM

All replies

• Hello, 

since may 2017, DPM 2012 r2 fail to backup our web server 2008 SP2. It happened suddenly without any intervention. The webserver is in a workgroup. I have exhauseted all troubleshooting steps over the internet including Microsoft and non-Microsoft articles. 

Servers are fully patched. Agent is latest version 4.2.1603.0. Firewall is disabled on both servers (even with properly configured windows firewall as per Microsoft requirements, problem persist). There is communication between servers. Agent was reinstalled couple of times as per Microsoft article steps. Servers were restarted couple of times. All powershell commands and scripts were used to configure the DPM and the workgroup computer properly, including agent config, dpm account and pass config etc. DCOM permissions are OK. I have tried both with FQDN and NetBios name > same problem. Password for DPM user account is set to never expire. All services responsible for DPM work properly. I have went trough the DPM logs as well as the logs in the event viewer, I have researched the events but they all link to the same troubleshooting steps and suggestions. Unfortunately none of them work in this case.  I have no idea what is causing the issue.

All steps from the link below were tested to no avail:

https://charbelnemnom.com/2015/03/dpm-protection-agent-failed-because-the-service-did-not-respond-internal-error-code-0x8099090e-sysctr/

Please advise. Thanks!

Wednesday, January 24, 2018 9:27 AM
  • House Keeping - closing old post.

Looks like DCOM communications issue - See General DPM networking troubleshooting article.

Data Protection Manager Agent Network Troubleshooting

Regards
    Mike Jacquet

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Friday, January 10, 2020 8:41 PM