none
parameters not passing RRS feed

• Question

• I have an sp which returns  effectively 2 fields display,keys where keys is a non null string of a set of values i.e. "1,2,3"

i built a report which displays the display field and as an action on it it passes the key field to another report in a parameter.

the second report has the parameter defined with available values from an sp1 and default values to all values from an sp1.

I am trying to pass the key field to be used instead of the default. all keys are valid as they come from the same sp1

however, nothing is being received by the second report. I have verified the values existing in report 1

report 1 dataset display, keys which are multi selected from sp1. user chooses a display and the action passes keys from teh dataset to report2 parameter keys

report 2 paramter keys is multiselect with available values from dataset select from sp1 and default values = select from sp1.

but report 2 shows a blank field for the parameter (not even the default values) 

I have tried passing as =SPLIT(JOIN(Fields!keys.Value,","),",") and as =Fields!keys.Value

how can I get this working?

thanx

???

Tuesday, November 19, 2019 4:12 PM

Answers

• You could use SPLIT function, it will split the string at each comma. Then, store the result in an array, you could use index for the array to get particular parameter at some position. For example first parameter at (0)

MSDN Community Support Please remember to click Mark as Answer; the responses that resolved your issue, and to click Unmark as Answer if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Monday, November 25, 2019 6:52 AM

All replies

• I have a report with a multiselect parameter which defaults to 'select all values'. the values come from a list returned by an sp

I want a second report on the action to call the first report passing the value if the field if there is one else cause the dafault to be used

how do I do this?

thanx

???

Wednesday, November 20, 2019 7:00 AM
  • Hi Berli,

Were you trying to pass multi-valued parameter through action? How have you tried this?

Could you add some screenshots or sample .rdl files , so we could understand your issue? You post is very descriptive but still I found several parts are confusing.

MSDN Community Support Please remember to click Mark as Answer; the responses that resolved your issue, and to click Unmark as Answer if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, November 20, 2019 7:06 AM
  • things are in Hebrew, so I doubt screen shots will help too much. let me try again

report 1 table

displayField visible, keyfield invis action call report2 pass keyfield as a parameter 

keyfield is a comma delimited set of values i.e. a specific value, a subset of values, or all the values. it cannot be null

report 2 parameter keyfiled multiselect available values select fieldname,fieldid from sp

default values select fieldid from sp

when report 1 calls report 2 with a single value it arrives safely  ie "1"

when report 1 calls report 3 with multivalues (comma delimated) ie "1,2" no parameter arrives in report 1 (blank) parameter field as seen in the parameter section

i hope that this is clearer

david

???

Wednesday, November 20, 2019 8:30 AM
  • Hi David,

So, I generally get that, you have issue passing multivalued parameter but ok with single valued parameter.

If so, have you tried some approach as you original post, that pass only join(parameters!parameter.value,",") as one string, the do split in the report2 after report 2 get the string?

Regards,

Lukas

Friday, November 22, 2019 7:06 AM
  • ok. interesting idea and worth a try. how would I split the comma delimited received parameter in a report into a list of codes?

???

Friday, November 22, 2019 10:05 AM
  • You could use SPLIT function, it will split the string at each comma. Then, store the result in an array, you could use index for the array to get particular parameter at some position. For example first parameter at (0)

Monday, November 25, 2019 6:52 AM