none
Default values to the root folders inside our document library, using the “Column default value settings” RRS feed

• Question

• I am working on a document library inside a modern team site collection, and i have added 5 managed metadata site columns to the document library.

Then using the "Column default value settings" i set the default values for the root folders. For example i have a root folder named "Main A", which have been linked to a managed metadata column named "Entity Type", as follow:-

enter image description here

Now this managed metadata values LLP will get applied to any sub-folder or document added inside the "Main A" root folder, which is fine. but the issue is that the "Main A" root folder itself will not get any value for the "Entity Type", as follow:-

enter image description here

so i can not do any filtering using the Entity Type when i am inside the root folders, since all the root folders in our case will have empty values for the managed metadata columns. so can anyone adivce on this please, How i can set default values to the root folders themselves, using the "Column default value settings" ? seems the UI will not allow us to do so, so can i use PnP script or any other approaches ?

• Edited by johnjohn11 Monday, November 18, 2019 2:12 AM
    Monday, November 18, 2019 2:11 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Please click the library name in "Column default value settings", thus you could set default values to the root folders.

Best Regards,

Michael Han

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

SharePoint Server 2019 has been released, you can click here to download it.
    Click here to learn new features. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about SharePoint Server 2019.

Monday, November 18, 2019 7:49 AM
  • Hi,

Please click the library name in "Column default value settings", thus you could set default values to the root folders.

Best Regards,

Michael Han

Hi Michael, thanks for your reply. but if i apply the default value/s to the library itself (by clicking on the library name as you mentioned), then all the root folders will get the same defualt values, while in my case i need each root folder to have different default values. so not sure if i can achieve this?
    Monday, November 18, 2019 10:00 AM
  • Hi, johnjohn,

It's not doable to set different column default values to the folders which are in the same level.

For the "Column default value settings", it works like this: If we set a column default value on a folder, the default values only apply to all sub-folders under this folder upon creating a new folder. For folders in the same level, they share the same column default value. 

Best  Regards,

Michael Han

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn new features. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about SharePoint Server 2019.

Tuesday, November 19, 2019 7:57 AM
  • Hi, johnjohn,

It's not doable to set different column default values to the folders which are in the same level.

For the "Column default value settings", it works like this: If we set a column default value on a folder, the default values only apply to all sub-folders under this folder upon creating a new folder. For folders in the same level, they share the same column default value. 

Best  Regards,

Michael Han

ok thanks for the useful information. so can i set the managed metadata values for the root folders using PnP ? i mean to directly set values for the managed metadata columns for the root folders, so i can do filtering using the Entity Type or other fileds when i am inside the root folders?

Thanks

Tuesday, November 19, 2019 10:02 AM
  • Hi John

you can try using the quick edit on the view with the root folder. 

Using Document sets is also an option. There is a walkthrough here.

Tuesday, November 19, 2019 12:25 PM
  • Hi John

you can try using the quick edit on the view with the root folder. 

Using Document sets is also an option. There is a walkthrough here.

The document library does not allow us to use the quick edit. And using Document sets as mentioned in the link you provide, will raise the same issue of not been able to assign the root folders any managed metadata values..

• Edited by johnjohn11 Tuesday, November 19, 2019 3:37 PM
    Tuesday, November 19, 2019 3:37 PM
  • Hi,

You could try the following PnP powershell command to set managed metadata values for the root folders:

connect-pnponline https://tenant.sharepoint.com/sites/michael

#Get the library
    $list=get-pnplist 'Test Library'

#Get the folder with ID
    $folder=Get-PnPListItem -List $list -Id 1

#Set MMS Column value in: "Group|Termset|Parent|Child" format
    $term="TestGroup|Entity Type|LLP"

Set-PnPListItem -List $list -Identity $folder -Values @{"Entity Type"= $term}

Best Regards,

Michael Han

Wednesday, November 20, 2019 3:02 AM
  • Hi,

Are there anything update?

Please remember to mark the reply as an answer if it helps you.

Best Regards,

Michael Han

Monday, November 25, 2019 5:40 AM
  • Hi,

I am checking to see how things are going there on this issue.

Best Regards,

Michael Han

Tuesday, November 26, 2019 9:52 AM