none
Error: Federation information could not be received form the external organization RRS feed

• Question

• I'm trying to setup two different O365 tenants to share free / busy information. Both Tenant A and Tenant B are online-only and not setup in hybrid environments.

While I am able to add Tenant A as a relationship from Tenant B, it's failing when I'm adding Tenant B from Tenant A with the following error message when I add via the GUI:

"Federation information could not be received from the external organization."

Following the instructions at the following link and I've tried both the Powershell and GUI route.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/exchange/sharing/organization-relationships/create-an-organization-relationship

Here is the cmdlet I'm running now. Oddly enough, this seems to work, and the powershell cmd almost "forces it in" and bypasses the error I'm getting with the GUI. So it seems to enable free / busy successfully.

New-OrganizationRelationship -Name {DomainName} -DomainNames {DomainName} -FreeBusyAccessEnabled $true -FreeBusyAccessLevel LimitedDetails -TargetAutodiscoverEpr https://autodiscover-s.outlook.com/autodiscover/autodiscover.svc/WSSecurity -TargetApplicationUri outlook.com

But I still can't run Get-FederationInformation without getting an error:

"Federation information could not be received from the external organization."

Already checked that DNS and the autodiscover record is configured correctly. Having the hardest time figuring out how to enable federation if that's what needs to be done?

Wednesday, May 8, 2019 8:57 PM

All replies

• Run the Get-FederationInformation cmdlet against that domain name, see what it returns. If it returns a failure, rerun it with the -Verbose switch to get the detailed info and post it here.
    Thursday, May 9, 2019 6:36 AM
  • Hi mntyguy17,

Assuming there is an another tenant named Tenant C, could you add Tenant C from Tenant B? And could add Tenant A from Tenant C?

Yes, generally, this error message indicates that the DNS is not configured well, you could double check the DNS records in some third-party websites.

Regards,

Manu Meng

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Thursday, May 9, 2019 6:55 AM
  • Here is the error:

Federation information could not be received from the external organization.
        + CategoryInfo          : NotSpecified: (:) [Get-FederationInformation], GetFederationInformationFailedException
        + FullyQualifiedErrorId : [Server=CY4PR22MB0680,RequestId=831c0a63-d769-4e03-bbc8-74c253a0d7d1,TimeStamp=5/9/2019 2:48:00 PM] [Fa
       ilureCategory=Cmdlet-GetFederationInformationFailedException] C764674C,Microsoft.Exchange.Management.SystemConfigurationTasks.Get
      FederationInformation
        + PSComputerName        : outlook.office365.com

Thursday, May 9, 2019 2:48 PM
  • That's correct. Seems to correlate with the success / failure of the Get-FederationInformation cmdlet. If this cmdlet is successful for the given domain, I can add in as an organization relationship without any issues. If it fails with "Federation information could not be received from the external organization.", that's where I'm unable to establish the organization relationship.

DNS is hosted with GoDaddy and I've already confirmed the following entries are correct and any GoDaddy specific entries are removed.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/office365/admin/dns/create-dns-records-at-godaddy?view=o365-worldwide

Thursday, May 9, 2019 2:51 PM
  • That's correct. Seems to correlate with the success / failure of the Get-FederationInformation cmdlet. If this cmdlet is successful for the given domain, I can add in as an organization relationship without any issues. If it fails with "Federation information could not be received from the external organization.", that's where I'm unable to establish the organization relationship.

DNS is hosted with GoDaddy and I've already confirmed the following entries are correct and any GoDaddy specific entries are removed.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/office365/admin/dns/create-dns-records-at-godaddy?view=o365-worldwide

Could you please rerun Get-FederationInformation with the -Verbose switch to get the detailed info as Vasil suggested and kindly post the result here?

Regards,

Manu Meng

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Tuesday, May 14, 2019 9:15 AM
  • Just checking in to see if above information was helpful. Please let us know if you would like further assistance.

Regards, 

Manu Meng

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to shareexplore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Monday, May 20, 2019 9:34 AM
  • Here is the output:

+ CategoryInfo          : NotSpecified: (:) [Get-FederationInformation], GetFederationInformationFailedException
        + FullyQualifiedErrorId : [Server=CY4PR22MB0680,RequestId=54bbfa2b-bb9f-40d5-a079-2493c8f9b179,TimeStamp=5/21/2019
        1:42:51 PM] [FailureCategory=Cmdlet-GetFederationInformationFailedException] C42C0277,Microsoft.Exchange.Manageme
      nt.SystemConfigurationTasks.GetFederationInformation
        + PSComputerName        : outlook.office365.com
    What's interesting is when I run the same command for the 'onmicrosoft.com' domain in the tenant, it works.

Tuesday, May 21, 2019 1:44 PM
  • Here is the output:

+ CategoryInfo          : NotSpecified: (:) [Get-FederationInformation], GetFederationInformationFailedException
        + FullyQualifiedErrorId : [Server=CY4PR22MB0680,RequestId=54bbfa2b-bb9f-40d5-a079-2493c8f9b179,TimeStamp=5/21/2019
        1:42:51 PM] [FailureCategory=Cmdlet-GetFederationInformationFailedException] C42C0277,Microsoft.Exchange.Manageme
      nt.SystemConfigurationTasks.GetFederationInformation
        + PSComputerName        : outlook.office365.com
    What's interesting is when I run the same command for the 'onmicrosoft.com' domain in the tenant, it works.

Did you verify the smtp domain successfully in this tenant? 

Regards,

Manu Meng

Friday, May 24, 2019 10:09 AM
  • Think so but how would I confirm?
    Wednesday, May 29, 2019 3:16 PM
  • Think so but how would I confirm?

You could check the following in your Office 365 portal, if the domain is verified successfully, it would display as "Setup complete", otherwise you may need get passed the verification or re-add the domain via this document link: Add a domain to Office 365.

Regards,

Manu Meng

Monday, June 3, 2019 8:31 AM