none
Site Template created through browser (Sharepoint UI) in a Sharepoint Online team site. Would sites created from this template get updates from microsoft ? RRS feed

• Question

• What if I create a OOTB default team site based on team site template and create a OOTB list in it and save site as a template and use that template to create new sites in share point online ? Would this newly created sites based on that template get updates from microsoft in sharepoint online? I see creating site template functionality is available in team sites  as long as publishing feature is not turned on on root site collection and I am able to create sites based on template created from OOTB team site in sharepoint online. 

Is remote provisioning a must even though 95 percent of site content/design is covered by OOTB team site template, only one or two extra OOTB lists need be created on that default team site. 

Dhaval Raval

• Edited by DelIT Tuesday, January 10, 2017 2:17 PM Added more info
    Tuesday, January 10, 2017 1:53 AM

All replies

• Hi Dhaval Raval,

What did you mean “get updates from Microsoft”?

If there are some SharePoint Online updates, such as the new experience (modern view), the updates will be deployed in all sites including the sites created by the custom site template.

And SharePoint doesn’t support creating a template from a site where publishing or community features were enabled. This is because the publishing feature creates site elements that are not supported as part of a template, and these elements remain even when the feature is disabled. This also includes templates that were created through SharePoint Designer.

Best Regards,

Linda Zhang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Wednesday, January 11, 2017 6:46 AM
  • By saying get updates from Microfot I meant microsoft continuously pushes new features and functionality to sharepoint online and asks consumers to not customise master page and page layouts otherwise they will not get new updates. I wanted to know of I create a team site using OOTB team site template and then create 2-3 OOTB lists and then save this site as a template and use it to create new team sites. By doing this, would those newly created site based on template still get those new updates and features pushed out by microsoft in sharepoint online ?

Dhaval Raval

Wednesday, January 11, 2017 8:02 PM
  • Hello could you please confirm ?

Dhaval Raval

Friday, January 13, 2017 2:31 PM
  • Hi Dhaval Raval,

Yes, the site still can get the new updates.

Best Regards,

Linda Zhang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Tuesday, January 17, 2017 9:38 AM
  • Hi as per this article : https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/vesku/2013/08/23/site-provisioning-techniques-and-remote-provisioning-in-sharepoint-2013/

He is saying sites created from site templates created from OOTB team site having only OOTB list and libraries (site templates created using save site as template feature) will not get updates from Microsoft in sharepoint online. This is not true. Am I correct ?

Dhaval Raval

Monday, February 13, 2017 9:28 PM