none
Issue in Discovering Servers while creating PG on DPM 2019 RRS feed

• Question

• Hey Guys,

I have a DPM Server and a Hyperv Host on which i have 3 Primary VM's and 3 replica VM's (These VMs are getting replicated from a different Host ) . Now, we are planning to take a backup of replica VM's instead of Primary VM's as we are having issues with checkpoint that gets created while replication and backups happen and in turn its creating multiple AVHDX files. These AVHDX files wont get merged until we shutdown or manually merge which is leading to customer downtime.

Hence we planned to take the backup of replica VM's which will help us in avoiding the issues for replication that will creating multiple AVHDX files instead on the primary server.

However, Now we are facing issues with client discovery . I am creating a new Protection group in DPM 2019 console and when trying to add "Servers", i dont see the replica VM's under Hyper-v Tab . I havent found much of articles which could help and tried all the possible ways to get this sorted. Any help on this please?

Sai

• Edited by Sai_phani Wednesday, June 17, 2020 8:55 AM
    Wednesday, June 17, 2020 8:55 AM

Answers

• Hello Sai,

DPM does not support backing up both Primary and Replica VM at the same time. You can protect only one instance at any given point. 

In your situation, you need to stop protect the data from existing PG so that DPM will remove information of VM1 instance from its DB and then you can refresh the PG to get the replica VM listed.

NOTE: An add-on information :If you have DPM1 and DPM2 in primary and secondary relation and you are protecting VM1 (Primary) from DPM1 (Primary DPM server) and Want to protect VM2 (Replica VM) from DPM2 (Seconday DPM) - This will not work either.  Reason being: Secondary DPM server will have all the datasource information of Primary DPM server. So seconday DPM server will automatically know that Vm2 is a Replica VM of VM1 which is already protected from Primary DPM server. 

So you have to be careful while configuring Replica VM in DPM as things can be little tricky at times ;) 

• Proposed as answer by Tanvi Garg Wednesday, June 17, 2020 6:13 PM
    • Marked as answer by Sai_phani Thursday, June 18, 2020 10:23 AM
    Wednesday, June 17, 2020 5:06 PM

All replies

• Hi

When you configure DPM to protect both primary and recovery hosts, the Hyper-V VM will appear on any of the Servers as it will have the same GUID.

Protect the primary and the secondary Hyper-V hosts using either different DPM or if you want to protect both primary and recovery using same DPM, make sure that you check both servers to discover the VM.

Best regards,
    Leon

Blog: https://thesystemcenterblog.com LinkedIn:

Wednesday, June 17, 2020 9:19 AM
  • Hi @leon

How do i protect a Single Hyperv host on different DPM servers?

Also how do i ensure that both primary and replica VM's are discovered in DPM? Is there any option that needs to be checked in DPM?

Sorry a layman guy in DPM :) 

Sai

Wednesday, June 17, 2020 9:25 AM
  • You can only protect a Hyper-V host with one DPM server.

But if you have a primary Hyper-V host, you can protect it with your primary DPM server, and then protect the secondary Hyper-V host with your secondary DPM server.

So if you only have one DPM server, make sure you have DPM agents on both the primary and secondary Hyper-V hosts, then you should be able to see your Hyper-V Replica VMs when creating/modifying a protection group.

Wednesday, June 17, 2020 9:30 AM
  • I have Agents installed on both Primary and secondary Hyperv hosts.

However here is the scenario.

I have 2 Hyperv hosts.
    1 - Host 1

2 - Host2

I am replicating the VM's on Host 2 Hyperv host to Host 1 Hyperv host which is nothing but a replica VM on host 1 hyperv host.

In this case, Now when i have only 1 DPM server on which i wanted to backup the replica VM's which are getting replicated to Host 1 Hyperv Host from Host 2 Hyperv Host.

Its not showing the replica VM's in the DPM server. It is just showing the VM which are on Host 1 Hyperv hosts not the VM's which are getting replicated from Host 2 Hyperv .

Hope this makes the things clear.

Sai

Wednesday, June 17, 2020 9:51 AM
  • Are you currently backing up the primary VMs? If yes, try removing them/it from the protection group, then Refresh, and check if you see the replica VM on the secondary Hyper-V host.

• Proposed as answer by Leon Laude Wednesday, June 17, 2020 6:17 PM
    Wednesday, June 17, 2020 10:04 AM
  • Hello Sai,

DPM does not support backing up both Primary and Replica VM at the same time. You can protect only one instance at any given point. 

In your situation, you need to stop protect the data from existing PG so that DPM will remove information of VM1 instance from its DB and then you can refresh the PG to get the replica VM listed.

NOTE: An add-on information :If you have DPM1 and DPM2 in primary and secondary relation and you are protecting VM1 (Primary) from DPM1 (Primary DPM server) and Want to protect VM2 (Replica VM) from DPM2 (Seconday DPM) - This will not work either.  Reason being: Secondary DPM server will have all the datasource information of Primary DPM server. So seconday DPM server will automatically know that Vm2 is a Replica VM of VM1 which is already protected from Primary DPM server. 

So you have to be careful while configuring Replica VM in DPM as things can be little tricky at times ;) 

• Proposed as answer by Tanvi Garg Wednesday, June 17, 2020 6:13 PM
    • Marked as answer by Sai_phani Thursday, June 18, 2020 10:23 AM
    Wednesday, June 17, 2020 5:06 PM
  • Thank you . Issue is sorted

Sai

Thursday, June 18, 2020 10:23 AM