none
Real time collaboration with only view permissions RRS feed

• Question

• Hello everyone,

I have an excel in a sharepoint folder with several people with edit permissions using it in real time and it works great.

But now I also need that the customer can see this live changes without having to refresh the page, but I cannot give them write (edit) permissions... Is this possible?

Thanks in advance :)

Wednesday, May 16, 2018 9:07 AM

All replies

• Hi,

If you have business partners or vendors with whom you need to collaborate or share documents, consider setting up a SharePoint Online extranet site. An extranet site is a dedicate site collection that you use for business-to-business collaboration with a particular partner or vendor. You can lock this site down so that only site owners can invite external users and only external users from specific domains can be invited.

SharePoint Online extranet sites are very easy to set up and much easier and less expensive to maintain than on-premises extranet sites. For details, see Use Office 365 SharePoint Online as a business-to-business (B2B) extranet solution.

Best Regards,

Carl Zhou

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Thursday, May 17, 2018 2:34 AM
  • Thank you for your reply.

In my case that is not an option (but I believe it will not address the issue that I'm having).

Basically the company is the same, I just need that other business groups can see in real time the changes made in an excel file by the other team, even better I just want to know if this possible or not.

From what I've found its impossible since the user must always click in EDIT to see the changes being made in the file, making it impossible to read only access to have this view... I believe Google solution manages this but I'm not sure.

Thursday, May 17, 2018 9:34 AM
  • If users are editing the excel in the browser itself then changes are saved automatically. Set the option "Who should see draft items in this document library?" to "Any user who can read items" under Library settings --> versioning settings. Then users with read permissions should be able to see the changes.

Anupam Shrivastava

• Edited by Anupam KS Thursday, May 17, 2018 12:03 PM junk chars
    Thursday, May 17, 2018 12:02 PM