none
Managing distribution groups after removing hybrid configuraiton RRS feed

• Question

• Currently if we try to edit who can or can not send to a mail enabled distrubtion group(group is synced from onprem and migrated to 365) if we go to exchange online panel and try to edit who can send to it, we are told this must be done onprem on the user object. 

If we remove all exchange servers onprem and go fully cloud, but still use AD connect to sync users etc, what will happend when we need to do such changes? After removing the inbound connectors for hybrid, will we then be able to edit these things in 365 as you can when the group is created directly in the cloud?

regards

• Edited by Thondal Tuesday, November 19, 2019 7:46 PM
    Tuesday, November 19, 2019 7:26 PM

Answers

• Thank you Andy. I was fully aware that it is not supported, but due to maintenance cost of keeping a server alive just because Microsoft can’t come up with a good solution to manage aliases, does not mean than small businesses can keep on paying for a windows license and keep patching a server (even though the exchange server itself is free). Editing proxy addresses when adding 1 or 2 users monthly at max is not really an issue. So, back to the question, what will happen after we remove it? Will we be able to edit these changes or is it also part of what is not supported and the groups needs to be re created in cloud only for example?
    In your scenario, I would delete the group on-prem and recreate it in 365, honestly.
    • Marked as answer by Thondal Friday, November 22, 2019 1:38 PM
    Wednesday, November 20, 2019 12:11 PM

All replies

• Currently if we try to edit who can or can not send to a mail enabled distrubtion group(group is synced from onprem and migrated to 365) if we go to exchange online panel and try to edit who can send to it, we are told this must be done onprem on the user object. 

If we remove all exchange servers onprem and go fully cloud, but still use AD connect to sync users etc, what will happend when we need to do such changes? After removing the inbound connectors for hybrid, will we then be able to edit these things in 365 as you can when the group is created directly in the cloud?

regards

That wouldnt be supported.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/exchange/decommission-on-premises-exchange

Tuesday, November 19, 2019 9:04 PM
  • Thank you Andy. I was fully aware that it is not supported, but due to maintenance cost of keeping a server alive just because Microsoft can’t come up with a good solution to manage aliases, does not mean than small businesses can keep on paying for a windows license and keep patching a server (even though the exchange server itself is free). Editing proxy addresses when adding 1 or 2 users monthly at max is not really an issue. So, back to the question, what will happen after we remove it? Will we be able to edit these changes or is it also part of what is not supported and the groups needs to be re created in cloud only for example?
    • Edited by Thondal Wednesday, November 20, 2019 6:25 AM
    Wednesday, November 20, 2019 6:22 AM
  • Hi Thondal,

For the hybrid environment, you can use AAD Connect to synchronize the on-premises DLs with AAD so that they appear in the cloud GAL. The groups will have to be managed on-premises because they are "owned" by that environment.

And I find a similar case here about Hybrid / DL members management for your reference.

Regards,

Joyce Shen

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, November 20, 2019 9:24 AM
  • Thanks Joyce.

But after removing the exchange onprem, how would I say decide who is allowed or not allowed to send to these groups? For example the "onlye senders inside organisation" option or similar. 

Wednesday, November 20, 2019 11:21 AM
    In your scenario, I would delete the group on-prem and recreate it in 365, honestly.
    • Marked as answer by Thondal Friday, November 22, 2019 1:38 PM
    Wednesday, November 20, 2019 12:11 PM
  • Thanks Andy. 

If I recreate the groups in 365 and use group writeback in Azure AD Conncet, will it work after removing the exchange hybrid configuration? Or is the group writeback function dependant on exchange onprem in hybrid?

Unclear what the answer is when i'm looking at this article: https://docs.microsoft.com/nb-no/exchange/hybrid-deployment/set-up-office-365-groups?redirectedfrom=MSDN

Thursday, November 21, 2019 8:38 AM
  • Thanks Andy. 

If I recreate the groups in 365 and use group writeback in Azure AD Conncet, will it work after removing the exchange hybrid configuration? Or is the group writeback function dependant on exchange onprem in hybrid?

Unclear what the answer is when i'm looking at this article: https://docs.microsoft.com/nb-no/exchange/hybrid-deployment/set-up-office-365-groups?redirectedfrom=MSDN

If all your mailboxes are in 365, then there is prob no reason to writeback any 365 groups you create ( As opposed to a regular DL which isnt written back).

Thursday, November 21, 2019 12:29 PM
  • Thanks for all the help! Sorry if I sounded rude or anything. 
    Thursday, November 21, 2019 11:53 PM
  • Hi Thondal,

Do suggestions above help? If you have any questions or needed further help on this issue, please feel free to post back. If the issue has been resolved, please mark the helpful replies as answers, this will make answer searching in the forum easier and be beneficial to other community members as well.

A brief summary of this post so that other forum members could easily find useful information here:

[Managing distribution groups after removing hybrid configuraiton - summary]

Issue Symptom:
    Remove all exchange servers onprem and go fully cloud, still use AD connect to sync users etc, best solution.

Solution:
    For the hybrid environment, you can use AAD Connect to synchronize the on-premises DLs with AAD so that they appear in the cloud GAL. The groups will have to be managed on-premises because they are "owned" by that environment.
    In this scenario, it is supported to delete the group on-prem and recreate it in o365.

Reference Links:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/exchange/decommission-on-premises-exchange

Regards,

Joyce Shen

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Friday, November 22, 2019 7:06 AM
  • We had to recreate the groups to be able to edit them. 

We were able to manipulate the following values:

msExchRequireAuthToSendTo & authorig as these values are the one being used by exchange onprem. 

But in the end it was easier to just recreate the groups in exchange online. 

Friday, November 22, 2019 1:49 PM