none
Disconnected Sessions after RDP Disconnect RRS feed

• Question

• Server 2019

RDP into server and then disconnect.

RDP back into server > Task Manager > Users tab > you will see a "disconnected" session.

Sign off of that disconnected session.

RDP back into server, lock the server, then disconnect from server.

RDP Back into server > Task Manager , Users Tab, no disconnected sessions.

Is this a known bug in Server 2019?  This does not happen in Server 2016 or other previous server versions.

Wednesday, November 6, 2019 10:22 PM

All replies

• HI
    "RDP into server and then disconnect.
    RDP back into server > Task Manager > Users tab > you will see a "disconnected" session."
    1 do you have 2 domain account(one account is domain admin account and the other is "testa" account) to test this issue ?so you can use mstsc to remote access RDSH W2019 by using  testa account on win10 then close the rdp window .Meanwhile you can use domain admin account rdp back into server > Task Manager > Users tab > you will see a "disconnected" session of testa ?

2 "RDP back into server, lock the server, then disconnect from server."
    I can not reproduce this symptom on w2012r2 ,w2016,w2019 .
    I simulate your issue like below :
    I use administrator account to logon session host w2012r2 locally and wait testa to remote access RDSH W2012 .after testa remote access RDSH W2012r2 and testa click "start" then select "lock" his account like picture1.
    I see 
    Task Manager>user tab by using administrator account ,I see testa session is active not disconnect.when testa close the rdp window ,his session go to disconnect .
    windows 2012r2 RDSH,w2016 RDSH,w2019 RDSH have the same symptom .
    It means locking use account on session host server not equal to disconnect session .

If I reproduce your question incorrectly, please explain in detail steps how I reproduce your question.  

Best Regards
    Andy YOU
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, November 7, 2019 9:07 AM
  • Remote to the server and then disconnect.

Remote to the server again and you will see under task manager > Users > there is a disconnected session.

Right click that disconnected session and choose sign off.  Lock the session > Disconnect

Remote back to that server and check Task manager > users > you will not see a disconnected session.

Why must I lock the session first prior to disconnecting.

I would assume the disconnected sessions are still consuming resources.

Thursday, November 7, 2019 2:36 PM
  • HI
    Step 1:Remote to the server and then disconnect.
    should I only use administrator account to reproduce your issue or should I use 2 domain  accounts to reproduce your issue in all your steps? is my operation correct in step1 ?like picture ?

step 2:

Remote to the server again and you will see under task manager > Users > there is a disconnected session.
    if I use administrator to remote access w2016 RDSH again ,I can not see disconnected session for administrator.

I check this symptom on both w2016 RDSH and w2019 RDSH.

Best Regards
    Andy YOU
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Sunday, November 10, 2019 12:51 PM
  • HI
    4 could you please use below link method to verify your technet forum account so that you can post picture and website link about your issue video ?
    https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/5c00b9a9-3afe-4ee9-bbf0-34157716b92a/verify-my-account?forum=reportabug

5 in general ,when we disconnect a session for domain user on RDSH W2016 or RDSH W2019 , the session state of this domain user will be change to "disconnect",when we logon RDSH W2016 or RDSH W2019 again,session state of this domain user will be change to “active”(it means the "disconnect" state  disappear.)

Best Regards
    Andy YOU

Sunday, November 10, 2019 1:03 PM
  • HI

Is there any progress on your question?

Best Regards
    Andy YOU

Saturday, November 16, 2019 5:26 AM