none
powershell script will not terminate properly - universal dashboard RRS feed

• Question

• Hi ppl,

I am developing a script to create a new user account in AD and have encountered an issue that i hope someone can help with.

The script is setup to be used with the Universal Dashboard (Community Edition) developed by Adam Driscoll. 

I can use the current script to perform the following functions:

• create a new user in an OU of my specification
    • copy groups from one user to the new user
    • create a homedrive folder
    • assign permissions to the homedrive folder based on the new account details

The issue i am having is when i try and set the Remote Services Profile path.

When i add the following code, the settings are applied to the new user account, however, the dashboard page will not print the completed status.  Whereas, if i omit the RDS path portion, the script completes properly and i can see the account with all settings applied (minus the RDS as it has been omitted) and the Univ. D/Board displays the completed message.

In AD, even though the dashboard doesnt show the completed message, the user account has the profile path applied as expected.

$Dashboard = New-UDDashboard -Title "Test Dashboard" -Content {

New-UDInput -Title "Test Dashboard" -Endpoint {

## new user creation portion omitted  ##

$DisplayName = "Username"
    $UserID = "userid"
    $OUBase = "path to OU in AD"
    $RemProfPath = "\\server\folder\$UserID"

##  below is the part of the script that does not allow the dashboard to complete ##

$UserInstancePID = Get-ADUser -SearchBase $OUBase -Filter {displayName -eq $DisplayName} -Properties company, department, distinguishedName, memberof, manager, mobilePhone, OfficePhone, SID, telephoneNumber ,title  | Select-Object  company, department, distinguishedName, memberof, manager, mobilePhone, OfficePhone, SID, telephoneNumber ,title
    $NewUser = [ADSI]"LDAP://$($UserinstancePID.distinguishedName)"
    $NewUser.psbase.invokeset("terminalservicesprofilepath",$RemProfPath)
    $NewUser.setinfo() 

##  above is the part of the script that does not allow the dashboard to complete ##

New-UDInputAction -Content {
        New-UDCard -Title "Confirmation" -Text "The user account $DisplayName with User ID $UserID has been successfully created." 
            }
        } -Validate
    }

Start-UDDashboard -Dashboard $Dashboard -Port 10001

Is there something that i am missing with regards to terminating/completing the part of the script that updates the RDS prof. path?

Your help is appreciated.

Regards,

Thursday, December 5, 2019 2:58 AM

All replies

• For issues with off-market utilities please post to the vendor or author of the product.

There is no need to use ADSI with this  Just use Set-AdUser.

Updates to AD may be delayed due to replication and replication issues.

\_(ツ)_/

Thursday, December 5, 2019 3:58 AM
  • Hi JRV,

Unfortunately, this parameter does not exist when using Set-ADUser.

I am trying to set the terminal services path and not the profile path.

Unless i am missing something, can you please provide the switch you are referring to?

Regards,

Thursday, December 5, 2019 4:18 AM
  • It does. Carefully read the help for the CmdLet.  Use the "Add" or "Replace" parameter.

\_(ツ)_/

Thursday, December 5, 2019 4:23 AM
  • i am unable to find the attribute that you say can be applied with the Set-ADUser cmdlet

are you referring to the 'msTSProfilePath' attribute?

This is not what i am looking to update.

I would like to update the following value:

is this something that can be achieved with the set-aduser cmdlet?

Thursday, December 5, 2019 5:28 AM
  • That is an old property and the ADSI method is the only way to set it.  It appears to be discontinued after WS2012.

\_(ツ)_/

Thursday, December 5, 2019 5:47 AM
  • Alternatively, you could use the RDUserSetting PowerShell module I wrote:

https://github.com/Bill-Stewart/PowerShell-RDUserSetting

Set-RDUserSetting username dcname -RDProfilePath "path"

The dcname parameter is the computer name of a domain controller (or a local computer).

(The module was designed to manage these properties of local accounts, but it works for domain accounts if you specify a domain controller's name for the computer name.)

-- Bill Stewart [Bill_Stewart]

Thursday, December 5, 2019 2:44 PM