none
Import pst files RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

i am going to migrate to bpos and i have many pst to import. The official procedure is to use Outlook to import the pst files. I need a way to automate it..there is no way using scripts, powershell cmd or exmerge ?

thanks

Thursday, June 17, 2010 7:51 PM

Answers

• Hi Paolo,

What type of email environment are you coming from? Hosted Exchange? On premise Exchange? POP/IMAP?

Jakester brings up a valid point that migrating via a PST results in some odd behavior; however, there are tools available to mitigate this behavior. Checkout some general documentation in the "Email Migration" section of:

http://www.microsoft.com/online/help/en-us/helphowto/Exchange-Online.htm

We typically use and recommend the Migration Tools provided by Microsoft or BitTitan's MigrationWiz.

Best,

Randall Kent | The Sevaa Group | www.sevaa.com
    Friday, June 18, 2010 2:19 PM
  • The difficulty Jakester is indicating is that, in an on-premise environment, x500 and x400 addresses are stored in user account.  When hitting reply on those email sent internally, it will attempt to send to the x500/x400 address, which is a direct folder mapping, which is different than the folder mapping configured in BPOS.  This produces an NDR because it is attempting to deliver to a location that doesn't exist.

The mailbox migration tool is available to migrate from one server to another and fixes this issue, but doesn't, however, handle PST files at this time.

Saturday, June 19, 2010 1:35 AM

All replies

• When I migrated PSTs, I found that when I tried to hit Reply on the migrated mail it wouldn't deliver successfully. Just a heads up - you might want to test it for yourself.
    Thursday, June 17, 2010 9:31 PM
  • Hi Paolo,

What type of email environment are you coming from? Hosted Exchange? On premise Exchange? POP/IMAP?

Jakester brings up a valid point that migrating via a PST results in some odd behavior; however, there are tools available to mitigate this behavior. Checkout some general documentation in the "Email Migration" section of:

http://www.microsoft.com/online/help/en-us/helphowto/Exchange-Online.htm

We typically use and recommend the Migration Tools provided by Microsoft or BitTitan's MigrationWiz.

Best,

Randall Kent | The Sevaa Group | www.sevaa.com
    Friday, June 18, 2010 2:19 PM
  • The difficulty Jakester is indicating is that, in an on-premise environment, x500 and x400 addresses are stored in user account.  When hitting reply on those email sent internally, it will attempt to send to the x500/x400 address, which is a direct folder mapping, which is different than the folder mapping configured in BPOS.  This produces an NDR because it is attempting to deliver to a location that doesn't exist.

The mailbox migration tool is available to migrate from one server to another and fixes this issue, but doesn't, however, handle PST files at this time.

Saturday, June 19, 2010 1:35 AM