none
Testing Office 365 Deployment RRS feed

• Question

• Hi There,

My company is moving to office 365 in the near future, as part of this we are re-creating our local domain and starting fresh. I have built the new domain in a Hyper-V VM running Server 2012 R2 Standard and promoted it to a DC with a new <companyname>.local domain.

I have also activated an Office 365 subscription under the domain <companyname>.onmicrosoft.com. This is an E3 subscription.

Currently we have an on-premises Exchange server hosting everyone's emails @<companyname>.com

We want to have the full suite of Office 365 deployed, with single sign-on across the new domain.

My question is, If I go ahead with the set up connecting 365 to my new domain and testing single-sign on, before migrating any real data or emails, am I able to "easily" add our @<companyname>.com domain to 365 and have those email accounts bind to users created under the @<companyname>.onmicrosoft.com accounts? Because they are currently bound to my old domain, which users are currently working from. Also if I set up directory sync on the new domain and something goes wrong. am I able to remove configuration from Office 365 and start again? (If needed)

Regards

Sebastian Burrell

MCP, MCTS

Wednesday, March 5, 2014 10:50 AM

Answers

• 

Hi,

You should take a look at the FastTrack tool located at http://fasttrack.office.com

That tool would guide you trough all the steps you describe.

You will not be able to use both Office 365 and the on-premises mail solution at the same time in the environment you describe. This is because you cannot point you MX record both to Exchange Online and Exchange On-Premises at the same time. What you could do on the other hand it so use Connected accounts during the pilot. This is described in the Pilot step in FastTrack.

You can wipe everything you have in Office 365 before you migrate production data to it. Just remember to hard delete the content, so you don't get sync errors because of conflicting items.

For some reason my copy/paste function don't work, so I'm not able to give you many links, but if you use the FastTrack tool and searches online for the tings I have mentioned, you should be able to do all of this.

I hope this answered your questions :)

/Anders Eide

• Marked as answer by SebBurrell Wednesday, August 12, 2015 8:42 AM
    Thursday, March 6, 2014 8:46 AM