none
External sharing SPO modern - works on items or folder but not on list or library RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I am able to externally share in SPO Modern files or folders but not a list or library which contains the items or folders, is this something I need to enable at SP admin portal?

I can click on 'share' and type in an external address, and it works fine for an item but not for a list...

Thanks

Tuesday, November 12, 2019 2:32 PM

All replies

• Hi G99,

SharePoint Online has external sharing settings at both the organization level and the site level (previously called the "site collection" level). 

External sharing allows you to share documents, files, folders, lists, libraries, and complete sites in your SharePoint Online.

What error did you got when share on list or library?

Navigate to list/library settings->permissions for this document library->check whether you can share the list/library with external user. 

Best Regards, 

Lisa Chen 

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

SharePoint Server 2019 has been released, you can click here to download it.
    Click here to learn new features. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about SharePoint Server 2019.

Wednesday, November 13, 2019 2:58 AM
  • Hi

i get the following error when i go to list settings - permissions for this list - click on grant permissions and type in an external email address:

Your organization's policies don't allow you to share with these users. Please contact your IT department for help.

But as mentioned i can still share items in another document library in the same site, to external users, so the external sharing IS enabled at tenant level, I just cannot share items in this list or the entire list... i cant see any settings to enable external sharing for a list?

Wednesday, November 13, 2019 10:03 AM
  • Hi G99, 

Double check that you have enabled external sharing on both the organization level and the site level. 

Navigating to classic SharePoint admin center->Sharing->Choose "Allow sharing to authenticated external users and using anonymous access links"->ok.

enter image description here

Navigating to classic SharePoint admin center->site collections->choose sharing->Choose "Allow sharing with all external users, and by using anonymous access links"->ok.

Turn external sharing on or off for SharePoint Online for your reference:

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Turn-external-sharing-on-or-off-for-SharePoint-Online-6288296a-b6b7-4ea4-b4ed-c297bf833e30

Best Regards, 

Lisa Chen 

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn new features. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about SharePoint Server 2019.

Friday, November 15, 2019 9:58 AM
  • Hi G99, 

If a reply helps you, please remember to mark it as an answer.

Thanks for your understanding. 

Best Regards, 

Lisa Chen 

Thursday, November 21, 2019 9:06 AM
  • Hi G99, 

Is there anything update?

Best Regards, 

Lisa Chen 

Tuesday, December 3, 2019 9:38 AM