none
Outlook for iOS and Android changes it's ID RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,
    since we implemented a hybrid exchange environment (Exchange 2010 + Exchange Online) we started to use Outlook on our iPads for those who have O365 accounts (over a dozen devices).

Unfortunately, this app changes it's ID from time to time. This is very annoying because we use mobile device policy and every new device goes to quarantine first for admin approval, so suddenly, mobile users can not use email.

Does anyone know this issue and what is the source of it?

Monday, September 3, 2018 11:50 AM

All replies

• Hi .meu,

Thanks for visiting Outlook IT Pro Discussions forum. Then here we mainly focus on general issues about Outlook desktop clients on Windows for Mac so I am afraid little we can help regarding your issue about Outlook for iOS and Android. 

May I know what do you exactly mean by "it's ID"? Do you mean the device ID? if this is the case, hopefully the description in the links below can be helpful:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/exchange/clients-and-mobile-in-exchange-online/outlook-for-ios-and-android/outlook-for-ios-and-android-faq
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/exchange/clients/outlook-for-ios-and-android/manage-devices#device-identifiers-and-access-control

If you mean any "app ID" which is more related to the Outlook app for mobile services, personally I'd like to suggest consulting in the dedicated forum for Outlook for Android and Outlook for iPhone or iPad for better response. Thanks for your understanding and support.

Regards,

Yuki Sun

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Tuesday, September 4, 2018 7:37 AM
  • May I know what do you exactly mean by "it's ID"? Do you mean the device ID?

Yes, I meant the device ID:

Sometimes when user opens the app Outlook for iOS and Android, it looks like new installed (although he used it before and the account was configured). He must add the account (by typing email and password) and then Exchange recognizes this app as a new one because it has new device ID.
    • Edited by .meu Wednesday, September 5, 2018 1:29 PM new facts
    Wednesday, September 5, 2018 1:10 PM
  • Hi .meu,

Thanks for clarifying. Then as the issue is more related to Exchange, I'll move your thread to the dedicated forum for Exchange Online for further assistance. 

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/office/en-US/home?forum=onlineservicesexchange

The reason why we recommend posting appropriately is you will get the most qualified pool of respondents, and other partners who read the forums regularly can either share their knowledge or learn from your interaction with us. Thank you for your understanding.

Regards,

Yuki Sun

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Thursday, September 6, 2018 9:05 AM
  • Thank You.
    Thursday, September 6, 2018 5:28 PM
  • There are better and more supported ways to restrict the Outlook App.  One of them is Azure Active Directory Conditional Access.

Ed Crowley MVP "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems."
    Celebrating 20 years of providing Exchange peer support!

Thursday, September 6, 2018 10:48 PM
  • There are better and more supported ways to restrict the Outlook App.  One of them is Azure Active Directory Conditional Access.

Ed Crowley MVP "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems."

Yes, but you need "Azure Active Directory P1" or "P2" for that. I have just "Azure Information Protection Premium P2" and "Office 365 Enterprise E3".

Monday, September 10, 2018 10:54 AM
  • From the article Yuki provided, we can see that:

Upon initial account login, Outlook for iOS and Android establishes a connection to the Office 365-based architecture. A unique device ID is generated, and this device ID is what appears in Active Directory device records (which can be retrieved with cmdlets such as Get-MobileDevice in Exchange Online Powershell) and which appears in HTTP request headers.

In your case, "Sometimes when user opens the app Outlook for iOS and Android, it looks like new installed (although he used it before and the account was configured). " I think Exchange online think of it as initial account login, so device ID changes. I think it is a expected bahavior.

Regards,

Gavin Gao

Wednesday, September 12, 2018 6:18 AM
  • I think Exchange online think of it as initial account login

It looks like it is. But why? It is not initial login. This happens to users who have been using this application all the time and the account has been added for a long time.

Wednesday, October 31, 2018 1:38 PM
  • Did you ever find out why? I am running into same issue in my Exchange 2016 on-premise environment.

Thursday, May 23, 2019 10:24 PM
  • We recommend to our customers to buy the Enterprise Mobility Suite, which is a nice package of features for a reasonable price.

Friday, May 24, 2019 12:06 AM
  • No. We've completely abandoned Outlook for iOS and returned to the native Mail application for iOS.
    Friday, May 24, 2019 5:01 AM