none
canceling a report does not cancel the query behind the report at all. RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

we found out that cancelling a report only canceling the rendering. I still can see the job in management studio (open reporting service in SSMA and there open jobs) and I still can see a SQL Server connection runnig the query (if it is a long running query :-) )

Is there a way the user of the report to cancel the complete report together with the job and the SQL Server connection running the query?

I'm aware of the timeout settings in RS. That is not a solution.
    I also know the administrators can either cancel the job or killing the SQL Server connection. But these possibilities are also no solution for the "normal" reporting server user!

Regards

Wolfgang Kunk
    Tuesday, November 19, 2019 12:15 PM

Answers

• Hi Wolfgang,

Actually, I do agree with you for this point, if the user hit the cancel, the whole process should be stop, logically.

But I am not aware of what the development team are facing at this point,  I suggest you submit the requirement at https://feedback.azure.com/forums/908035-sql-server.

If the requirement mentioned by customers for many times, the product team may consider to add this feature in the next SQL Server version. Your feedback is valuable for us to improve our products and increase the level of service provided.

Back to our topic, for the SSRS web App, since what we could do or interact with, is the report body area. For your scene, contradictory, we could not interact with report context unless it is rendered. So from my hombre opinion, there is no work around here from the official feature of SSRS. 

Still we recommend, if possible, to use snapshot for long processing report. This could enhance the report server performance and  avoid the issue you are meeting here. 

Regards,

Lukas 

MSDN Community Support Please remember to click Mark as Answer; the responses that resolved your issue, and to click Unmark as Answer if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Thursday, November 21, 2019 1:59 AM

All replies

• Hi Wolfgang,

I am afraid that normal user can not cancel query from the client side. This , from my point of view,  is not what report users are concerning about, they would only need to see the report result and what they need.

This should be administrative job from the back end by administrators as you have already pointed out.

I think we could enable cache report and Snapshot for those reports, which need long time querying. So, when the users request the report they could get them immediately without querying, thus requesting and canceling would not cause too much load on the report server.

Hope these thoughts could help a bit.

Regards,

Lukas 

MSDN Community Support Please remember to click Mark as Answer; the responses that resolved your issue, and to click Unmark as Answer if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, November 20, 2019 5:44 AM
  • Hi Lukas,

I do not agree. If a user has the possibillity to cancel a report, the whole report should be canceled, the RS-job and the query (or the connection) on the SQL Server too.
    Only cancelling the report rendering is really a suboptimal solution, in fact this could be dangerous if several user canceling reports and all the (long) running queries encumber the SQL Server unnecassarily .

And I'm not aware of how to distinguish between queries of cancelled reports and queries of still active reports!

Regards
    Wolfgang

Wednesday, November 20, 2019 1:23 PM
  • Hi Wolfgang,

Actually, I do agree with you for this point, if the user hit the cancel, the whole process should be stop, logically.

But I am not aware of what the development team are facing at this point,  I suggest you submit the requirement at https://feedback.azure.com/forums/908035-sql-server.

If the requirement mentioned by customers for many times, the product team may consider to add this feature in the next SQL Server version. Your feedback is valuable for us to improve our products and increase the level of service provided.

Back to our topic, for the SSRS web App, since what we could do or interact with, is the report body area. For your scene, contradictory, we could not interact with report context unless it is rendered. So from my hombre opinion, there is no work around here from the official feature of SSRS. 

Still we recommend, if possible, to use snapshot for long processing report. This could enhance the report server performance and  avoid the issue you are meeting here. 

Regards,

Lukas 

Thursday, November 21, 2019 1:59 AM