"Shared Documents" renamed in "File Explorer" "Can't read from the source file or disk" when trying to rename back RRS feed

• Question

• One of our users, recently upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10 and managed to use the options in Teams to Navigate to the Sharepoint site and then used the option to open the library in File Explorer.

Then added the link for the library into "Quick Access" links (like they did previously in Windows 7 where it was "Favorites")

Then after adding a few like this realised that all folders are showing as "Shared Documents" under "Quick Access" so decided to rename them all to something more meaningful (as you used to be able to do in Windows 7 when they were Favorites)

Unfortunately once this was done all the links in teams were broken for all other users using it because these were all still pointing to the original "Shared Documents" folder that now no longer exists. (because this action actually renamed the folder on the SharePoint site)

I managed to easily resolve this for one of the Teams by simply following a similar procedure and renaming the folder back to "Shared Documents" using "File Explorer". 

However on one of the other Teams, when I try and rename the folder back using File Explorer I get an error "Can't read from the file or disk"

My first thought was that the folder might be in use and I have left it overnight to see if I can rename it but that made no difference.

Would really appreciate if anybody that has experienced this before could advise how best to get this folder renamed back to what it should be. (Or alternatively have to alter teams to look at the new folder I suppose)

TIA

Thursday, March 5, 2020 2:54 PM

Answers

• Hi GTEM,

Could you run PnPPowerShell cmdlets on your machine?

If yes, you can use the following cmdlets to change library URL:

#Set Parameters
    $SiteURL = "https://xxx.sharepoint.com/sites/wendy2/"
    $ListName = "documents"
    $NewListURL = "Shared Documents"

#Connect to PNP Online
    Connect-PnPOnline -Url $SiteURL -Credentials (Get-Credential)

#Get the List
    $List= Get-PnPList -Identity $ListName -Includes RootFolder

#sharepoint online powershell change list url
    $List.Rootfolder.MoveTo($NewListURL)
    Invoke-PnPQuery

If you don't install PnPPowerShell on your machine, you need to install it firstly. 

About how to install PnPPowerShell, you can refer to:

PnP PowerShell overview installation   

Please have a try and let's know the result.

Best Regards,

Wendy

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

SharePoint Server 2019 has been released, you can click here to download it.
    Click here to learn new features. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about SharePoint Server 2019.

• Marked as answer by GTEM Monday, March 9, 2020 10:05 AM
    Monday, March 9, 2020 3:20 AM

All replies

• Hi GTEM,

Thanks for visiting our forum. Our forum focuses on Microsoft Teams, which is the hub for team collaboration in Office 365. 

Based on your description, this problem seems related to SharePoint, I will move this case to SharePoint Online forum (https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/office/en-US/home?forum=onlineservicessharepoint ). Hope you get better response.

Thanks for your understanding. 

Best Regards,
    Sharon Zhao

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Friday, March 6, 2020 6:14 AM
  • Hi GTEM,

In fact, the location of the default Files tab in Teams is the default library(Shared Documents) of the SharePoint Teams site, its URL is like https://xxx.sharepoint.com/sites/<sitename>/Shared%20Documents . Per my knowledge, currently, there is no way to change it in Teams.

So, after you renamed the default library, it reported the folder no longer exists.

To rename back, you can use SharePoint Designer 2013 to achieve it.

There is a blog about renaming a list/library using SharePoint Designer 2013, you can refer to it:

Change Document Library or List URL using SharePoint Designer 2013

Note: Microsoft is providing this information as a convenience to you. The sites are not controlled by Microsoft. Microsoft cannot make any representations regarding the quality, safety, or suitability of any software or information found there. Please make sure that you completely understand the risk before retrieving any suggestions from the above link.

Best Regards,

Wendy

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn new features. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about SharePoint Server 2019.

Friday, March 6, 2020 8:08 AM
  • Apologies for the delay in response. I had a few other suggestions to try and thought it best to do one at a time to avoid any confusion on what actually fixes this. Unfortunately I do not yet have the answer.

First I had a suggestion to un-tick the "read only" box on the folder in File Explorer which I tried but this took all day to propogate through all the folders before it finished and I could try and rename it back to "Shared Documents" but it still failed.

Next I checked for any checked out documents in the folder and also left it over the weekend to ensure nobody has any files open. I did find one checked out document and discarded the checked out document and tried again but still failed.

Next I thought to try Sharepoint Designer as suggested here.  Not having used Sharepoint Designer in a few years now I first had to install in. Never actually used it in the cloud before. After installing I found I could not connect. Suggests there is a problem with my account. I think this might be because we use MFA. Checked Azure AD and found Conditional Access Policy is blocking Legacy Apps..

Not sure where to go next with this. Any help will be appreciated.

Sunday, March 8, 2020 9:00 PM
  • Hi GTEM,

Could you run PnPPowerShell cmdlets on your machine?

If yes, you can use the following cmdlets to change library URL:

#Set Parameters
    $ListName = "documents"

#Connect to PNP Online

#Get the List

Invoke-PnPQuery

If you don't install PnPPowerShell on your machine, you need to install it firstly. 

About how to install PnPPowerShell, you can refer to:

PnP PowerShell overview installation   

Please have a try and let's know the result.

Best Regards,

Wendy

• Marked as answer by GTEM Monday, March 9, 2020 10:05 AM
    Monday, March 9, 2020 3:20 AM
  • Awesome!!!  Thank you. I was thinking I might have to try powershell and still wondering which of the options to use when your response came back.

Thank you so much.
    Monday, March 9, 2020 10:04 AM
  • Hi GTEM,

Thanks for marking my reply as answer. I’m pleased to know that the information is helpful to you. 

Here I will provide a brief summary of this post for your information.

["Shared Documents" renamed in "File Explorer" "Can't read from the source file or disk" when trying to rename back]

Environment

====================

SharePoint Online+Windows 10

Question

====================

"Shared Documents" cannot be renamed after changing its name via File Explorer

Suggestions

====================

After changing the name of "Shared Documents" via File Explorer, the url of the library in SharePoint site is changed.

In general, to change the url of a library, you can use the following methods:

1. File Explorer

2. SharePoint Designer 2013

3. PowerShell/PnPPowerShell cmdlets

For your scenario, as using File Explorer didn't work and SharePoint Designer 2013 is not allowed on your machine, I suggest you use PnPPowerShell cmdlets to achieve it.

The demo code for your reference:

#Set Parameters
    $ListName = "documents"

#Connect to PNP Online

#Get the List

Invoke-PnPQuery

References:

Change list or library URL in SharePoint 2013/2016

PnP PowerShell Installation

Best Regards,

Wendy

Tuesday, March 10, 2020 8:33 AM