none
SharePoint Expand Quick Launch RRS feed

• Question

• I have a main site and a bunch of sub sites that have quick launch items that are collapsed under headings to help organize the subsites.  They are collapsed by default and I need them to be expanded by default.  The main site is a WIKI page but all of the subsites are team sites.  I have found this website (below) which gives me the code that I need to put inn but I am not sure where I need to actually put the code into.  I am new to developing on SharePoint and have very little to no web editing in the past. 

I have access to SharePoint designer and can connect to the site with that.  I am pretty sure its on the master page but I am not sure where exactly it is on the master page.

http://mr-sharepoint.blogspot.com/2015/05/simple-expandcollapse-for-quick-launch.html

Monday, November 18, 2019 9:21 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Per my test in my SharePoint Online environment, the Quick Launch menu is collapsed by default in modern UI but expanded by default in classic UI.

Are you planning to customize the modern UI Quick Launch menu, or is it acting differently in your environment? Have you enabled Tree View?

Please note that modern UI currently doesn’t support customization on Quick Launch.

If it’s for classic UI Quick Launch, you can open SharePoint Designer and make a copy of the master page file, then add the sample script above “</head>” tab. After that, save the master page and then click “Set as Default” on the ribbon.

Here’s your reference.

How to: Customize the Display of Quick Launch.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/previous-versions/office/developer/sharepoint-2010/ms466994(v=office.14)

In addition, the sample code you provide is not complete and needs modification.

Here’s another post with a sample script for your reference.

[Forum FAQ]Collapse or Expand the Quick Launch in SharePoint 2013.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/aad7b81c-2898-43db-bf36-9a6fbcaf97ba/forum-faqcollapse-or-expand-the-quick-launch-in-sharepoint-2013?forum=sharepointgeneral

Best regards,

Chelsea Wu

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

SharePoint Server 2019 has been released, you can click here to download it.
    Click here to learn new features. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about SharePoint Server 2019.

Tuesday, November 19, 2019 9:49 AM
  • We are using the modern UI, I see this is a very common question and very common request, is this something that Microsoft is going to be looking at implementing anytime soon?  We need to have the option to either expand or collapse the menus, and not to be stuck in one way or the other.
    Tuesday, November 19, 2019 2:27 PM
  • Hi,

Microsoft will look into new feature development based on users’ needs. In fact, the default behavior of Quick Launch has undergone changes since it was first published.

I suggest you submit your idea via SharePoint UserVoice or vote for this post instead. 

Here’s the entrance for SharePoint UserVoice forum.

https://sharepoint.uservoice.com/forums/329214-sites-and-collaboration?category_id=144324

Best regards,

Chelsea Wu

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn new features. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about SharePoint Server 2019.

Wednesday, November 20, 2019 2:03 AM
  • Hi,

If you find any reply helpful to you, please remember to mark it as answer.

Thank you for your understanding.

Best regards,

Chelsea Wu 

Friday, November 22, 2019 1:33 AM