Autoreply RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Experts

i have a requirement to set autoreply for an onprem Distribution list for example dl@contoso.com, i am using 2010 exchange hybrid environment, i have created a shared mailbox by name sm@contoso.com on exchange onprem and migrated it to cloud, i have added this shared mailbox to this DL i have set autoreply for this shared mailbox, when user is triggering emails to this DL, user is not getting autoreply email but when is triggered to shared mailbox he is getting autoreply email. Please guide me on this. below is the rule

Apply this rule after the message arrives
    have server reply using Automatic reply:test

Friday, June 19, 2020 1:00 PM

Answers

• https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powershell/module/exchange/set-distributiongroup?view=exchange-ps

Make sure -SendOofMessageToOriginatorEnabled

is set to $true for that group

The SendOofMessageToOriginatorEnabled parameter specifies how to handle out of office (OOF) messages for members of the group. Valid values are:

• $true: When messages are sent to the group, OOF messages for any of the group members are sent to the message sender.

• $false: When messages are sent to the group, OOF messages for any of the group members aren't sent to the message sender. This is the default value.

• Marked as answer by ItsMe-Roger Wednesday, June 24, 2020 2:01 PM
    Friday, June 19, 2020 1:56 PM
  • Hi,

Do you enable OOF for the user mailbox?

Based on my test, OOF messages won't be received if the recipient is a distribution list. You can check the message header of the message, and you can see that OOF is listed after the header "X-Auto-Response-Suppress", which means suppress Out of Office (OOF) notifications:

For your reference: Auto Response Suppress.

Additionally, you can use Message Header Analyzer tool to analyze the message header.

Regards,

Lydia Zhou

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Monday, June 22, 2020 7:34 AM

All replies

• https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powershell/module/exchange/set-distributiongroup?view=exchange-ps

Make sure -SendOofMessageToOriginatorEnabled

is set to $true for that group

The SendOofMessageToOriginatorEnabled parameter specifies how to handle out of office (OOF) messages for members of the group. Valid values are:

• $true: When messages are sent to the group, OOF messages for any of the group members are sent to the message sender.

• $false: When messages are sent to the group, OOF messages for any of the group members aren't sent to the message sender. This is the default value.

• Marked as answer by ItsMe-Roger Wednesday, June 24, 2020 2:01 PM
    Friday, June 19, 2020 1:56 PM
  • i have made this change but still issue persists
    Friday, June 19, 2020 7:55 PM
  • i have made this change but still issue persists

If by auto reply you mean the Out of Office , then it only fires once per sender. So if you testing with the same sender again, you wont see it

If you created an Outlook rule auto-reply, then make sure the rule fires for messages sent to the DL , not the mailbox itself.

If that doesnt work check message tracking, DLs and auto replies arent really compatible and if adding the shared mbx to a DL doesnt make it work, you may want to look at a different way to do what you are trying to do

Friday, June 19, 2020 8:54 PM
  • Hi,

Do you enable OOF for the user mailbox?

Based on my test, OOF messages won't be received if the recipient is a distribution list. You can check the message header of the message, and you can see that OOF is listed after the header "X-Auto-Response-Suppress", which means suppress Out of Office (OOF) notifications:

For your reference: Auto Response Suppress.

Additionally, you can use Message Header Analyzer tool to analyze the message header.

Regards,

Lydia Zhou

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Monday, June 22, 2020 7:34 AM