none
Can not add printers that ARE there RRS feed

• Question

• Problem: go to control panel - printers and devices. Click Add a printer. Select the printer that I want isn't listed. Add a local or network printer as admin. Add printer using tcp/ip. Enter IP address of printer. Next "contacting printer", "detecting tcp/ip port". "Additional port info required".....wrong!

I have done this on this server many many times. normally it finds the printer and installs the correct driver. This printer is on the same subnet as the server and the server can ping it just fine. I have three other printers the same make and model already installed. This printer was working but on occasion, the server seems to lose track and the normal fix was remove/reinstall. 

I went to the server print management in the management console found an error "removing printer" shown for this printer. I deleted said printer from print management and restarted the print spooler......did not help.

Am having this same problem on a printer of the same type on another subnet. Can ping it fine as well.

This all used to work just fine...now what? 

Friday, November 15, 2019 4:35 AM

Answers

• It has been a very long time since that screen did not pop up for me. I learned not to worry about it when, several years ago, we had some Xerox technicians on-site. One of them observed me setting up a Xerox Workcentre. When I selected Xerox Workcentre in that drop-down menu on the screen we've been talking about, they told me to go back and select Generic Network Device instead and to not specify. I never received any more issues.
    • Edited by Wizerud Wednesday, November 27, 2019 10:43 PM bad grammar
    • Marked as answer by Keshka Thursday, November 28, 2019 2:08 AM
    Wednesday, November 27, 2019 10:29 PM

All replies

• HI
    "I have three other printers the same make and model already installed."
    1 did you mean there have been 3 the same model printers installed on this printer server ,but only one printer have the problem?
      are all 3 the same model printers in the same network segment as the printer server ?
    "Am having this same problem on a printer of the same type on another subnet. "
    2 do you mean you have the model printer install on printer server and it is in another network segment,but it can work?
    3 when you add the problematical printer ,is there any log about your issue ?
    event viewer\windows logs\
    application
    system
    event viewer\windows logs\applications and services logs\microsoft\windows\printservice
    event viewer\windows logs\applications and services logs\microsoft\windows\termininalservice-printers
    4 if restart power of the problematical printer ,will the problem persist ?
    5 can you enter winver in command prompt on printer server and look the os version and os version number ?
    6 what's the issue printers model ?
    7 are both the normal printer and issue printer have the same 
    Firmware version ?
    8 if you try to change cat 6 ethernet cable and change another switch port to connect problematical printer ,will the problem persist ?

Best Regards
    Andy YOU
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, November 15, 2019 7:58 AM
  • HI
    Is there any progress on your question?

Best Regards
    Andy YOU
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, November 20, 2019 1:32 AM
  • 1. on our network we have around 30 of these exact same printer, all purchased at the same time. A few of them exist on each of our five subnets. The server is on one of the five subnets. The five subnets are connected with a L2TP/IPsec VPN. 

2. Many of these printers are installed and working fine. At times one will lose sync with the server and I fix this by deleting the printer then add it back

3. there could be. But when the "add a printer" routine can not identify the printer and defaults to add a generic tcp/ip port, I know it has failed.

4. power cycle of the printer does not help. Remember, these are fixed ip printers.

6. Brother HL-L2370DW

7. All purchased at once. No updates performed. 

8. yes have tried moving and tried alternate ip addresses.

as I mentioned ....this is a new problem. I have been adding and removing printers for years. With this server for four years. This just started about two weeks ago. Normally the server identifies and adds the printer. And, perhaps related. printing to any printer on our network has slowed greatly. Sometimes taking 10-20 minute to print.

Wednesday, November 20, 2019 2:53 AM
  • HI
    for example,
    Brother HL-L2370DW in subnet segment 1
    Brother HL-L2370DW in subnet segment 2
    Brother HL-L2370DW in subnet segment 3
    Brother HL-L2370DW in subnet segment 4
    Brother HL-L2370DW in subnet segment 5
    issue printer server is in subnet segment 5

" This just started about two weeks ago."
    9.is there one printer server in each subnet(total 5 printer servers) or is there total only one printer server in all five subnet(total 1 printer servers)?
    10.when the problem happen,if we go to Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Troubleshooting on printer server ,then click programs finally select "printer". can it find printer issue?
    11.did your printer issue only happen in subnet segment 4 ?(It means there are 5 subnet , only one subnet printers can not be added to printer server.)
    12.for example, issue printer server is in subnet segment 5.is there other member server in the issue printer server subnet segment 5?can't this member server also add the problematical printer ?

Best Regards
    Andy YOU

Tuesday, November 26, 2019 9:56 AM
  • But when the "add a printer" routine can not identify the printer and defaults to add a generic tcp/ip port, I know it has failed

This does not mean it has failed. The "Additional Port Info Required" page as far as I can tell is meaningless. Leave it on Generic Network Card in the Device Type drop-down menu then proceed to the next page where you can select your driver. I've installed hundreds of printers, various brands (HP, Xerox, Canon, Dell), without any failure on multiple server OS versions this way. 
    Wednesday, November 27, 2019 8:17 PM
  • That is what I have been doing then select the correct driver. It's a work around but still stumped as to why it quit being able to discover the printer(s)

Wednesday, November 27, 2019 9:33 PM
  • It has been a very long time since that screen did not pop up for me. I learned not to worry about it when, several years ago, we had some Xerox technicians on-site. One of them observed me setting up a Xerox Workcentre. When I selected Xerox Workcentre in that drop-down menu on the screen we've been talking about, they told me to go back and select Generic Network Device instead and to not specify. I never received any more issues.
    • Edited by Wizerud Wednesday, November 27, 2019 10:43 PM bad grammar
    • Marked as answer by Keshka Thursday, November 28, 2019 2:08 AM
    Wednesday, November 27, 2019 10:29 PM