none
Migrate Outlook 2007/POP3 PST environment to Exchange Online RRS feed

• Question

• I need to migrate 10 Outllook 2007 users who currently use a POP3 mail system setup to download email to local PST. In some cases they have multiple other email accounts in their Outllook profile that use seperate PST files. I only want to migrate their primary email domain POP3/PST content to the new Exchange Online service, but I still need the profile to allow send/receive functionality to other email accounts in their profile as currently defined. What issues am I facing (Example: Does using the sign-in tool setup the new Exchange Online profile and keep all other email account functionality)? If I have several users accessing a "shared" POP3 account via web mail, how do I migrate that data into Exchange Online? What is the best migration strategy and specific steps?
    Mark M. Carpenter
    Friday, June 24, 2011 2:42 PM

Answers

• Greetings Mark!

Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner.  What you're asking to do sounds reasonable.  Here are the options I might suggest.  You can set up an Exchange account per user in the current profile they are using.  Mind you in Outlook 2007 there can be only one Exchange account per profile.  You would have to manually set up that profile with the information provided here: http://blogs.technet.com/b/simonmay/archive/2010/08/16/manually-configure-outlook-2010-for-exchange-online-bpos.aspx  Yes, it says for Outlook 2010 however it should tell you what you need for Outlook 2007.

Another option is to allow the Single Sign in client create a new profile and re set up your other accounts into that profile.  As I understand this is not the option you really want to do.  You may wish to let the sign in client set up one profile to get the settings and then manually put it into the existing profile like above.

The one caveat on manually setting it up is that if you need to call support regarding Outlook/Exchange we will ask you to reconfigure your profile using the sign in client.  If you keep that in mind, you should be fine.  I'm assuming you're tech savvy enough to do this.

Vickie

Wednesday, June 29, 2011 2:40 AM

All replies

• Greetings Mark!

I need to know one more piece of information before I can really answer you.  The POP3 system accounts that you're choosing to bring to Exchange... will they be accessed as POP accounts or Exchange?  That will make all the difference in how I answer you.

Vickie

Friday, June 24, 2011 10:55 PM
  • Vickie,

The intention is to migrate their primary email accounts that are currently POP3 on a UNIX platform to the Exchange Online environment as Exchange clients...not using POP3. However, many of these folks want to continute to maintain their other POP3 email accounts (hotmail, yahoo, gmail...whatever) and access those throught Outlook 2007 client like they currently do. Most of the migration information seems to be centered around much large migrations and going directly from POP3 (where the data is all stored at the server and not downloaded to Outlook) or existing local Exchange environments.

Regards,

Mark M. Carpenter

Mark M. Carpenter
    Monday, June 27, 2011 2:05 AM
  • DataMills has automatic tools to migrate email data out of PST files onto respective mailbox. http://www.datamills.com

Tuesday, June 28, 2011 9:32 AM
  • Greetings Mark!

Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner.  What you're asking to do sounds reasonable.  Here are the options I might suggest.  You can set up an Exchange account per user in the current profile they are using.  Mind you in Outlook 2007 there can be only one Exchange account per profile.  You would have to manually set up that profile with the information provided here: http://blogs.technet.com/b/simonmay/archive/2010/08/16/manually-configure-outlook-2010-for-exchange-online-bpos.aspx  Yes, it says for Outlook 2010 however it should tell you what you need for Outlook 2007.

Another option is to allow the Single Sign in client create a new profile and re set up your other accounts into that profile.  As I understand this is not the option you really want to do.  You may wish to let the sign in client set up one profile to get the settings and then manually put it into the existing profile like above.

The one caveat on manually setting it up is that if you need to call support regarding Outlook/Exchange we will ask you to reconfigure your profile using the sign in client.  If you keep that in mind, you should be fine.  I'm assuming you're tech savvy enough to do this.

Vickie

Wednesday, June 29, 2011 2:40 AM
  • Thanks Vickie,

Not exactly what I was hoping, but it sounds like single sign-in client is the way to go and add other email accounts.

What about importing contacts from Outlook to Exchange Online GAL. I was REALLY surprised that there wasn't some kind of import tool in the admin console. I've done a few online searches and what I found doesn't look pretty.

Mark M. Carpenter
    Wednesday, June 29, 2011 5:12 AM
  • Thanks Mark! 

Yes, you've uncovered a rather sore point.   There is no way to upload a contact list in a file.  The one way you are able to do it would be with directory synchronization.  Given what you've told me thus far, you either aren't using a Windows based solution in the first place (I could be wrong here) or you don't have an Exchange Server (which I DID assume with the mention of unix and various POP accounts).

If you're not completely committed to BPOS yet I would really suggest Office 365 instead.  It does allow you to upload your contacts AND it doesn't require the sign in client thus allowing you to use your existing Outlook profiles.

Vickie

Wednesday, June 29, 2011 4:58 PM
  • Vickie,

I spoke to a MS Partner a couple of months ago about Office 365, but it wasn't ready yet. When I spoke to him a few weeks ago about proceeding ahead with Exchange Online, Office 365 wasn't really mentioned...so I signed my client up with Exchange Online.

I just signed up for a trial of Office 365 to look at the contacts import and found that this only appears to import contacts into your local Contacts Folder and not the Exchange Online GAL, so this doesn't really solve my problem. However, I'm wondering if my client should have still signed up with Office 365 as it appears to not have a minimum license purchase and is only $1 more per month. Can an Exchange Online subscription be migrated to Office 365?

FYI: I found an "ugly" way to import the large amount of contacts my client has into the Exchange Online GAL:

1.) Setup Windows Server 2008 and Exchange 2007 demos locally on Windows 7 Virtual PC (had to create a DC and member server - for directory sync)

2.) Install and configure directory sync tool on member server

3.) Export my contacts from Outlook 2007 to a CSV

3.) Search endlessly for a decent Powershell script I could modify and actually get to work...this was the most time consuming as documentation is really hard to find. I tweaked my CSV a little and was able to import it into my local "demo" Exchange Server and then use the directory sync tool to push it up to Exchange Online.

Mark M. Carpenter
    Wednesday, June 29, 2011 5:48 PM