none
Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool November 2019 reinstall RRS feed

• Question

• Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool November 2019 reinstalling each time I run Windows Update on Windows Server 2019 (build 17763.864 ) . It ia not re-downloaded, just re-installed (re-ran) Is this a bug? I guess so, I hope the machine is not infected with some nasty thing.
    Tuesday, November 12, 2019 9:07 PM

All replies

• It's reinstalled 4 times on the same Server 2016 machine here pushed from a WSUS server over and over.  I have "Not approved" it to stop the endless cycle.

The download links from the KB article have 404 broken links too.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/890830/remove-specific-prevalent-malware-with-windows-malicious-software-remo

Tuesday, November 12, 2019 10:22 PM
  • Only updated once here on a couple of instances Server 2019

you can report your experience over here on uservoice.

https://windowsserver.uservoice.com/forums/304618-installation-and-patching

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows Server] Datacenter Management

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

Tuesday, November 12, 2019 10:44 PM
    Owner
  • Perhaps some configuration of the installation to be faulty? I mean the installed components. Today the ISP had some issues, could this cause some malfunctions in checking for updates? My guess is probably not?
    Tuesday, November 12, 2019 11:06 PM
  • Yes, its possible the ISP issues could be problematic. I did report the 404 errors for the downloads. If / when they report it fixed you could try a manual download / install. I'll post here if I get and update.

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows Server] Datacenter Management

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

Tuesday, November 12, 2019 11:17 PM
    Owner
  • It looks like a signing issue, tried it on a couple of servers with the same result and then withdrew it from publication on the WSUS server.
    Wednesday, November 13, 2019 11:43 AM
  • I'm also seeing repeated reinstalling on lots of machines - mainly Windows 10 Education 1903 64-bit, but also on other older versions of Windows 10 - installation via WSUS.  And a machine that I updated to 1909 via the Enablement Package is also now reinstalling the WMSRT again!  Machines that I have checked so far all show successful in Update History, but then still try to reinstall.  WSUS is also showing it as installed.  Lots of other posts on the web with people having the same issue.  Looks like a bug somewhere.  I'll be unapproving it in WSUS until I hear it is fixed!
    Wednesday, November 13, 2019 6:51 PM
  • Hi

Maybe you can use Registry Editor to Disable Microsoft Malicious Software Removal Tool from Installing. More details you could refer to the following link

Disable Malicious Software Removal Tool From Installing

Hope can help you. Have a nice day!

Best regards

Kiki

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, November 14, 2019 9:18 AM
  • Windows 10 and Server 2016 are installing MSRT correctly now.  Windows 7 MSRT is still broken as of a test earlier today.  I assume Server 2008 is too but I have not tested that.
    Thursday, November 14, 2019 9:33 PM
  • Issue seems to have been fixed now.
    Friday, November 15, 2019 3:46 PM
  • Hi,

I am very glad to hear that this problem has been solved.  We are very grateful for your time and effort.

Please mark a helpful reply as answer, this behavior can let other forum user get useful information.

Thanks.

Have a nice day!

Best regards,

Kiki 

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, November 18, 2019 1:40 AM
  • I'm on Windows 7 64-bit I went to update MRT from October to November today, but it did not come up after waiting a short while, it showed it was in but MRT icon was not right, just a box. first time ever this has happened, so I'll try to manually download and see if it installs by this.
    • Edited by lg147 Wednesday, November 20, 2019 1:13 AM
    Wednesday, November 20, 2019 1:11 AM
  • Hi,

If any reply is useful for you, please kindly mark it as an answer.

If you need further help, please feel free to reply this post directly so we will be notified to follow it up.

Have a nice day^_^

Regards,

Kiki

Monday, December 2, 2019 2:22 AM