Sharing and unique permissions RRS feed

• Question

• Good evening, 

I have been looking through technet and docs but cannot seem to locate an authoritative answer concerning permissions.

Currently I am working a migration project which needs to bring in multiple folders with unique permissions which is likely to exceed the 50,000 unique limit.  re-architecting can lower this somewhat, but I was curious what effect if any sharing a folder would have.  Does a share count against the unique permission threshold?

Tuesday, August 14, 2018 3:04 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hi Alex,

Do you mean you want to have a folder with unique permission and you want to invite more than 50000 users to have access to it? Are you sharing the floder using SPO external sharing?

Per my knowledge, Microsoft has unlimited number of external guest users thru SPO external sharing.

If I misunderstand your issue, please tell me.

Best regards,

Allen Bai

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Wednesday, August 15, 2018 10:03 AM
  • Good day Allen, 

The intent is to have several groups defined per library and there may be up to 50 or so unique permissions in the library.  Then individuals would have sub-folders or files shared with them on an ad-hoc basis.  Our concern is if these ad-hoc share links count against unique permissions it may be possible due to the  large number of items that the 50K unique permissions limit could be  reached.

Thursday, August 16, 2018 8:51 PM
  • Hi Alex,

Yes, this behavior will reach the 50K unique permission limit. When you have 50001 unique permission, you will meet error. 

You need to re-architecting your migration project.

Reference:

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/manage-large-lists-and-libraries-in-sharepoint-b8588dae-9387-48c2-9248-c24122f07c59?redirectSourcePath=%252fen-us%252farticle%252fManage-lists-and-libraries-with-many-items-11ecc804-2284-4978-8273-4842471fafb7&ui=en-US&rs=en-US&ad=US

Best regards,

Allen Bai

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Friday, August 17, 2018 7:05 AM
  • Hi Alex,

If you think my suggestion is helpful, you could mark it as an answer. It will help others who meet the similar question in this forum.

Best regards,

Allen Bai

Monday, August 20, 2018 2:17 AM
  • Hi Alex,

How are things going? I am willing to hear from you.

Best regards,

Allen Bai

Monday, August 27, 2018 8:43 AM