none
Cannot open excel file .xlsm with office 365 + windows 10 Pro RRS feed

• Question

• I have an .xlsm workbook I use for recording my income and expenses. It was supplied with macros by my accountant. I've been using this particular workbook no trouble with Office 365 since July this year, opened every time. No changes have been made to macros, only new data ebtered into cells when I use it.

Suddenly it will not open any more via my desktop, with message:

'Compile error in hidden module: Module 1
    This error commonly occurrs when code is incompatable with
    version, platform or architecture of this application. Click
    'help' for information on how to correct this error.'

I have logged out of Office and in again.
        I have performed an Office repair via Control panel/Programs and Features
        I CAN open the file on my laptop via usb transfer (laptop in Windows 10 Home)
        I CANNOT open the file on my desktop Win 10 Pro via Open Office app either. (unsure if that supports .xlsm files tho)
        I have made a new, test workbook and recorded a simple macro - it opens no trouble.

Version 1910, Build 12130.20390

Thanks
    Blooloo

<menu id="fcltHTML5Menu1" type="context"><menuitem command="context" label="Textise it"></menuitem></menu>
    Tuesday, December 3, 2019 6:22 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hi Blooloo,

I'm not sure if I can understand your situation/Office architecture.

Please check the Office architecture (32-bit or 64-bit). 
    [File] > [Account] > [About Excel]

Macro including some COM addins, some OCX controls (incompatible with 64-bit) does not work with Office 64-bit.

Regards, 

Ashidacchi -- http://hokusosha.com

• Edited by Ashidacchi Tuesday, December 3, 2019 6:58 AM
    Tuesday, December 3, 2019 6:50 AM
  • Hi,

What kind language of Office and Windows did you use?

Did you change the Region in the PC?

Did other computers open this file without problem?

I suggest you check the Macro name in the Workbook and try to change to a simple English name. Go to Developer- Macros- Macro name:

Regards,

Emi Zhang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Office 2019.

Tuesday, December 3, 2019 8:44 AM
  • No, I can't do any editing in Developer/Macros - all disabled by my accountant. They will not enable them as part of policy as it would lead to copyright infringements on their layout and functions.<menu id="fcltHTML5Menu1" type="context"><menuitem command="context" label="Textise it"></menuitem></menu>
    Friday, December 6, 2019 4:09 AM
  • Office 365 subscription.

About Excel says:

Version 1910 (Build 12130.20410 click-to-run) Monthly Channel

Sorry, had the numbers wrong.

<menu id="fcltHTML5Menu1" type="context"><menuitem command="context" label="Textise it"></menuitem></menu>
    Friday, December 6, 2019 4:13 AM
  • Excel 32-bit or 64-bit ???

Sunday, December 8, 2019 12:35 AM
  • 64 bit<menu id="fcltHTML5Menu1" type="context"><menuitem command="context" label="Textise it"></menuitem></menu>
    Sunday, December 8, 2019 2:54 AM
  • Hi Blooloo,

With Excel 64-bit, some controls will not work, so we may encounter errors in VBA and cannot execute it.
    Please refer to this article: Choose between the 64-bit or 32-bit version of Office

If this is your case, you need to use Excel 32-bit.

Regards,

• Edited by Ashidacchi Sunday, December 8, 2019 4:14 AM
    • Marked as answer by Blooloo Tuesday, December 10, 2019 10:12 AM
    Sunday, December 8, 2019 4:08 AM
  • Thanks Ashidacchi - moving to 32 bit did the trick!

Cheers

Blooloo

Tuesday, December 10, 2019 10:13 AM
  • Hi,

Thanks for marking the reply of Ashidacchi as answer, it's pleasure that the information will help you. Here I will provide a brief summary of this post for your information.

[Issue Symptom]:

Cannot open excel file .xlsm with office 365 + windows 10 Pro

[Solution]:

With Excel 64-bit, some controls will not work, so we may encounter errors in VBA and cannot execute it.
    Please refer to this article: Choose between the 64-bit or 32-bit version of Office

If this is your case, you need to use Excel 32-bit.

Regards,

Emi Zhang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Office 2019.

Monday, December 16, 2019 9:31 AM