none
Issues with start menu entries on Server 2019 - "Windows cannot access the specified..." RRS feed

• Question

• I have deployed now a few dozen Server 2019 installs. On all of them multiple start menu entries cannot be clicked, either that rely on mmc.exe or rundll32.exe. I receive message like "C:\Windows\system32\rundll32.exe Windows cannot access the specifified device, path, or file. You may not have appropriate permissions to access the item".

Today's case I am trying to run "Indexing Options" from the start menu, simply typing that into the search and pressing enter gives this on a brand new Server 2019 install. I can repeat this on others. Try launch certificate management same error except for mmc.exe.

I can Win + R and run mmc.exe or rundll32.exe with no error. I can browse to the locations and run the executables. Colleagues where I work have same issues on customers they have rolled this broken server version onto.

What am I missing here? These are brand new servers and can't REDACTED administrate them with the tools provided..? No I am not going to use powershell for simple tasks I don't repeat often. 

• Edited by Dave PatrickMVP, Owner Tuesday, November 19, 2019 12:20 AM profanity is not allowed in forums, banning will be the end result
    Monday, November 18, 2019 2:25 AM

All replies

• Hi,

I want to confirm with you if you obtain the system installation medium from Microsoft Official? 

Choose one of the system which has such problem, try below suggestion:
    1. Patch the system fully with Windows Update/Hotfix, re-start system and check the result.

Windows Server 2019 update history:
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4464619/windows-10-update-history

2. Open CMD with admin permission, type “sfc /scannow” to check/repair system files.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, November 18, 2019 8:24 AM
  • These are the installs provided by HPE like the OEM install media used.

The servers are upto date by sconfig.

Monday, November 18, 2019 11:50 PM
  • Hi,

Since problem happens on newly installed multi systems, if possible, it is recommended to contact the installation medium provider and confirm with them about the package health. Or, request a new one and check the result.

I had tried installation medium such as evaluation which is downloaded from Microsoft Evaluation Center, and there is no such problem on newly installed system.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, November 19, 2019 2:13 AM
  • Hi,

How things are going there on this issue?

Please let me know if you would like further assistance.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang      

Friday, November 22, 2019 2:06 AM
  • Hi,

Is there any update?

Please click “Mark as answer” if any of above reply is helpful. It would make this reply to the top and easier to be found for other people who has the similar problem.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Tuesday, November 26, 2019 7:03 AM