none
Managed metadata columns as search refiners RRS feed

• Question

• I've created a document library and added some managed metadata columns. I want to use these columns as refiners in my search results pages. Does this work on SharePoint online? 

When I go to add a new managed property I can't see any option to select from a managed metadata column, instead I only see text, numeric and a few other options. 

Maybe I can't use MM columns as a refiner?

Monday, October 7, 2013 10:56 AM

Answers

• In SharePoint online, Managed metadata columns must be mapped to a RefinableStringXX so that it can be used as a refiner.

The following text is copied from a SharePoint help link available online -

Refine on managed properties

When you create a new site column in a SharePoint list, the crawler picks up the name of the site column as a new crawled property. SharePoint automatically maps the new crawled property to a new auto-generated managed property. This auto-generated managed property is by default non-refinable.

If you want to use the property as a refiner in the front-end, you must manually map the crawled property to a managed property that is set as refinable. To create a new refinable managed property in SharePoint Online , you must use an existing, unused managed property, and rename it by using an Alias. There's quite a few managed properties available for this purpose. They have names such as "RefinableString00" and "RefinableDate19."

For example, you create a new site column called NewColors, and you want users to be able to use NewColors as an option when they refine on the search results. In the search schema, you choose an unused managed property, for example RefinableString00, and rename the property to New Colors by using an Alias. Then, you map this new managed property to the relevant crawled property.

• Marked as answer by Speedbird85 Monday, October 7, 2013 4:14 PM
    Monday, October 7, 2013 4:12 PM

All replies

• In SharePoint online, Managed metadata columns must be mapped to a RefinableStringXX so that it can be used as a refiner.

The following text is copied from a SharePoint help link available online -

Refine on managed properties

When you create a new site column in a SharePoint list, the crawler picks up the name of the site column as a new crawled property. SharePoint automatically maps the new crawled property to a new auto-generated managed property. This auto-generated managed property is by default non-refinable.

If you want to use the property as a refiner in the front-end, you must manually map the crawled property to a managed property that is set as refinable. To create a new refinable managed property in SharePoint Online , you must use an existing, unused managed property, and rename it by using an Alias. There's quite a few managed properties available for this purpose. They have names such as "RefinableString00" and "RefinableDate19."

For example, you create a new site column called NewColors, and you want users to be able to use NewColors as an option when they refine on the search results. In the search schema, you choose an unused managed property, for example RefinableString00, and rename the property to New Colors by using an Alias. Then, you map this new managed property to the relevant crawled property.

• Marked as answer by Speedbird85 Monday, October 7, 2013 4:14 PM
    Monday, October 7, 2013 4:12 PM
  • But which crawled property should be mapped to for Managed Metadata columns?

For example, you create a new site column of type Managed Metadata called Products and you want users to be able to us Product as an option when refine on the search results. In the search schema, you choose an unused managed property, for example RefinableString00, and rename the property to Product by using an Alias. Then, you map this new managed property to the {???????} crawled property.

For a single Managed Metadata site column named Product we get the following Crawled Properties:

1. ows_Product
    2. ows_taxid_Product
    3. Product

Which one should we map to?

string fakeEmail="jim.duncan@sharesquared.spam.com"; string realEmail=fakeEmail.Replace(".spam","")

Saturday, December 7, 2013 1:40 AM
  • Hi,

It is probably way tool late but you have to use 'ows_Product' in your case.

Balint Bako

• Edited by Balint Bako Wednesday, November 26, 2014 4:54 PM
    • Proposed as answer by Willit40 Tuesday, March 14, 2017 5:07 AM
    Wednesday, November 26, 2014 4:54 PM
  • Hi Jim, use 
    ows_Product for mapping in Managed property

Regards,
    Dhayanand

Wednesday, February 10, 2016 9:40 AM