none
New-SPOSiteGroup : The permission level is not a supported permission.

Question

• Hello, everybody.

I'v got a problem with performing the cmdlet 'New-SPOSiteGroup' on my SharePoint Online sites.

Trying to run
    New-SPOSiteGroup -Site https://companyName.sharepoint.com -Group 'TEST' -PermissionLevels 'Design'

and it reports a error:

New-SPOSiteGroup : The permission level 'Design' is not a supported permission.

It does not work with any other permission level (Full Control, Contribute, whatever) either.

It does not work on any other sites 'inside'. Like https://companyName.sharepoint.com/sites/siteName

The account is a SharePoint admin and has all the required rights. I can create groups via a browser with no problem.

I also can successfully perform all the other cmdlets from Online PowerShell Module.

Any ideas would be great.

Thanks.

Tuesday, July 19, 2016 8:23 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,

If the account connected to SharePoint Online has global admin permission and site admin permission, I suggest you can test the New-SPOSiteGroup command in another site to test if it can work in other site.

More information:

New-SPOSiteGroup

Thanks

Best Regards

TechNet Community Support
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, July 20, 2016 6:16 AM
  • I'v mentioned above, that it does not work on the other sites either.

However, it worked in another tenant. So, i guess the problem relates to this particular tenat.

Thursday, July 28, 2016 1:06 PM
  • The problem is related to the language in which your tenant was created (not the site collection)

Run the following cmdlet:

get-spositegroup -Site $site

and see what you get under ROLES:

These are the results for a site created in English (localeID: 1033).  That means that in order to assign Full Control permission on this tenant, you have to use words "Пълен контрол". The issue will affect ALL site collections in a tenant, because it is related to the default language of the tenant.  

Solution 1:

Use the names from the tenant language, e.g. for me Read Permission = Четене

New-SPOSiteGroup -Site $site -Group "With Teams2" -PermissionLevels Четене

Solution 2:

Recreate permission levels, using "Create custom permission level". You will not be able to use names like "Full Control".

New-SPOSiteGroup -Site $site -Group "With Teams" -PermissionLevels "Customized"

Monday, March 20, 2017 7:37 AM