none
WUSA.exe errors when attempting to install Windows hotfixes

Frage

• When I attempt to install several of the recent compatibility and reliability updates manually from the Microsoft downloads web site, I recieve the following error message:

Installer encountered an error: 0x8007000d

The data is invalid.

In the event log, the error reads:

The Windows update could not be installed because of an error: 2147942413 "The data is invalid." (Command line: ""C:\Windows\system32\wusa.exe" "C:\Windows6.0-KB941649-v2-x86.msu" ")

The specific hotfixes are:

Windows6.0-KB941649-v2-x86

Windows6.0-KB941600-x86

Windows6.0-KB938979-x86

Windows6.0-KB938194-x86

I honestly have no clue where to start with this one. Couldn't find anything relevant online or MS's site. I thought it might be firewall/antivirus blocking problem, but even turning those off accomplished nothing. Any ideas as to what I could try???

Donnerstag, 1. November 2007 14:55

Antworten

•  

Hi BmCutino,

Thank you for the quick response.

I understand that you cannot perform the following command successfully:

takeown /f C:\Windows\winsxs\pending.xml (I am assuming C is your system drive)

The issue can occur if the pending.xml file does not exist in C:\Windows\winsxs.

Now I suggest trying the following command: (Run Command Prompt as Administrator):

reg delete HKLM\COMPONENTS /v StoreDirty

If the issue persists, please try the following suggestions:

Suggestion 1: System File Checker

======================

1. If Windows Vista installation DVD disc is available, please put it into DVD/CD-ROM. If you do not have one, please perform step 3 directly.

2. Click "Exit" if the auto-menu pops up.

3. Click Start, click All Programs, and click Accessories. Right-click Command Prompt and click Run as administrator.

4. Type "SFC /Scannow" (without quotation marks) in the "Open" box, and click "OK".

Note: There is a space between "SFC" and "/Scannow". This command will take several minutes to complete and may require access to the Windows installation source files. Your patience is appreciated.

Suggestion 2: In-Place Upgrade

======================

Note: Although In-place Upgrade only replaces system files and does not affect your programs and files in most cases, I recommend you back up your important files before performing Suggestion 2.

1. Start the computer by using the current Operating System.

2. Insert the Windows Vista DVD in the computer's DVD drive.

3. Use one of the following procedures:

If Windows automatically recognize the DVD, the Install now screen will appears. Click Install now.

If Windows does not automatically recognize the DVD, follow these steps:

a. Click Start, click Run, type Drive:\setup.exe, and then click OK.

Note: "Drive" is the drive letter of the computer's DVD drive.

b. Click Install now.

4. When you reach the "Which type of installation do you want?" screen, click Upgrade to upgrade the current operating system to Windows Vista.

Now, let's run Windows Update to check the result.

I look forward to your feedback.

Best regards,

Tim Quan

Microsoft Online Community Support

Donnerstag, 22. November 2007 06:23
  • Success!

I was discouraged after trying to do the in-place upgrade, as it failed three times previously.  What I realized I did not try was SFC / Scannow command.  Although it repaired windows at 99% and claimed some files could not be repaired, I tried the reinstall after that.  Behold, it worked.

Order must be followed it seems:

Going back to Tim's last post, one needs to:

Run step II, following the sfc/scannow line and then do the in-place upgrade.  After that, I had to reinstall every single update (long and tedious) but it works.

Thanks everyone for all your help.

Sincerely,

Bmc

Dienstag, 27. November 2007 05:42

Alle Antworten

•  

Hi dgardner123,

Thank you for your post.

First I would like to know if you checked updates through Control Panel->Windows Update. If not, please have a try. Actually, we only need to install updates listed there. If no update is available, it means that your computer is up-to-date and all updates have been installed.

Please understand that Microsoft has released many updates for Vista for different kinds of system environments. However, not all updates are available to your system as some are for other system environments. Therefore, you may not be able to install some updates as they are not compatible with your computer. For example, you cannot install an Office 2000 update if Office 2000 is not installed on your computer.

Therefore, I recommend you download updates from Automatic Updates or Control Panel->Windows Update. It will offer appropriate updates for you automatically.

If any issue is encountered in scanning or installing updates through Control Panel->Windows Update, please let me know and I am glad to be of assistance.

Hope it helps.

Best regards,

Tim Quan

Microsoft Vista Forum Support Professional

Freitag, 2. November 2007 09:01
  • Wow that quite possibly had to be the dumbest post I've ever read by a microsoft representitive. Did you even read my original post?! Anyways, anyone with the same problem can follow this link, I think that it can be solved. And if worst comes to worst, reinstall Vista as a last resort.

http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2354895&SiteID=17

Montag, 5. November 2007 01:06
  •  

Hi dgardner123,

Thank you for the reply.

I understand that you posted a same thread in the Application queue and received some suggestions there.

Please understand our team do not monitor that queue so that I do not know about that post. Actually, we do not recommend customers post the same issue in two threads. This may cause confusions and decrease efficiency.

Generally, update issues can be caused by incompatible third-party programs or corrupt Windows Update components.

However, as a Microsoft support professional, I need to get a clear idea of the issue before providing my suggestions. Guessing or assuming an issue can cause misunderstanding and wrong suggestions. Thank you for your understanding.

For this issue please help to clarify the following points.

Have you scanned updates through Control Panel->Windows Update? If so, can you please let me know the result? Does any error code or message appear using this method to download updates?

I look forward to hearing from you.

Best regards,

Tim Quan

Dienstag, 6. November 2007 07:36
  • yes, windows update through the control panel works just fine. I am having a problem with the windows stand-alone installer, which is used for installing stand-alone updates that are not automatically available through the windows update program. The specific updates are listed above and are fully compatible with Vista Business 32-bit. If it is indeed a problem with corrupt windows update components, then what could that problem be and what can I do to fix it.

Dienstag, 6. November 2007 08:48
  •  

Hi dgardner123,

From your reply, I understand that all updates have been successfully installed through Control Panel->Windows Update. However, some updates that are not offered by the Windows Update program cannot be manually installed. If there is any misunderstanding, please let me know.

As I said in my initial post, not all Vista updates are compatible with your computer. The Windows Update program in Control Panel will automatically judge and offer all necessary updates for you. In other words, those updates which haven't been offered are not compatible with your computer and you cannot manually install them. You only need to ensure that all updates offered by the Windows Update program are installed.

The installation failure of those incompatible updates does not mean your Windows Update components have been corrupted. If updates can be installed through the Windows Update program, we can infer your Windows Update components are working properly.

Therefore, please feel free to ignore this “issue” (this is not an issue but a normal phenomenon) and download updates through Control Panel-> Windows Update in the future.

If anything is unclear, please do not hesitate to let me know.

Hope it helps.

Best regards,

Tim Quan

Mittwoch, 7. November 2007 09:57
  • Sorry Tim, but I have to disagree. These updates have not yet been released to anyone using Vista, and they are indeed compatible with my OS, Vista Business 32-bit. The updates are scheduled to be part of Vista's SP1. Microsofts own pages say that they apply to Vista Business. My other concern is that if I am receiving WUSA errors when trying to install these updates, will I receive the same error when I attempt to install SP1 when it is released next year. If you would like the links to the specific KB articles:

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=941649

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=941600

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=938979

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=938194

Donnerstag, 8. November 2007 00:16
  •  

Hi dgardner123,

Thank you for the reply.

I have performed a further research on this issue.

First I would like to apologize that my previous opinion on this issue is not fully correct.

I noticed that the four updates you mentioned are hotfixes. Previously, most hotfixes were not released to public, and they were not available from Windows Update. Therefore, if customers want to get them, they need to contact our Microsoft Support, and the support engineer will send the hotfixes to them. However, the four hotfixes have been released to the public now. I feel sorry that I did not release this point at first.

Now let’s focus on our issue.

Based on the current situation, I suggest trying to install them in Safe Mode.

If they still cannot be installed, please return to Normal Mode and try the following method:

1. Create a new folder in D:\ and name it as 941649.

2. Download KB941649 to D:\941649 from the following site:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=E3992046-32B9-4A0D-9E02-ACBA698AA675&displaylang=en

3. Click Start->All Programs->Accessories. Right-click Command Prompt and click Run as administrator.

4. Type the following line and press Enter.

wusa.exe d:\941649\Windows6.0-KB941649-v2-x86.msu

Please check if KB941649 can be installed successfully.

If it can be installed, please use the same method to install the other three hotfixes.

For your reference, here are some related articles about Wusa.exe:

Description of the Windows Update Stand-alone Installer (Wusa.exe) and of .msu files in Windows Vista

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/934307/en-us

Error message when you install an .msu update package on a computer that is running Windows Vista: "The Windows Modules Installer must be updated before you can install this package"

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/925316/en-us

Error message when you try to install a hotfix on a Windows Vista-based computer in a domain: "Installer encountered an error: 0x8007177f. This machine is disabled for file encryption"

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/933595/en-us

When you run Wusa.exe together with the /quiet option to try to install certain software packages on a Windows Vista-based computer, the installation fails

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929761/en-us

Hope it helps.

Best regards,

Tim Quan

Freitag, 9. November 2007 01:58
  •  

Hi dgardner123,

As this thread has been quiet for a while, we assume that the issue has been resolved. At this time, we will mark it as ‘Answered’ as the previous steps should be helpful for many similar scenarios.

If the issue still persists and you want to return to this question, please reply this post directly so we will be notified to follow it up. You can also choose to unmark the answer as you wish.

In addition, we’d love to hear your feedback about the solution. By sharing your experience you can help other community members facing similar problems.

Thanks!

Best regards,

Tim Quan

Dienstag, 13. November 2007 05:30
  • I've been having a problem with installing the new Vista update 941649.  Using automatic update, I get the

Code 80073712 as an error when trying to install it.  When trying to install it via standalone, I get "The Windows update "Update for Windows (KB941649)" could not be installed because of an error: 2149842978 "" (Command line: ""C:\Windows\system32\wusa.exe" "C:\Users\Brian Cutino\Desktop\Windows6.0-KB941649-v2-x64.msu" ")" in the event viewer.

I'm on Ultimate 64 bit and have tried installing it via Command prompt, removing storediry registry file (didn't find anything) and clearing the window's update history.

Anyhelp with this will be helpful.

Thank you,

Bmc

Donnerstag, 15. November 2007 07:41
  • Sorry I'm late getting back on this one.

I have tried these recommendations before. Attempting to install the hotfixes in safe mode did not work in both the windows installer and the command prompt. Same thing in normal mode. This makes me believe that WUSA.exe or something else involved is corrupt.

I tried to "upgrade" Vista with it's original disk, but that also had no effect. I have not tried a full reinstallation, but that is my last resort, especially if I am hindered from installing SP1 when it arrives.

I am reopening this thread as being unanswered.

Donnerstag, 15. November 2007 20:45
  •  

Hi dgardner123,

Thank you for the response.

Now let’s try the following suggestions:

Step 1

=======

1. Click Start, type MSCONFIG in the Search Bar and Press Enter to start the System Configuration Utility.

Note: Please click Continue if the "User Account Control" window pops up.

2. Click the Services tab, check the "Hide All Microsoft Services" box and click Disable All (if it is not gray).
    3. Click the Startup tab, click Disable All and click OK.
    4. Restart the computer.

Note: Clean Boot is a troubleshooting step. If some programs have been disabled during the troubleshooting, we can re-enable them later. If there appears System Configuration Utility , check the box of "Don't show this message" and then click OK.

Step 2

=======

1.    Click Start -> All Programs -> Accessories.

2.    Right-click Command Prompt and click Run as administrator.

3.    Type the following line and press Enter:

fsutil resource setautoreset true C:\

Step 3

=======

1. Click Start, in Start Search item, type: "notepad" (without quotes) and press Enter.

2. Copy the following commands and then paste them into the opened Notepad window:

net stop wuauserv

ren %windir%\SoftwareDistribution SD.old

net start wuauserv

3. After pasting the above commands, please close the Notepad window. Choose Save when you are prompted to save the file. Type "register.bat" as the file name and choose Desktop from the left panel as the location.

4. Refer to the Desktop and right click the register.bat file, then choose Run as administrator.

5. You will see a DOS-like window processing.

Then try to install these hotfixes again.

If the issue persists, please send me the following files for further research:

Screenshot

=============

1. When the error message appears, press Print Screen (Pr Scrn) (next to the F12 button) to capture a screen shot.

2. From Start, type "MSPAINT" (without the quotation marks) in the Open box, and then click OK.

3. Use Ctrl + V to paste the screen shot to the canvas.

4. From the File menu, go to Save and save as a JPG file.

WindowsUpdate.log

=============

1. Click Start->Run, type: %windir% and press OK.

2. Locate a file named "WindowsUpdate.log". Please be aware that there may be another file named "Windows Update.log". I am requesting the file without a space in the middle of the name.

Event Log

=============

1. Click Start button, input "eventvwr" (without the quotation marks) and press Enter.

2. In the left pane, click Windows logs to expand the subfolders.

3. Right-click Setup and click Filter Current Log.

4. Choose WUSA in the “Event sources” dropdown menu and click OK.

5. Right-click Setup and click Save Filtered Log File As…. Choose Desktop in the left list, and save the log file using WUSA as the name.

Please send above files to SCEDATA@microsoft.com.

Note: Please include the following three lines in the email body:

WUSA.exe errors when attempting to install Windows hotfixes

http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2352775&SiteID=17

Tim Quan - MSFT

Thanks.

Best regards,

Tim Quan

Freitag, 16. November 2007 08:09
  • Hi Tim,

I tired your instructions, but still no luck.  I'll take a screen shot and provide more information.  I am on the phone with a technical assistant from Microsft and he suggested to run this in the command prompt as an adminstrator:

net stop wuauserv

net stop bits

net stop cryptsvc

cls

regsvr32 wups2.dll /u /s

regsvr32 licdll.dll /u /s

regsvr32 regwizc.dll /u /s

regsvr32 msxml.dll /u /s

regsvr32 msxml2.dll /u /s

regsvr32 msxml3.dll /u /s

regsvr32 comcat.dll /u /s

regsvr32 shdoc401.dll /u /s

regsvr32 asctrls.ocx /u /s

regsvr32 oleaut32.dll /u /s

regsvr32 shdocvw.dll /u /s

regsvr32 browseui.dll /u /s

regsvr32 msrating.dll /u /s

regsvr32 mlang.dll /u /s

regsvr32 hlink.dll /u /s

regsvr32 mshtmled.dll /u /s

regsvr32 urlmon.dll /u /s

regsvr32 plugin.ocx /u /s

regsvr32 sendmail.dll /u /s

regsvr32 scrobj.dll /u /s

regsvr32 mmefxe.ocx /u /s

regsvr32 corpol.dll /u /s

regsvr32 jscript.dll /u /s

regsvr32 imgutil.dll /u /s

regsvr32 thumbvw.dll /u /s

regsvr32 cryptext.dll /u /s

regsvr32 rsabase.dll /u /s

regsvr32 inseng.dll /u /s

regsvr32 iesetup.dll /u /s

regsvr32 cryptdlg.dll /u /s

regsvr32 actxprxy.dll /u /s

regsvr32 dispex.dll /u /s

regsvr32 occache.dll /u /s

regsvr32 iepeers.dll /u /s

regsvr32 cdfview.dll /u /s

regsvr32 webcheck.dll /u /s

regsvr32 mobsync.dll /u /s

regsvr32 pngfilt.dll /u /s

regsvr32 licmgr10.dll /u /s

regsvr32 icmfilter.dll /u s

regsvr32 hhctrl.ocx /u /s

regsvr32 inetcfg.dll /u /s

regsvr32 tdc.ocx /u /s

regsvr32 msr2c.dll /u /s

regsvr32 msident.dll /u /s

regsvr32 msieftp.dll /u /s

regsvr32 xmsconf.ocx /u /s

regsvr32 ils.dll /u /s

regsvr32 msoeacct.dll /u /s

regsvr32 inetcomm.dll /u /s

regsvr32 msdxm.ocx /u /s

regsvr32 dxmasf.dll /u /s

regsvr32 l3codecx.ax /u /s

regsvr32 acelpdec.ax /u /s

regsvr32 mpg4ds32.ax /u /s

regsvr32 voxmsdec.ax /u /s

regsvr32 danim.dll /u /s

regsvr32 daxctle.ocx /u /s

regsvr32 lmrt.dll /u /s

regsvr32 datime.dll /u /s

regsvr32 dxtrans.dll /u /s

regsvr32 dxtmsft.dll /u /s

regsvr32 webpost.dll /u /s

regsvr32 wpwizdll.dll /u /s

regsvr32 postwpp.dll /u /s

regsvr32 crswpp.dll /u /s

regsvr32 ftpwpp.dll /u /s

regsvr32 fpwpp.dll /u /s

regsvr32 wuapi.dll /u /s

regsvr32 atl.dll /u /s

regsvr32 wucltui.dll /u /s

regsvr32 wups.dll /u /s

regsvr32 wuweb.dll /u /s

regsvr32 wshom.ocx /u /s

regsvr32 wshext.dll /u /s

regsvr32 vbscript.dll /u /s

regsvr32 scrrun.dll mstinit.exe /setup /u /s

regsvr32 msnsspc.dll /SspcCreateSspiReg /u /s

regsvr32 msapsspc.dll /SspcCreateSspiReg /u /s

regsvr32 urlmon.dll /u /s

regsvr32 initpki.dll /u /s

regsvr32 mssip32.dll /u /s

regsvr32 wintrust.dll /u /s

regsvr32 dssenh.dll /u /s

regsvr32 rsaenh.dll /u /s

regsvr32 gpkcsp.dll /u /s

regsvr32 sccbase.dll /u /s

regsvr32 slbcsp.dll /u /s

regsvr32 msxml4.dll /u /s

regsvr32 msxml5.dll /u /s

regsvr32 msxml6.dll /u /s

regsvr32 msi.dll /u /s

regsvr32 msihnd.dll /u /s

msiexec.exe /u /s

regsvr32 qmgr.dll /u /s

regsvr32 qmgrprxy.dll /u /s

cls

ren C:\windows\SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.Old

ren C:\Windows\System32\catroot2 catroot2.old

cls

regsvr32 wups2.dll

regsvr32 licdll.dll

regsvr32 regwizc.dll

regsvr32 msxml.dll

regsvr32 msxml2.dll

regsvr32 msxml3.dll

regsvr32 comcat.dll

regsvr32 shdoc401.dll

regsvr32 asctrls.ocx

regsvr32 oleaut32.dll

regsvr32 shdocvw.dll

regsvr32 browseui.dll

regsvr32 msrating.dll

regsvr32 mlang.dll

regsvr32 hlink.dll

regsvr32 mshtmled.dll

regsvr32 urlmon.dll

regsvr32 plugin.ocx

regsvr32 sendmail.dll

regsvr32 scrobj.dll

regsvr32 mmefxe.ocx

regsvr32 corpol.dll

regsvr32 jscript.dll

regsvr32 imgutil.dll

regsvr32 thumbvw.dll

regsvr32 cryptext.dll

regsvr32 rsabase.dll

regsvr32 inseng.dll

regsvr32 iesetup.dll

regsvr32 cryptdlg.dll

regsvr32 actxprxy.dll

regsvr32 dispex.dll

regsvr32 occache.dll

regsvr32 iepeers.dll

regsvr32 cdfview.dll

regsvr32 webcheck.dll

regsvr32 mobsync.dll

regsvr32 pngfilt.dll

regsvr32 licmgr10.dll

regsvr32 icmfilter.dll

regsvr32 hhctrl.ocx

regsvr32 inetcfg.dll

regsvr32 tdc.ocx

regsvr32 msr2c.dll

regsvr32 msident.dll

regsvr32 msieftp.dll

regsvr32 xmsconf.ocx

regsvr32 ils.dll

regsvr32 msoeacct.dll

regsvr32 inetcomm.dll

regsvr32 msdxm.ocx

regsvr32 dxmasf.dll

regsvr32 l3codecx.ax

regsvr32 acelpdec.ax

regsvr32 mpg4ds32.ax

regsvr32 voxmsdec.ax

regsvr32 danim.dll

regsvr32 daxctle.ocx

regsvr32 lmrt.dll

regsvr32 datime.dll

regsvr32 dxtrans.dll

regsvr32 dxtmsft.dll

regsvr32 webpost.dll

regsvr32 wpwizdll.dll

regsvr32 postwpp.dll

regsvr32 crswpp.dll

regsvr32 ftpwpp.dll

regsvr32 fpwpp.dll

regsvr32 wuapi.dll

regsvr32 wuaueng.dll

regsvr32 atl.dll

regsvr32 wucltui.dll

regsvr32 wups.dll

regsvr32 wuweb.dll

regsvr32 wshom.ocx

regsvr32 wshext.dll

regsvr32 vbscript.dll

regsvr32 scrrun.dll mstinit.exe /setup

regsvr32 msnsspc.dll /SspcCreateSspiReg

regsvr32 msapsspc.dll /SspcCreateSspiReg

regsvr32 urlmon.dll

regsvr32 initpki.dll

regsvr32 mssip32.dll

regsvr32 wintrust.dll

regsvr32 dssenh.dll

regsvr32 rsaenh.dll

regsvr32 gpkcsp.dll

regsvr32 sccbase.dll

regsvr32 slbcsp.dll

regsvr32 msxml4.dll

regsvr32 msxml5.dll

regsvr32 msxml6.dll

regsvr32 msi.dll

regsvr32 msihnd.dll

msiexec.exe /r

regsvr32 qmgr.dll

regsvr32 qmgrprxy.dll

fsutil resource setautoreset true c:\

net start wuauserv

net start bits

net start cryptsvc

cls

exit

regsvr32 wuaueng.dll /u /s

Tried it and it still didn't work.  This is an interesting one; I'm pretty stumped what it could be.

Samstag, 17. November 2007 16:05
  • Well, after that didn't work, it was recommended to repair Vista by doing the upgrade again.  I tried that three times.  Twice I did it with "connect to the internet to get the latest updates" and once without that.  All three times the upgrade did not work (told me at the very end that a file could not be installed).  So, I guess I"ll wait for the next update to hopefully fix it.  I would guess my next option would be to format the hardrive and reinstall everything, which I'm not prepared to do at this point.

Sonntag, 18. November 2007 23:30
  •  

Hi BmCutino,

Thank you for the post.

If you have tried all the suggestions in my previous posts but the issue persists, let’s try the steps below now:

Step 1 Rename Windows Update Temporary folders

======================

1. Click Start, in Start Search item, type: "notepad" (without quotes) and press Enter.

2. Copy the following commands and then paste them into the opened Notepad window:

net stop wuauserv

net stop Cryptsvc

cd /d %windir%\SoftwareDistribution

rd /s /q DataStore

ren %windir%\system32\catroot2 catroot2.old

net start wuauserv

net start Cryptsvc

3. After pasting the above commands, please close the Notepad window. Choose Save when you are prompted to save the file. Type "register.bat" as the file name and choose Desktop from the left panel as the location.

4. Refer to the Desktop and right click the register.bat file, then choose Run as administrator.

5. You will see a DOS-like window processing.

Step 2 System File Checker

======================

1. If we have Windows Vista installation DVD disc, Please put it in the DVD/CD-ROM, if not, Please perform step 3 directly.

3. Click start, click All Programs, click Accessories. Right-click Command Prompt and click Run as administrator.

4. Type "SFC /Scannow" (without quotation marks) in the "Open" box, and click "OK".

Note: There is a space between "SFC" and "/Scannow". This command will take several minutes to complete and may require access to the Windows installation source files.

Step 3 Reinstall Windows Update Agent 3.0

======================

1. Download Windows Update Agent 3.0 to D:\ from the following link:

http://download.windowsupdate.com/v7/windowsupdate/redist/standalone/WindowsUpdateAgent30-x86.exe

Note: Please do not download it to the system drive (C:\). Otherwise, we cannot install it.

2. Click start, click All Programs, click Accessories. Right-click Command Prompt and click Run as administrator.

3. Type the following command and press Enter.

D:\WindowsUpdateAgent30-x86.exe /wuforce

Note: There is a space between “D:\WindowsUpdateAgent30-x86.exe” and “/wuforce”.

Then try to install the updates again.

If they still cannot be installed, please send me the files I requested in my previous post.

Thank you for your understanding and cooperation.

I am standing by for your update.

Best regards,

Tim Quan

Montag, 19. November 2007 08:41
  • Thanks for the quick reply time and your help.  Alrighty, here is the latest:

I ran the register.bat file.  When I ran step 2, it said "99% complete" but could not repair all of the components.

When I did step three, I had to download the 64-bit version as I have Ultimate 64-bit.  I did the run it as an administrator via Comand Prompt from another drive.  It said "no need to install, there is already a verison working."

I tried to search for updates, and this time it said no updates found.  No go with the stand alone installer.  Eventually, Vista found the update again and could not install.

Tim, thanks again for your help. 

My Best,

B. Cutino

Dienstag, 20. November 2007 12:45
  •  

Hi BmCutino,

Thank you for sending me the files.

I have performed a research on these files and now I would like to provide the following suggestion:

1. In the Start menu, locate "Command Prompt". Right-click and choose "Run as Administrator". If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

2. Type the following commands, then press Enter to execute them one by one. Please note the space before the command and its parameter.

takeown /f C:\Windows\winsxs\pending.xml

cacls C:\Windows\winsxs\pending.xml /G <YourUsername>:F

Note: Please replace <YourUsername> with your logon user name.

3. Please refer to C:\windows\winsxs, and rename the file “pending.xml” to “pendingOLD.xml”.

4. Please reboot the machine.

5. Download and install WUA 3.0 file from the following link:

Windows Vista (32bit)

http://download.windowsupdate.com/v7/windowsupdate/redist/standalone/WindowsUpdateAgent30-x86.exe

Note: If the system is 64bit, please download and install WUA 3.0 for 64bit from the link below:

Windows Vista (64bit)

http://download.windowsupdate.com/v7/windowsupdate/redist/standalone/WindowsUpdateAgent30-x64.exe

Please try to install the update in Control Panel -> Windows Update again.

Hope it helps.

Best regards,

Tim Quan

Mittwoch, 21. November 2007 09:17
  • Thanks Tim.

With the command prompt, it could not find the file specified (pending.xml).

I even was becoming curiours and tried playing around:

I changed the commands to:

takeown /f C:\Windows\system32\wusa.exe

cacls C:\Windows\system32\wusa.exe /G myusername:F

THe first line was a success, the second didn't work and said "invalid arguments."  My user name is correct, and I tried it with and without <>.  I played aroudn with the spacing for :F and my user name. 

When I tried reinstalling the 64-bit standalone, it still didn't work saying "it's already installed."

I do think that installing the standalone will solve the problem.  In the past, I removed the pending.xml file (which is why it's not already there, going with instructions from another blog.  I recall that the only problem was just reinstalling the wusa.exe, like i'm having now.

Thanks again Tim,

Bmc

Mittwoch, 21. November 2007 15:15
  •  

Hi BmCutino,

I understand that you cannot perform the following command successfully:

takeown /f C:\Windows\winsxs\pending.xml (I am assuming C is your system drive)

The issue can occur if the pending.xml file does not exist in C:\Windows\winsxs.

Now I suggest trying the following command: (Run Command Prompt as Administrator):

reg delete HKLM\COMPONENTS /v StoreDirty

If the issue persists, please try the following suggestions:

Suggestion 1: System File Checker

======================

1. If Windows Vista installation DVD disc is available, please put it into DVD/CD-ROM. If you do not have one, please perform step 3 directly.

3. Click Start, click All Programs, and click Accessories. Right-click Command Prompt and click Run as administrator.

Note: There is a space between "SFC" and "/Scannow". This command will take several minutes to complete and may require access to the Windows installation source files. Your patience is appreciated.

Suggestion 2: In-Place Upgrade

======================

Note: Although In-place Upgrade only replaces system files and does not affect your programs and files in most cases, I recommend you back up your important files before performing Suggestion 2.

1. Start the computer by using the current Operating System.

2. Insert the Windows Vista DVD in the computer's DVD drive.

3. Use one of the following procedures:

If Windows automatically recognize the DVD, the Install now screen will appears. Click Install now.

If Windows does not automatically recognize the DVD, follow these steps:

a. Click Start, click Run, type Drive:\setup.exe, and then click OK.

Note: "Drive" is the drive letter of the computer's DVD drive.

b. Click Install now.

4. When you reach the "Which type of installation do you want?" screen, click Upgrade to upgrade the current operating system to Windows Vista.

Now, let's run Windows Update to check the result.

I look forward to your feedback.

Best regards,

Tim Quan

Donnerstag, 22. November 2007 06:23
  •  

Hi dgardner123 and BmCutino,  

As this thread has been quiet for a while, we assume that the issue has been resolved. At this time, we will mark it as ‘Answered’ as the previous steps should be helpful for many similar scenarios.

If the issue still persists and you want to return to this question, please reply this post directly so we will be notified to follow it up. You can also choose to unmark the answer as you wish.

In addition, we’d love to hear your feedback about the solution. By sharing your experience you can help other community members facing similar problems.

Thanks!

Best regards,

Tim Quan

Montag, 26. November 2007 02:09
  • I was away during the last week for Thanksgiving.  See the next post.
    Montag, 26. November 2007 03:28
  • Tim,

I ran the Store Dirty line in command prompt, but it could not be deleted as the registry value could not be found.

I did try the System File checker and it came up as 99% complete, but could not repair all files.

I tried the in-place upgrade three times.  Twice, selecting the option to install updates from the internet and once, to not install any updates from the internet.  All instances failed at the very end of the 2 hour installation period.

I would think my next option is to reformat my hard drive and install the operating system.  Naturally, I am not willing to do that at this point because of the hassell of reinstalling my files and the license I have with windows is an upgrade verison.

Tomorrow I'm expected to have a call with the Microsoft research team to assist with the matter.  I'll post what comes of that conversation.

Thanks again for your help.

~Bmc

Montag, 26. November 2007 03:35
  • I was contacted by Microsoft today.  Turns out the Microsoft research team has had 10-12 other reports of this specific error with similar symptoms.  Tomorrow they will get together into a room and try to work it out.  The most successful method of solving this problem they said was to do the in-place upgrade.  They have also experienced other users that had difficulty in completing the upgrade and as a result, are working to figure out the problem.  Microsoft said they will contact me with an update tomorrow wherey might have a fix, a work around, or just need more time.

I'll keep the world posted.

Regards,

Bmc

Dienstag, 27. November 2007 01:09
  • Success!

I was discouraged after trying to do the in-place upgrade, as it failed three times previously.  What I realized I did not try was SFC / Scannow command.  Although it repaired windows at 99% and claimed some files could not be repaired, I tried the reinstall after that.  Behold, it worked.

Order must be followed it seems:

Going back to Tim's last post, one needs to:

Run step II, following the sfc/scannow line and then do the in-place upgrade.  After that, I had to reinstall every single update (long and tedious) but it works.

Thanks everyone for all your help.

Sincerely,

Bmc

Dienstag, 27. November 2007 05:42
  • Hi Bmc,

Thank you for sharing with us about how you resolve this issue.

I do appreciate your time and effort on this issue.

I believe your experience on troubleshooting this issue will be very helpful for others who encounter the same issue.

At this time, I will mark this thread as “Answered”. If you have other issues regarding Windows Vista, please feel free to post new threads.

Have a good day.

Best regards,

Tim Quan

Mittwoch, 28. November 2007 01:47
  • Hi I have many issues with KB941649 update.

> Frist for days it would not install for no reason on my Vista Business OS Sony Vaio Laptop

> Then after searchingn on the web I downloaded the hotfix KB941649 directly from MS support sire and installed it

> But my system everday prompts me install it. 

> why is the system NOT recogniszing that the update is already installed on my machine?

> why is that MS does not built this minimum intelligence into its update monitoring fixes. 

>>>> It shoud first verify if the update is already there, and if NOT then prompt for installing it.

But now I am sick as the tray pop=up comes saying new updates available and shows KB941649 i avalable for update.

I tried that Three times installing it again, everytime I do that, it fails for "GOD knows" what reasons. and prompts for re-boot of the system.

Is there a permanent fix for this problem?

Please suggest

Thanks in Advance

Sonntag, 9. Dezember 2007 19:31
  • I found this page through google. I'm having problems installing SP1 RC1. Mid way while the progress bar is moving... the msg with 0x8007000d pops up. I'm using a Vista Ultimate Upgrade. Please kindly assist. I'll be in Shanghai from next week and may not be able to access my com.
    Donnerstag, 13. Dezember 2007 18:24
  • Right on topic...I just bought a new laptop with Vista Home Premium pre loaded.  When I run windows update it tries to install KB941649...but fails.  Windows update indicates this is a recommended update.  The failure code is: 80073715.

Any thoughts?

Freitag, 14. Dezember 2007 21:05
  • Installation of KB941600 causes the SFC corruption problem.   I had the same problem on my computer after applying a block of windows updates.  I backed it out using the "inplace upgrade" and verified that SFC reported no problems.  I then went through the windows updates one by one doing SFC in between them.    After I applied KB941600, SFC started reporting corrupt files at 98% even though nothing was reported as corrupt in CBS.Log.    At this point I did a web search for "KB941600 SFC Corrupt" and found out that a lot of other people are having the same problem, and that it's believed to be a false corruption report.   I also found and & confirmed myself that neither an uninstall of KB941600 or a system restore to before it resolves the SFC corrupt file report.   We really need a fix for the SFC problem introduced by KB941600, so that SFC can be used again.

Samstag, 5. Januar 2008 06:48
  • Download .dll/.ocx.
    File causing high CPU usage, System is slow, hangs frequently? It's must be spyware.Spyware can delete/replace system files in your computer,getting your bank account details, computer passwords, email passwords,ebay & paypal account info,monitor or control your computer use.Award-winning spyware protection to secure your PC,download Spyware Doctor.Recommended by experts and editors around the world as the best Anti-Spyware.Best Spyware Removal. Used by Millions World Wide.
    Donnerstag, 17. Juni 2010 10:42