remove computer from domain without losing data or programs RRS feed

• Question

• Our organization is moving away (rather quickly) from using a domain controller and domain logins to using Microsoft account logins.

Is there a way to remove my laptop from the domain WITHOUT losing any data or my installed applications?

I would just do a Windows re-install, but I no longer have installation media for several programs I rely on.

TIA,

Monday, August 5, 2019 10:13 PM

All replies

• Open Control Panel [icon view]

Advanced system settings 

Click on the Change button in the Computer Name tab.

Select (dot) Workgroup, type the workgroup name  you want to be a member of after leaving the domain, and click on OK

Click OK

Type the user name and password of an administrator account from this PC

Click OK

Restart.

S.Sengupta,Microsoft MVP Windows and Devices for IT, Windows Insider MVP

Tuesday, August 6, 2019 12:59 AM
  • Hi,

I noticed you will switch with your Microsoft account login. If you leave domain and use local account to sign in PC, we will not access data and application which located in domain account. So backup your data at first.

Then we could leave domain with S.Sengupta's suggestion.

Bests,  

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, August 6, 2019 6:00 AM
  • Yes, that's what I'm afraid of: my applications and data were installed using the domain account. When I log in to the local account, won't I lose access to those files and applications?

For example, my data is all in c:\users\domain-account-name\documents, etc. When I leave the domain then I'll be pointing to c:\users\local-account-name\documents, etc. Will I be able to get the the documents in the domain user folder with the new login?

Also, I'm not sure I know the administrator account password on the PC. It was set up over 10 years ago (transferred from one computer to another over the years).

Thanks,

Tuesday, August 6, 2019 2:05 PM
  • Hi,

Yes, we will lost access right to domain account data and program even if we use an administrator user account. So that is why we need to back up data at first.

Bests,

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, August 7, 2019 2:56 PM
  • Hmmm. So the original question is still on the table: how do I do this without losing my programs. I understand about backing up data, but what about my apps?

Thanks,

Wednesday, August 7, 2019 5:02 PM
  • Hi,

Application need to reinstall again on local account. Some third party software might be useful for backing up settings and application, but it is not for free. Such as PCmoverProfessional which is a tool created by Microsoft's partner, Laplink. But I think there is no need to download it, re-install is not a very trouble thing for a single personal PC.

https://pcmover-10.laplink.com/

Please Note: Since the website is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Bests,

• Edited by Joy-Qiao Thursday, August 8, 2019 1:28 AM
    Thursday, August 8, 2019 1:23 AM
  • Hi,

Haven't received your message a few days, was your issue resolved? 

If any reply is helpful, please remember to mark it as answer which can help other community members who have same questions and find the helpful reply quickly.

Bests,

Thursday, August 15, 2019 9:30 AM