none
IP conflict error message but there is no IP conflict. RRS feed

• Question

• Looking for some help. I have a single user that is getting an IP conflict error message. I set a static not within DHCP range to test. To my surprise the IP was open to be used. I did a little bit of research and someone brought up duplicate MAC addresses. I thought it could be a long shot but after reviewing the DHCP leases there were no duplicate MAC address. Any ideas?
    Tuesday, November 26, 2019 7:34 PM

All replies

• A duplicate MAC address is very, very rare. Like lottery rare. You could set a reservation for a different DHCP IP for that client's Mac address to see if it still gets a conflict. Now when you set the client's IP to static, where you able to ping the original IP address to find a rogue device?
    Tuesday, November 26, 2019 8:10 PM
  • Hi,

>>I did a little bit of research and someone brought up duplicate MAC addresses.

It is a rare situation and you can ignore this reason.

We advise you to use APR command to test if the IP is conflict.

You can refer the following article about the ARP command:

https://documentation.its.umich.edu/node/523

Please Note: Since the web site is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Hope this can help you, if you have anything unclear, please let me know.

Have a nice day!

Ellen

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, November 27, 2019 9:20 AM
  • Hi,

Just checking in to see if the information provided was helpful.

Please let us know if you would like further assistance.

Best Regards,

Ellen

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, November 29, 2019 7:10 AM
  • Hi,

As this thread has been quiet for a while, we will propose it as ‘Answered’ as the information provided should be helpful.

If you need further help, please feel free to reply this post directly so we will be notified to follow it up. You can also choose to unmark the answer as you wish.

Best regards,

Ellen

Monday, December 2, 2019 9:01 AM